Kinda OT -- Suggestions for a "nice" pre-prom dinner place?

SSB, Galveston Cruiser, one of you ultra-knowledgable Galveston types, I'm hoping you have some suggestions for my son! He and his girlfriend have prom on the 18th down at Moody Gardens, and he was asking me for a nice place for them to have dinner. Being ever-budget-conscious to feed our cruise habit, the only places we ever eat are places like The Spot, Medicinal Purposes, etc... I save the fine dining for when I'm on a cruise, lol. :p

So he's looking for someplace semi-nice, but also not crazy expensive... and they do both like Italian food. I suggested maybe Mario's or Di Bella's, but I haven't been to Mario's in forever and I think Di Bella's is maybe more on the too-casual side. They like plain old American food as well, but I can't think of any nicer suggestions on that front.

Do any of you awesome people have any thoughts?? :)

Thanks!!

-gina-

Gina:

Rudy & Paco's at 21st & Post Office - Doesn't get any better than this!!!

The Steakhouse at the San Luis and Shearn's at Moody Gardens Hotel.

These three are very pricey, but very good.

Italian - Luigi's on the Strand at 23rd - excellent - Perhaps Luigi will sing that night!

Also check out restaurants at galveston.com - things to do - restaurants.

I believe they all have menus included.

Reserve asap as these all will fill up fast due to the proms.

Good luck and congratulations to your son.

Our grandson graduated this year!

Mary & Lee (SSB)

SSB, Galveston Cruiser, one of you ultra-knowledgable Galveston types, I'm hoping you have some suggestions for my son! He and his girlfriend have prom on the 18th down at Moody Gardens, and he was asking me for a nice place for them to have dinner. Being ever-budget-conscious to feed our cruise habit, the only places we ever eat are places like The Spot, Medicinal Purposes, etc... I save the fine dining for when I'm on a cruise, lol. :p

So he's looking for someplace semi-nice, but also not crazy expensive... and they do both like Italian food. I suggested maybe Mario's or Di Bella's, but I haven't been to Mario's in forever and I think Di Bella's is maybe more on the too-casual side. They like plain old American food as well, but I can't think of any nicer suggestions on that front.

Do any of you awesome people have any thoughts?? :)

Thanks!!

-gina-

Thanks for compliment!!

Our grandson did prom last weekend!!!

One thought!

Olympia at pier 21:

Is nice.

Is on port and water.

Has wonderful outside deck,

and can sit out there at tables regular tables,

with a happy hour food menu 4-7 also..... they have to ask for the HH menu!

It has about 10 or more $5 items

and a daily different $3 item,

if they are comfortable doing that and what they are looking for!

Prom nite is all relative to the expectations!

We love the place!!!

It is where the ships come and go as you know,

and they could dream and fantisize about cruising the world,

and their future plans and lives!. :D

Like Mary said

Rudy & Paco's at 21st & Post Office is one of our favorites, white table cloth, great service,

and can share a meal for economy! We share because its a lot of food!

Ifthey are comfortable doing that and what they are looking for!

RESERVATION recomended highly!!!!

I knew you guys would have some great ideas!! I can't wait to tell my son later. (He's just a Junior, but his girlfriend is a Senior so he's excited he gets to go to prom. :))

I had thought about the Steakhouse at the San Luis and also Shearn's, but looking at their menus I think it would just be way too pricey... And Rudy & Paco's sounds perfect, except I think they would both starve to death there, lol. At least my son would. :rolleyes: I do love the view from Olympia and think that would be a nice romantic place with the right table...

But I went and looked up Luigi's and honestly, it sounds perfect! Of course, it doesn't matter what I think... But knowing them, I think it sounds like exactly what they were looking for. I'm going to share all these suggestions with my son and have him look at the menus and decide what works best for them.

Thanks again, both of you!!

-gina-

Luigi's is really great on the inside, not to big, cozy, not cavernous.

No one could starve at Rudy & Paco's, the portions are huge. DH and I learned from the first visit to always share an entree:) Deserts are so huge, could be shared 4 ways.

Olympia would be nice outside on the deck if weather is good.

I vote for Luigi's for them. Like I really have any say so:D

I know they will have a wonderful evening.

No one could starve at Rudy & Paco's, the portions are huge. DH and I learned from the first visit to always share an entree:) Deserts are so huge, could be shared 4 ways.

Olympia would be nice outside on the deck if weather is good.

I vote for Luigi's for them. Like I really have any say so:D

I know they will have a wonderful evening.

Oh, it's not the portion size, it's the menu... neither of them would eat any of that. I wouldn't either, so I can't judge, lol. :rolleyes: He looked at the menu for Luigi's last night and decided the same thing about that place... So now after all that, I think they decided on Mario's! Hopefully they'll be happy with that. As y'all said, the night is what they make of it.

And like I said, I can't really judge them for not liking the other menus -- I usually order off the kids' menu myself on cruises because the regular food is just so ick to me, LOL. I know, I'm weird. :p

Thanks again for y'alls suggestions! I'll let you know how their dinner goes! :)

-gina-

Archived