New Cagney's (nee Lazy J) On POA April 2013

kcfoxy

Cagney's has long been a favorite specialty restaurant aboard NCL ships, so when POA came out of dry dock, we were determined to try the repurposed Lazy J, as well as photographing any new/same décor, report on menu changes and pricing, (if any).

IMG_0175_zps6d219494.jpgNew Entrance Signage, via Napa Wine Bar

Some remnants of Lazy J's Western theme remain, chairs, corbels, chandeliers & sconces

IMG_0182_zps24ec7572.jpg

More of the classic Cagney's steakhouse motif...wallpaper, curtains, waitstaff garb, Cagney's photos replace the SW wall art, darker hued wood stain added to refresh the décor:

IMG_0183_zps72939b93.jpg

We took advantage of the posted embarkation night special, $20 vs the POA's posted regular price of $25, (not $30 so far).

In honor of the NCL CC members not pleased by the New & "Improved" Cagney's menu on most of the rest of the fleet, I chose the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes with Avocado and Lobster Remoulade, as one of my (seafood) starters...

IMG_0181_zps8dab3bd5.jpg

Himself selected the 12 ounce Rib Eye steak with Gratin Potatoes and Creamed Spinach as sides. His steak came rare, as ordered:

IMG_0185_zpsb1247a2b.jpg

Mourning the delay of Moderno's scheduled opening following dry dock, I opted for the Double Cut Lamb Chops with Breaded Onion Rings and Steamed Asparagus, (double order). Thrilled with medium rare, meaty chops:

IMG_0186_zps2f9cc014.jpg

And in fond memory of the regular/old NCL Cagney's menu, we decided to split an order of Baked Apple Crisp with ice cream. Sorry, no photo as two spoons, diving after quick draw artist's lightning fast attack, devoured each and every tart-sweet and creamy-crunchy morsel.

A couple minor quibbles:

Colossal prawns have now gone down from 4 to 3, (3 typically served on the luncheon menu)

On first glance, it looked like a good amount of asparagus...born and raised in the Asparagus Capitol of the U.S., I was wise to the usual 3 lonely spears considered a steakhouse side 'serving' so made mine a double order, (6, right?)

Looking more closely, you will see how cleverly each spear has been halved! A very pretty presentation but I can only hope the 3 total spears was an order miscue, and this is still 1 portion.

The meal was delicious, obviously a good value for the embarkation special, but Richard Ramsfan later claimed the 14 oz Rib Eye, from La Cuchina, was a tad tastier, and a bit easier going down with a nightly cover of $15, plus another couple ounces of carnivore delight.

Forgot to add, Breakfast and Lunch menus essentially unchanged except for the substitution of Swordfish for the awesome Grilled Ahi fillet sandwich :(

We were told, in our 2nd, 'wrap-up' CC meeting that Ahi had simply gotten too expensive and rather elusive to have as a standard go-to menu item...

Archived