Italian Trains for Dummies

yvonneh

Excellent information Eurocruiser, Thanks a million. In most of the posts I've read on here and elsewhere about left-luggage at Termini, your advice seems quite consistent and sound. We'll make sure to leave enough time...as we've both been to Rome before some years back, we don't feel too much pressure to do Rome in 5 hours! I'm thinking a nice lunch somewhere and a bit of easy strolling and that's that...we can come to Rome as a destination another time if we decide we want a more in depth refresher!

I don't know if you have any experience with getting from Messina to Taormina on the cheap, but we're in port on Sunday the 16th June and the quotes I got from the recommended private tour companies in Messina are pretty expensive...perhaps because it's Sunday? Strangely, the ship is not offering an option for a tour of Taormina on that port call. I can't make much sense of the Interbus or Italian rail websites vis a vis schedules and fares for that Sunday, so perhaps the best solution is to try to hook up with interested cruise mates on the day and try to get an on the spot taxi to take us there and back. The cheapest of the private tour companies quoted €260 for 1-3 passengers.

Thanks for all your help and sensible replies!

Charles

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

We are planning to take the public transportation to Taormina when our ship dock at Catania on Nov 11.

Can we walk to the bus stop/train stop from the port?

Where can I find the bus/train schedule ?

Will appreciated any information or advice.

Thanks.

Archived