Sailing from San Juan

emmac25

Anyone with recent experience with sailing out of San Juan? I'm actually traveling on RCL but they're not down there yet. Little nervous with flying in same day.

Any advice appreciated along with alcohol / duty free tips. Looking to purchase down there versus packing in checked luggage from Ohio...

Our first cruise was out of San Juan years ago. We flew in the night before and stayed right across the street from the pier. There were several on our roll call that flew in same day but then we didn't set sail until 11 pm.

There is a liquor store (duty free) inside the terminal. There is also one right across the street from the pier.

Read my Victory review below for further details, but there is a CVS walking distance from the pier if you don't want to buy stuff in the duty free shop in the terminal. We also flew in the same day, but our ship didn't leave until 10pm. We took a 8am direct flight from Hartford and were at the pier by noon I believe.

Anyone with recent experience with sailing out of San Juan? I'm actually traveling on RCL but they're not down there yet. Little nervous with flying in same day.

Any advice appreciated along with alcohol / duty free tips. Looking to purchase down there versus packing in checked luggage from Ohio...

I believe that RCI embarks from the PanAm facility, which is not across the street from CVS in Od San Juan. (someone please correct me if not so)

RCI and Carnival use different piers for embarkation in San Juan, so people with experience sailing out of San Juan on Carnival may not be able to help you out. At Carnival's pier, there is a duty free liquor store right before you go through security, but I don't know what they have where RCI embarks at. You should have no problem finding places to buy liquor in San Juan before you get to the pier, though. Even places like CVS and Walgreen's will likely have a good selection.

I believe that RCI embarks from the PanAm facility, which is not across the street from CVS in Od San Juan. (someone please correct me if not so)

I thought I remembered seeing a RCI ship in OSJ, but its possible they were just there as a port stop for the day. I totally forgot that there's two piers in San Juan. Sorry!!

Just cruised on Royal Caribbean in Feb from SJ. The So. Caribbean is a great cruise even though travel can be somewhat burdensome.

We always get to the port city a few days early, it extends the vacation and provides safety in case of flight issues. I would never fly into SJ the same day but many do and seldom have problems.

Have a great cruise

Archived