One Morning (3-4 hours) in Vancouver

GoTX

Hi! We are arriving at our hotel Vancouver around 11:30pm the night before our cruise departs for Alaska (coming in on the evening Amtrak Cascades from Seattle). The cruise boards between 12-3pm, so we are looking for the best thing to do in Vancouver in the morning. We have two teenagers (13 girl/15 boy), so with a midnight bedtime, I don't think we can start too early (hard enough to get them up with an earlier bedtime!!). :rolleyes: I'm thinking breakfast around 9am, then 3-4 hours to do something before we head to the cruise terminal.

From the research I've done so far, it looks like Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge are the top contenders. Don't know if 3-4 hours is enough to get to Grouse Mtn, go up the gondola, sightsee and return to the hotel to grab our bags, though. Any advice (or other suggestions as to what we could do), and also, any suggestions for a good but quick breakfast place before we head out on whatever adventure we choose? We will be staying at the Marriott in downtown Vancouver.

Thanks!!

Andrea

Hi! We are arriving at our hotel Vancouver around 11:30pm the night before our cruise departs for Alaska (coming in on the evening Amtrak Cascades from Seattle). The cruise boards between 12-3pm, so we are looking for the best thing to do in Vancouver in the morning. We have two teenagers (13 girl/15 boy), so with a midnight bedtime, I don't think we can start too early (hard enough to get them up with an earlier bedtime!!). :rolleyes: I'm thinking breakfast around 9am, then 3-4 hours to do something before we head to the cruise terminal.

From the research I've done so far, it looks like Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge are the top contenders. Don't know if 3-4 hours is enough to get to Grouse Mtn, go up the gondola, sightsee and return to the hotel to grab our bags, though. Any advice (or other suggestions as to what we could do), and also, any suggestions for a good but quick breakfast place before we head out on whatever adventure we choose? We will be staying at the Marriott in downtown Vancouver.

Thanks!!

Andrea

I have done a pre-cruise tour with land/sea tours and it was wonderful. they picked me up at my hotel with my bags and we went to Stanley park, the market, suspension bridge and grouse mt and then took me to the ship. but they picked me up at 9:30 in the morning. you wont have enough time to do much if you get up late in the morning except I would think Stanley park. there are a lot of totom poles there and paths to walk on. sorry, I cant help you with a breakfast place.

Stanley Park is a great option .. and Gastown is right at the pier and is quite nice to shop in . From Canada place over to Stanley park is a nice area to walk in.Right on the water so lots to see . I think Grouse is a little much for that amount of time.

The Capilano Suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain are just a little to much to take on with the time you have in the morning. Stanley Park would be a good choice as would be Gastown and a ride up the Vancouver Lookout. You may care to consider a trip to Granville Island or perhaps a visit to the Telus Science World.

http://www.scienceworld.ca/

Thanks!!

Andrea

In that short period of time I would consider Stanley Park as probably the top contender. Maybe rent bikes for a couple of hours to do so.

We were faced with similar options last May. We stayed at the Pan Pacific, and could only spend a few hours the morning prior to our cruise seeing Vancouver. We were able to have a great breakfast at Bellagio Cafe which was right at the convention center. They offered a nice menu and a wonderful patio/view.

We decided to walk the sea wall to Stanley Park. It was a beautiful day & the walk was really enjoyable. Nice sights along the way, lots of joggers/bikers on the path. We took a horse drawn carriage ride, and due to our limited time schedule, it was well worth it. We had a narrated tour, and the sites we stopped along were great. It is beautiful and the pride of this park is felt even as a visitor.

We had our youngest son who was 9, our oldest son who was 17, myself, husband and aunt who was 64 at the time. They all enjoyed the walk & the carriage ride. It allowed us to see the park, albeit somewhat rushed...

Have an amazing time!! :D

I'd say to have at least two options - regardless of when you're here, the weather sometimes makes it unpleasant to be outdoors for a lengthy period... the Aquarium, since it's inside Stanley Park and has lots of indoor exhibits, makes a great alternative to spending the whole morning outside wandering the park itself.

As to a quick decent brekky near your hotel - given your time constraints I'd be tempted to stick to Canada's fave, Tim Hortons. They offer a surprisingly wide range of grab & go breakfast sandwiches, including several healthier options.

I definitely agree with the above posts recommending Stanley Park. We similarly had a morning before our cruise, and we walked along the sea wall and saw the totems in the park. Made for a really nice morning, and it was neat that when we cruised out we could see some of the area we had walked that morning. I remember the aquarium being great when I went to Vancouver as a kid. Think it would be another great option depending on what you and your kids prefer and the weather that day.

Archived