Kiel to Lubeck train help, gefallen und danke!

We are a family of four, boys are 17 & 15, in Kiel on Tues July 9 on HAL Eurodam 7a-5p. We want to go to Lubeck, maybe with a stop in between in Plon or Eutin if time and tickets permit, on the train, fairly experienced traveling family. Looking for Heinblod level detail. We are asking for what tickets and realistically what time leaving Kiel and returning. I have read Heinblod's details on his website, amazing that peope are so helpful. Do the machines in Kiel accept American credit cards? Unless I am mistaken, if we take the 8:04 train, we can use a group ticket. Am I correct? Is a group pass for 30.20 euros good for one way or round trip? We appreciate the help.

We are a family of four, boys are 17 & 15, in Kiel on Tues July 9 on HAL Eurodam 7a-5p. We want to go to Lubeck, maybe with a stop in between in Plon or Eutin if time and tickets permit, on the train, fairly experienced traveling family. Looking for Heinblod level detail. We are asking for what tickets and realistically what time leaving Kiel and returning. I have read Heinblod's details on his website, amazing that peope are so helpful. Do the machines in Kiel accept American credit cards? Unless I am mistaken, if we take the 8:04 train, we can use a group ticket. Am I correct? Is a group pass for 30.20 euros good for one way or round trip? We appreciate the help.

Hi, the train service between Kiel and Lübeck is fast and frequent. If you wish to use the Schleswig Holstein Kleingruppenkarte, cost 32.70 euro -unlimited travel for up to 5 persons after 9am to 3am the following day, it is valid on the following trains.

RB departs Kiel 9:04 arrives Lübeck 10:32 Stops at every station

RE departs Kiel 9:44 arrives Lübeck 10:52 Stops only at larger stations

and so on at hourly intervals throughout the day.

to return to Kiel

RE departs Lübeck 12:06 arrives Kiel 13:15

RB departs Lübeck 12:28 arrives Kiel 13:55

and so on until 21:06

On the 8:04 the standard fare applies, ie 17 euro pp. one way.

All the above information was issued in August 2012 and is current until August 2013

Many automated machines (at train stations, gas stations, tollbooths) in Europe will only accept the chip and PIN type cards. This is especially frustrating for visitors with US cards as some work and some do not. Rather than miss your train while trying to make your card work it is much easier to use cash. The machines accept notes and give change.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you very much. Does the ticket allow us to stop and get off the train in other towns and then get back on after visiting?

Hi,

The card is for unlimited travel within Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg on RB and RE trains and regional buses. It is also valid for the public transport system in Hamburg but not on the buses within Kiel itself. You can get on and off as many times as you wish, where ever and whenever you like within the time frame. Both the RB and RE have stops in Plön and Eutin.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Yes we were able to purchase the 9.04 ticket (earliest available) for 4 adults in Kiel costing about €30 return last year at a machine using our Mastercard. They had an employee standing by to help rather hapless tourists like us and ensure we got the ticket we wanted. All very easy and efficient. We didn't break our journey but travelled through some beautiful countryside and spa towns at the side of extensive lakes. Well worth doing! Others from our cruise were getting tickets to go to Hamburg too.

Hi Anni,

Please correct me if I am wrong, we will be in Kiel on Saturday Aug. 10 from 10am-6pm, we are a family of 4 and I want to buy the day ticket to Lubeck from this website: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regional/schleswig-holstein-ticket.shtml for Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket. The flexible 1-person, 2-person, 3-person, 4-person ticket, the cost for 4 of us is 36 EUR, is this the right ticket?

Thanks for your help.

As specified above, we are a family of 4, 2 adults, DS age 17 and DD age 15 and I just notice the fine print for this type of ticket, can someone please tell me how many person do I buy, for 3 or for 4? For 3, its 33EUR and for 4 it is 36EUR because my DD is age 15, would she consider the child free? Thanks.

Discount for children:One person may bring any number of their own children or grandchildren under 15 with them free of charge. One additional passenger may also come along for only 3 euros. Children up to and including 5 years of age may travel free of charge and without a ticket. For this reason, they are not included when determining the number of persons in a group.

As specified above, we are a family of 4, 2 adults, DS age 17 and DD age 15 and I just notice the fine print for this type of ticket, can someone please tell me how many person do I buy, for 3 or for 4? For 3, its 33EUR and for 4 it is 36EUR because my DD is age 15, would she consider the child free? Thanks.

Discount for children:One person may bring any number of their own children or grandchildren under 15 with them free of charge. One additional passenger may also come along for only 3 euros. Children up to and including 5 years of age may travel free of charge and without a ticket. For this reason, they are not included when determining the number of persons in a group.

Hi,

As stated in the fine print, the free travel is for children under 15 .

This is the correct ticket if you want to purchase on-line but you could buy the Schleswig-Holstein Kleingruppen Karte, which has exactly the same conditions, from a ticket machine on the station for 32.70 euros.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi,

As stated in the fine print, the free travel is for children under 15 .

This is the correct ticket if you want to purchase on-line but you could buy the Schleswig-Holstein Kleingruppen Karte, which has exactly the same conditions, from a ticket machine on the station for 32.70 euros.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you Anni. So can I buy this ticket 32.70 euros on-line or I have to buy from the ticket machine? I can't find the option on the website to buy this Schleswig-Holstein Kleingruppen Karte ticket.

Thank you Anni. So can I buy this ticket 32.70 euros on-line or I have to buy from the ticket machine? I can't find the option on the website to buy this Schleswig-Holstein Kleingruppen Karte ticket.

The Schleswig-Holstein Kleingruppen Karte can only be bought at a ticket machine or ticket office in Schleswig-Holstein (the Lander or county in which Kiel is situated)

You will not find it on the DB site as it is a ticket issued by the regional transport authority, LVS Schleswig-Holstein, valid on the all trains and buses within Schleswig-Holstein and the public transport in Hamburg .

The DB ticket (36E) is valid for travel on the trains only within Schleswig Holstein, Hamburg and the neighbouring state of Mecklenburg Vorpommern .

Hope this makes it clear.

Anni

If we catch the 8:04 or 8:44 train to Lubeck, we buy 4 individual tickets to one of the stops on the way to Lubeck, and the family/group pass? Do we buy both at the same time in Kiel or do we need to buy the group pass after we make our stop on the way to Lubeck? What is the price going to be for that initial ticket? We want to leave Kiel before the 9:04 train to make the most of our day. Thank you, just trying to be clear.

If we catch the 8:04 or 8:44 train to Lubeck, we buy 4 individual tickets to one of the stops on the way to Lubeck, and the family/group pass? Do we buy both at the same time in Kiel or do we need to buy the group pass after we make our stop on the way to Lubeck? What is the price going to be for that initial ticket? We want to leave Kiel before the 9:04 train to make the most of our day. Thank you, just trying to be clear.

Hi,

Monday to Friday you need single tickets to cover the time between departing Kiel and 9:00 as well as a day ticket. Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays the day ticket covers the whole journey.

Depart Kiel 8:04 you need single tickets to Pönitz (dep. 9:08) @ 11 euro pp. - ie. 44 euro + a 4 person day ticket

Depart Kiel 8:44 you need single tickets to Preetz (dep. 9:00) @ 4.30 euro pp. - ie. 17.20 euro + a 4 person day ticket.

All the tickets can be bought at the same time before departure in Kiel and shown together to the inspector on the train. There is no need to leave the train before Lübeck.

Hope this makes it clear.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Archived