EWR Mobility Qestions

Pompein

Need help with logistics. flying into EWR with my 84 year old mother. She needs a wheelchair to navigate airports, bringing her walker for ship.

We are taking the Hilton provided shuttle to the Hampton Inn Staten Island.

Understand we pickup luggage then meet shuttle at P4.

Can my mother stay in the airport wheelchair on the train from terminal A to P4? Can we use a cart for all the luggage?

Would it be easier to just get a cab at terminal A or are all the cabs at P4 also? Thanks!

Need help with logistics. flying into EWR with my 84 year old mother. She needs a wheelchair to navigate airports, bringing her walker for ship.

We are taking the Hilton provided shuttle to the Hampton Inn Staten Island.

Understand we pickup luggage then meet shuttle at P4.

Can my mother stay in the airport wheelchair on the train from terminal A to P4? Can we use a cart for all the luggage?

Would it be easier to just get a cab at terminal A or are all the cabs at P4 also? Thanks!

The best would be is ask the airline for assistance . They can help your mother to get off the plane , pick-up her bags and assist her getting to the shuttle.

I'd start making some phone calls. I'd start with the hotel to see if they can pick you up at the terminal.

I used to fly from Newark to San Juan with my mother to cruise. One time we did a park/sleep at what is now the Doubletree. The Doubletree shuttle was able to drop us off at the terminal, but coming back we were faced with getting to P4 to catch the hotel shuttle. There was no way I could get all our luggage and my mother from baggage claim on the lowest level to the monorail on the uppermost level to ride to P4. I just got us out to the cab area and we took a cab to the Doubletree. However, you can't do that easiy to go to Staten Island.

Unfortunately, when you travel with someone who is mobility impaired, you may have to spend money to make the trip easier. Are you staying on Staten Island to save money? Unless funds are very tight, I might rethink that decision. If you give us exact dates, we can offer suggestions. You do know that there is no restaurant in the Hampton Inn, just breakfast. If you need dinner, you are going to have to do take out or walk next door to the Hilton.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Staten Island with Hilton Points and to take advantage of the free shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to port.

There are 4 of us, plus my mom, so we have help. Thought it might be easier just to take a cab to the hotel from the airport if cabs are available at Terminal A.

Also rethinking just staying at another Hilton property closer to airport, then taking cab/car service to port.

Any suggestions?

There's a regular Hilton at Newark Airport and the Doubletree is a Hilton. There is also a Hampton Inn. Just be sure whatever hotel you select has all the food service you will require since you can't run around with Mom. RCL books a lot of cruisers into the Doubletree.

For no frills port transportation for 5 people contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973. For that size group it should be $10/pp + tip.

I'd still talk to the Staten Island hotel to see what could be arranged for a "handicapped" pickup at the airport.

Archived