Bad cabin selection on the Magic

cobo

Next time I will do my homework better when picking my balcony cabin. On my last cruise on the Conquest I ended up with a balcony under the buffet. Every morning around 3-3:30 there was scraping noise above like tables being dragged (probably cleaning). Being a light sleeper this woke me. So just got off the Magic 5-5 thru 5-12. When I selected this room I decided to go lower to avoid noise above so I selected 6422, port side.

Things to know about the magic I did not know. On previous cruise ships you can look off your balcony and see down to the water. Magic on deck 5 is extended out past the balconies around the ship. Good for more seating. Port side is the smoking side. Also directly below my cabin was the Vibes Club and the Red Frog. Lots of boom, boom, boom, boom until about 1AM each morning. Also many times standing on the balcony and the fresh air replaced by the smoking sections down below. Otherwise had a great cruise. Still enjoyed the Magic. Just got to do my homework better.

Just off the same cruise, and we had to deal with the galley in our cove. We needed three cabins together last minute, so we took what we could get, but I will continue to do my research so I can make sure to avoid that area when I do have a choice!

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise despite those pesky problems. Definitely check the areas above and below you on the deck plans to see if you'll be in a noisy area. When we sailed the Destiny the TA (I was not involved with booking my cruises at that time) put us in an inside cabin directly above the salsa club and except for breakfast and lunch time there was always loud music blasting constantly for hours. Luckily we were all young people (late teens and early 20s) who loved to party and stayed out every night til about 3, 4, 5 in the morning. Plus I could sleep through a fire alarm so the music never bothered me.

Now though, I'm a mom and I love my peace and quiet when my baby is sleeping/napping. Being over a club or on the smoking side would really bother me. We have an aft wrap this go round and I'm looking forward to some peace and lots of space for my daughter to play and enjoy herself. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I wish there was someway for them to fix the noise issues for the cabins above and below those areas (clubs, galley, lido).

what cabin number was near the galley- Is this the same layout as the dream- thanks

We were in 2427. From what I could tell, any deck 2 cabin between the midship and aft elevators is at risk for galley noise.

Meredith

We were in 2427. From what I could tell, any deck 2 cabin between the midship and aft elevators is at risk for galley noise.

Meredith

yep, I learned that the hard way bookin on Deck 2... was up all night long with what sounded like pot/pans hitting the floor every two minutes... luckily on day two they had another cabin free that they switched us too otherwise I would have been wrecked by the end of the week with sleep deprivation lol... so we ALWAYS book on Deck 7 and make sure there are cabins also across from us (like 7385, etc) cuz on one cruise I didn't check that and ended up in cabin 7369 right across from where the ice machine, glasses, vacuums's, etc are so we were woken up a few times every night... its best to always research what's around your cabin.

In my opinion, the best balconies on the Magic are deck 7 aft. Loved our aft wrap, but the other aft cabins were also good. There is very little foot traffic on deck 5 (Lanai) at the very aft of the ship, and they can't see up into your balcony like in other areas. No noise issues at all. Wish I was back on the Magic right now!!

yep, I learned that the hard way bookin on Deck 2... was up all night long with what sounded like pot/pans hitting the floor every two minutes... luckily on day two they had another cabin free that they switched us too otherwise I would have been wrecked by the end of the week with sleep deprivation lol... so we ALWAYS book on Deck 7 and make sure there are cabins also across from us (like 7385, etc) cuz on one cruise I didn't check that and ended up in cabin 7369 right across from where the ice machine, glasses, vacuums's, etc are so we were woken up a few times every night... its best to always research what's around your cabin.

We usually do, but when the Triumph got cancelled six weeks out, had to take whatever we could get! :(

I swear I was about to sneak in the galley at 3 am and drop on their head whatever pots and pants they were dropping on the floor! It got much better the last two nights after one in our group went to Guest Services. I usually had sufficient alcohol in me to get enough sleep to avoid walking around like a zombie. :o. The couple of nights I went to bed early, it was quiet at first. Seems it starts around 2:00-2:30 am. Never noticed it once I woke up, probably because I was busy getting ready for the day.

We're between the forward and midship elevators in August, so hoping for better results there! We had that same location, just on the other side, last year and didn't have any problems.

Meredith

Port side is the smoking side.

I wasn't aware of this. Breathing other peoples cigarett smoke was my fear when I decided to do a balcony for the first time.

Now, tell me again - - - is port side the "left" side?

I wasn't aware of this. Breathing other peoples cigarett smoke was my fear when I decided to do a balcony for the first time.

Smoking is allowed on all balconies except Cloud 9 Spa balconies. Even then,, we had an issue with our neighbor smoking.

We prefer Lido or higher forward balconies.

