How it was and how it is.

That was cool to read about things prior to my time (I'm 32, but only started cruising 2ish years ago).

My first cruise was on Allure, so quite a different experience than you had :)

We did just go on Majesty, so was fun to see the differences between 1990 state of the art vs. today.

Thanks for the post though, it's great to hear people tell stories about their past like this!

Thanks for all the wonderful memories that have been shared. Our first cruise was on the Enchantment of the Seas in July 1999. The Enchantment was new that year and this was before she was stretched. I remember that RCI's marketing saying was "like no vacation on earth" and our cruise was, indeed!

We were looking for something special to do for our 25th anniversary and decided on a cruise. I remember the whole week seeming just magical and a cruise is still my favorite vacation. I hooked my children on cruises, too! We are next on the Independence of the Seas in November.

I think the formal nights were more special then, and I kind of miss this. I know I was not asked to take my excursion towels back to the pool deck in 1999. We left them in the room and cabin steward picked them up and counted them returned. I miss this, too.

I have never been on ship that I did not like. My favorite vacation, for sure!

What a wonderful stroll down memory lane! While there are many wonderful aspects to cruising today, I will say that my first cruise was much more elegant. Don't get me wrong, I L O V E cruising, but there was a sort of pageantry to my first cruise.

We had flaming baked alaska on the waiters heads, chocolate on the pillow with turn down service, I believe the soft drinks were (gasp!) free on that cruise.

Still, I adore cruising and can't wait for the next one. Mary

Archived