Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

If you don't like the color of the carpet, or the texture of the toilet paper, I think that would be covered under Carnival's guarantee, on cruises where it is applicable.

CARNIVAL'S VACATION GUARANTEESM We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

That's a nice guarnatee. I wonder how many cruisers actually know about it? They all should, of course, but it would be interesting to know. Also what percentage (or fraction on a percentage) of cruisers actually use it?

Now the $64,000 question. Do you have to stand in line at customer service for 2 hours in order to 'notify' Carnival? Hmmm? I wonder if this is the reason they don't expand the customer service staff on a bad cruise? Just like turning off the lights and not answering the phone or front door when the collection agents are after you.;)

I have no idea. There are lots of options and bells and whistles - trip cancellation, trip interruption, ...

If you can identify exactly what it is you want, I would think someone would underwrite it. If not, why not?

Maybe trip insurance underwriters can write special insurance just for Carnival Cruise Line, would it be too costly?

That's a nice guarnatee. I wonder how many cruisers actually know about it? They all should, of course, but it would be interesting to know. Also what percentage (or fraction on a percentage) of cruisers actually use it?

Now the $64,000 question. Do you have to stand in line at customer service for 2 hours in order to 'notify' Carnival? Hmmm? I wonder if this is the reason they don't expand the customer service staff on a bad cruise? Just like turning off the lights and not answering the phone or front door when the collection agents are after you.;)

How does one expand staff during a bad cruise?

So a new post in the May 5th Roll Call by a cruiser on board now sounds pretty bad. How could Carnival drop the ball that bad? This poor guy sounds like he has had anything BUT a vacation.

And put them where? I guess they could tow a barge.

Don,

They seem to have room for the technicians who are fixing the rooms and the waterslide area. (wink,wink)

BTW, my $64,000 question was a joke. Sorry, I should have put more :):D.

I've said this before; there must be a positive correlation between days at sea and a lack of a sense of humour.:):D

(That's humor for my American friends):):D

Don,

They seem to have room for the technicians who are fixing the rooms and the waterslide area. (wink,wink)

BTW, my $64,000 question was a joke. Sorry, I should have put more :D.

I've said this before; there must be a positive correlation between days at sea and a lack of a sense of humour.:D

(That's humor for my American friends):D

Maybe the techs are staying in the rooms they fix !!:D

If you don't like the color of the carpet, or the texture of the toilet paper, I think that would be covered under Carnival's guarantee, on cruises where it is applicable.

CARNIVAL'S VACATION GUARANTEESM We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

I wonder if anyone has used this clause to get a TA crossing for free in the past.

Perhaps the cruisers that disembarked after their first port on this cruise took Carnival up on their offer.

Maybe that's what the 2 hr waits in line were for. If too many people asked for this Carnival would want to nip that in the bud that is for sure. Bad press, big refunds and fewer customers spending money on board would be the last thing that they would want or need.

It will be interesting to hear what the Sunshine cruisers say about those first couple of days on the Inaugral sailing.

I wonder if anyone has used this clause to get a TA crossing for free in the past.

Perhaps the cruisers that disembarked after their first port on this cruise took Carnival up on their offer.

Maybe that's what the 2 hr waits in line were for. If too many people asked for this Carnival would want to nip that in the bud that is for sure. Bad press, big refunds and fewer customers spending money on board would be the last thing that they would want or need.

It will be interesting to hear what the Sunshine cruisers say about those first couple of days on the Inaugral sailing.

No. If it applied to specialty cruises, the cruise would be over and your pro-rated refund would be 0.

Of course it is easier to deny personal accountability and responsibility for reading the cruise contract, vacation guarantees, etc, and just blame to one with deep pockets. These people probably do deserve to stand in line for 2 hours to have the contract read to them.

As far as I know they always have a port of call BEFORE crossing the Atlantic. Guarantee says before the first port of call.

Will be very interesting to hear first hand accounts of passengers on the first cruise.

Guess this will be the last time they refurbish an old ship at this shipyard.

After what dry dock Dave said, lets hope they never use this shipyard again.

Of course it is easier to deny personal accountability and responsibility for reading the cruise contract, vacation guarantees, etc, and just blame to one with deep pockets. These people probably do deserve to stand in line for 2 hours to have the contract read to them.

Hmmmm doesn't the service provider (i.e. Carnival) have accountability and responsibility for providing the service contracted for? But, of course, there is that wonderful cruise contract designed to allow the service provider to avoid accountability and responsibility. :rolleyes:

Maybe the travelling public should take your advice about personal accountability and responsibility, Sarge, and just avoid the cruise industry altogether.

:D Hey. I've been looking to buy a new boat - maybe the Sunshine will be on the market once all those people lacking personal accountability and responsibility leave and never come back. :p

No. If it applied to specialty cruises, the cruise would be over and your pro-rated refund would be 0.

So the TA cruises don't leave from say Miami or New York with a first stop in Portugal or Spain with another couple of ports after that, and all are simply crossings from point A -embarkation port to point B - debarkation port?

The length of time at the service counter and the length of lines are obvious exaggerations.

We know nothing for sure and that includes if any of the reports are exaggerations.

One can only HOPE they are.

Couldn't a first "non- US port" be in Spain?

I think the poster is pointing out that the cruises are designed so that doesn't happen. For example, you might stop in Bermuda before doing the crossing. I would be, due to their guarantee, they do this specifically so that the guarantee cannot be invoked after the crossing. (Since they exclude Europe, South America, Hawaii, I don't know why they don't just exclude transatlantic though.)

It's pro-rated though, so I'm not sure why it would even matter. I think it is pro-rated to the day you leave the ship, not the day you complain. So it wouldn't matter if someone had a 'free' ride across the atlantic, because it is really only the last few days that would be reimbursed.

I think the poster is pointing out that the cruises are designed so that doesn't happen. For example, you might stop in Bermuda before doing the crossing. I would be, due to their guarantee, they do this specifically so that the guarantee cannot be invoked after the crossing. (Since they exclude Europe, South America, Hawaii, I don't know why they don't just exclude transatlantic though.)

It's pro-rated though, so I'm not sure why it would even matter. I think it is pro-rated to the day you leave the ship, not the day you complain. So it wouldn't matter if someone had a 'free' ride across the atlantic, because it is really only the last few days that would be reimbursed.

Right, being pro-rated the TA would not be a good example of this being misused.

However, on a cruise such as the Inaugral sailing on the Sunshine with possible problems that are more than one can take this clause could and just may have come in very handy.

I guess that it would be a good way to get to Bermuda or your first port of call if you didn't want to fly, and also for a reasonable price.

Interesting clause.

Since they are working 24 hours a day they don't need rooms. :D

Even if they did, they could sleep in shifts, so only 1/2 or 1/3 the number of beds needs.

Poor room steward having to change the sheets 2-3 times a day. I mean would you want to sleep in the same bed immediately after one of your co-workers slept (or god only knows what) in it?:eek:

Archived