Haven't informed NCL of dietary restrictions

I've posted this question in the "ask a question" section but wanted to put it in the Epic forum. Please help!

We are sailing on NCL Epic on Sunday. My mom is gluten intolerant but apparently the cruise line weren't informed. I booked through a travel agent and have written confirmation from them that they have informed the cruise line of her intolerance. However when I called the cruise line today, they claimed they weren't informed. They said it's now too late.

I had previously asked the travel agent several times about this and they assured me it would be fine. Anyway, I have yet to speak to the travel agent in person - I've just spoken to her colleague and left a voice mail. It may be just a mix up but in the event they have not informed the cruise line, my question is - has anyone had any experience with this? How has it worked out?

Thank you!

I have a family member that has dietary restrictions and we had always met with an individual from restaurant management on the first day of the cruise. You would pre-order the meal each night if eating in one of the main dining rooms so it can be prepared separately. If you are eating within the buffet you should tell a manager and they have a chef walk you through the buffet and tell you what can and cannot be eaten with the specific diet restrictions. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I plan to do that. I think informing then ahead of time is to ensure they have enough of that type of food. So, hopefully they over-stock and it won't be an issue. It'll probably be fine but I'm just annoyed that it's even an issue at this stage as I did make sure I said it several times to the travel agent. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you. I plan to do that. I think informing then ahead of time is to ensure they have enough of that type of food. So, hopefully they over-stock and it won't be an issue. It'll probably be fine but I'm just annoyed that it's even an issue at this stage as I did make sure I said it several times to the travel agent. Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't give it a any further worry. Many people have reported on here that the Epic staff is wonderful about special diets and taking care of their guests.

Have a great time. Epic is a great ship and a lot of fun. :D

If you are eating within the buffet you should tell a manager and they have a chef walk you through the buffet and tell you what can and cannot be eaten with the specific diet restrictions. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure if Epic does this, but on the POA in the buffet they had "Gluten Free" under a bunch of the items which should make things easier as well.

I've posted this question in the "ask a question" section but wanted to put it in the Epic forum. Please help!

We are sailing on NCL Epic on Sunday. My mom is gluten intolerant but apparently the cruise line weren't informed. I booked through a travel agent and have written confirmation from them that they have informed the cruise line of her intolerance. However when I called the cruise line today, they claimed they weren't informed. They said it's now too late.

I had previously asked the travel agent several times about this and they assured me it would be fine. Anyway, I have yet to speak to the travel agent in person - I've just spoken to her colleague and left a voice mail. It may be just a mix up but in the event they have not informed the cruise line, my question is - has anyone had any experience with this? How has it worked out?

Thank you!

Sometimes confusion can occur if you do not contact the correct department. Who did you speak with at NCL? For this issue, you would need to speak with someone at the Access Desk.

FFR...When a TA makes an important call on your behalf, you should be given both the name of the person they spoke with along with a written confirmation of the conversation from the Cruise Line.

I've never booked with a TA before. I'm used to making all those phone calls myself so I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't check earlier. It's not like me.

You may be right about not speaking to the right person. I just spoke to someone at general guest services. I've just emailed special assistance and hopefully will get to speak to the TA tomorrow.

Thank you all for replying. These forums are great!

I hope someone can give me some insight. Last December on the Jewel, we had trouble getting white rice at dinner every night for DS in the main dining room. Do I need to speak to special request department or the Maitre'D before our next cruise?

I hope someone can give me some insight. Last December on the Jewel, we had trouble getting white rice at dinner every night for DS in the main dining room. Do I need to speak to special request department or the Maitre'D before our next cruise?

I'd say the Maitre'D at the beginning of the cruise, before muster. Should be available in the MDR open on embarkation for lunch, Tsar in the case of the Jewel.

White rice is a staple item for both Chin Chin/Teppanyaki/Sushi and Moderno, and almost sure it must be available at Garden Buffet since so many gluten free or gluten sensitive pax use it for one of their go-to items.

BTW: We've been told by various HDs on 4 different NCL ships, that basic food items like this may always be requested at the time of ordering also. Going through the Maitre'D initially, should help this be less troublesome overall.

My recommendation is to call the access desk before boarding and talk to the Maitre'D immediately after boarding.

Thank you kcfoxy and devcruise for the tip. I didn't think to do this on the last cruise and got frustrated by the third night to be told by the waitstaff that they don't know if they can get it for us. We got it eventually after a long wait.

Thank you to the people who advices contacting special assistance/access desk. They replied within 4 hours and reassured me that they would sort it out and would email the revelant people to make sure it was ok. I wouldn't have thought of contacting them so thanks for your great advice!

Archived