Meredith

With the cove balconies, you need to stay forward. Maybe someone can help me with this question. We sailed the Breeze in Jan. with a cove balcony which I really liked but my DH didn't like the lifeboats above us as he likes to look at the stars at night from our balcony. I'm going to book the Breeze again for Oct. and am going to book a balcony higher up. He also likes to have a view of the water from his balcony and I know the promenade deck blocks this view. If I book either vista or verandah either forward or aft, does anyone know if these cabins have better views of water?

Thanks for any help!!

Pat

Left = even = port. Left side when facing front of ship is port side, which is the side with even numbered cabins.

Meredith

With the cove balconies, you need to stay forward. Maybe someone can help me with this question. We sailed the Breeze in Jan. with a cove balcony which I really liked but my DH didn't like the lifeboats above us as he likes to look at the stars at night from our balcony. I'm going to book the Breeze again for Oct. and am going to book a balcony higher up. He also likes to have a view of the water from his balcony and I know the promenade deck blocks this view. If I book either vista or verandah either forward or aft, does anyone know if these cabins have better views of water?

Thanks for any help!!

Pat

The lanai shrinks in size towards the aft and forward. Not sure where that is in relation to the cabins, but if you catch a cabin in those areas, you should have a decent shot of seeing water. And there's always aft also. Still not as good of a water view as the cove, but deck 5 is narrower back there also, and it's pretty quiet in that area on deck 5.

Meredith

Next time I will do my homework better when picking my balcony cabin. On my last cruise on the Conquest I ended up with a balcony under the buffet. Every morning around 3-3:30 there was scraping noise above like tables being dragged (probably cleaning). Being a light sleeper this woke me. So just got off the Magic 5-5 thru 5-12. When I selected this room I decided to go lower to avoid noise above so I selected 6422, port side.

Things to know about the magic I did not know. On previous cruise ships you can look off your balcony and see down to the water. Magic on deck 5 is extended out past the balconies around the ship. Good for more seating. Port side is the smoking side. Also directly below my cabin was the Vibes Club and the Red Frog. Lots of boom, boom, boom, boom until about 1AM each morning. Also many times standing on the balcony and the fresh air replaced by the smoking sections down below. Otherwise had a great cruise. Still enjoyed the Magic. Just got to do my homework better.

We had a similar problem on Magic, not the noise, but definitely the smoke. We were on Deck 8, directly above the hot tub on the smoking side. The smell was evident during most of the cruise. Next time, starboard side for me! I also noticed the smoke smell in the Ocean Plaza if the doors on both sides opened simultaneously. The infamous wind tunnel effect brought the smoke smell in!

We're booked in 6417 in Oct. Thanks to this thread I just noticed we are right above the Lanai. :( We won't get to look out over the water. Bummed. I was completely overwhelmed during comparing all the prices that I just grabbed it. No wonder there were rooms on that deck. :rolleyes: Oh well. Will make the best of it!

We don't book cabins above or below promenade deck, the galley or Lido restaurant. Best bet is to book a cabin with other cabins above and below or use a drag deck feature that is available on some websites so you can see exactly what is over and under a particular cabin.

We had a horrible cabin just above the showroom and one under the galley and went nuts with the noise. Those were the 2 times we booked guarantees. Learned our lesson and we now carefully choose a cabin. On the Magic our favorite cabins are deck 11 and 12 spa balcony cabins or spa suites. On the Conquest class we like the Empress deck suites.

We're booked in 6417 in Oct. Thanks to this thread I just noticed we are right above the Lanai. :( We won't get to look out over the water. Bummed. I was completely overwhelmed during comparing all the prices that I just grabbed it. No wonder there were rooms on that deck. :rolleyes: Oh well. Will make the best of it!

You still get a good ocean view, just not straight down. It does hide the life boats.

We are sailing magic on The 14th of July...So I think we may be on the smoking side!! Our Cabins are 10262 and 10264.. Should I be worried about all the smoke? I hate the smell of second hand smoke...But of course I usually just avoid it so it doesnt matter to me whether people smoke or not.. But now I am worried I wont be able to enjoy my balcony...:o

We are sailing magic on The 14th of July...So I think we may be on the smoking side!! Our Cabins are 10262 and 10264.. Should I be worried about all the smoke? I hate the smell of second hand smoke...But of course I usually just avoid it so it doesnt matter to me whether people smoke or not.. But now I am worried I wont be able to enjoy my balcony...:o

Smoke from deck 5 won't make it up to 10, you should be just fine. You can smoke on any balcony and you might have neightbors. That could happen in any balcony cabin.

I booked us a spa balcony on our 9 Jun Magic cruise primarily because of the smokers. IF any of our cabin neighbors are puffing away, I won't be afraid to say something to the smokers.

Good luck with that.

I booked us a spa balcony on our 9 Jun Magic cruise primarily because of the smokers. IF any of our cabin neighbors are puffing away, I won't be afraid to say something to the smokers.

Not a real good idea to say anything as smoking in allowed on all balconys except the spa balconys...I, for one, would not stop my smoking if asked to as this is one reason we book nothing but balconys

Archived