Italian Trains for Dummies

yvonneh

This will be my first trip to Italy and I am looking at trains into Rome. If I buy tickets on the Frecciabianca train, and I purchase online ahead of time....How do I actually get my "ticket"?

Also, is it smart to buy tickets a couple months in advance?

What is the difference between first and second class on these trains?

Thank you so much!!!

It's a little unclear from your post, but from a previous post, I guess you want to get from Civitavecchia into Rome for the day, right?

If you are just planning on going from Civitavecchia (the port) into Rome, there is no need to pre-purchase tickets.

Your best bet is to get going as early as possible in order to maximize your time in Rome. None of the trains -- from the slowest regional to the fastest express -- vary by more than 15-20 minutes in the amount of time it takes you to reach Rome.

Rather than buying tickets in advance and being limited to a specific train, just get to the station and purchase a BIRG ticket, then get on the next regional train to depart for Rome. They arrive/leave about every half hour during the peak transit times.

A BIRG ticket includes your transportation on the regional train (which is somewhat equivalent to a suburban metro) plus use of any of Rome's subway/bus system for the day. (Not including HOHO buses.)

There have been some very detailed posts here and on other websites that detail exactly how to get to Rome and back using the BIRG ticket and the regional trains. If you do some searching, you should be able to turn up some of these that will hopefully give you all the info you need.

If you are travelling with luggage be aware that older boys will try to "help" you onto the train and then demand payment. We got suckered because we were running to catch the train and saw it pull away. My 4 year old started crying.... We thought this kid was genuinely trying to give us information about how often they run and not to worry that our ticket would work for the next one.

When the next train pulled in, he again came around to make sure we knew this was the right train and then tried to grab our bags to help us onto the train. We got them onto the train ourselves, but then he "helped" us up the stairs and demanded payment. Sigh.

The train did work well, and is easy to do, just make sure you budget lots of time and don't take the last possible one to get to the port.

Happy travels!

Be sure to validate your ticket in the yellow machine before you get on the train. An unvalidated ticket can cost you a fine if checked by an inspector on the train.

The yellow validation machines are being phased out. Termini and Civi both have the new boxes -see attached photo.

image.jpg.2e8f3838edf2999bb71b278230bb9393.jpg

When arriving at the Milan Centro rail station, we had two "porters" offer assistance so we decided to use them to move our 8 bags to the airport express bus. As we were headed through the station an Italian policeman stopped them and ordered them to remove our bags from their carts, apparently they were maverick porters and not licensed. So they left only to work their way around the station and catch up with us as we were exiting the station. The policeman had not let us tip them, so they were going to make sure they got their tip. Not really a problem as they did help us but they demanded a fairly high tip amount.

It's a little unclear from your post, but from a previous post, I guess you want to get from Civitavecchia into Rome for the day, right?

If you are just planning on going from Civitavecchia (the port) into Rome, there is no need to pre-purchase tickets.

Your best bet is to get going as early as possible in order to maximize your time in Rome. None of the trains -- from the slowest regional to the fastest express -- vary by more than 15-20 minutes in the amount of time it takes you to reach Rome.

Rather than buying tickets in advance and being limited to a specific train, just get to the station and purchase a BIRG ticket, then get on the next regional train to depart for Rome. They arrive/leave about every half hour during the peak transit times.

A BIRG ticket includes your transportation on the regional train (which is somewhat equivalent to a suburban metro) plus use of any of Rome's subway/bus system for the day. (Not including HOHO buses.)

There have been some very detailed posts here and on other websites that detail exactly how to get to Rome and back using the BIRG ticket and the regional trains. If you do some searching, you should be able to turn up some of these that will hopefully give you all the info you need.

We are arriving in Civitavecchia on the final day of our Med cruise in June. We are departing from FCO that evening and we would like to spend the day doing a bit of sightseeing in Rome. Do you by chance know if we can use the BIRG ticket to also go from Rome to the airport that evening or do we have to purchase a separate ticket?? The Italian train website is doing my head in!!! Thanks, Charles

We are arriving in Civitavecchia on the final day of our Med cruise in June. We are departing from FCO that evening and we would like to spend the day doing a bit of sightseeing in Rome. Do you by chance know if we can use the BIRG ticket to also go from Rome to the airport that evening or do we have to purchase a separate ticket?? The Italian train website is doing my head in!!! Thanks, Charles

I know you cannot use the BIRG if you want to take the Leonardo Express train to FCO from Termini -- it's not covered.

I am less sure about the regional trains as I haven't ever made use of them to get to the airport. I'm sure eurocruiser will chime in with the correct info.

Another option, if you plan to leave your bags at Termini, is to take one of the express bus services from Termini to FCO. The cost is minimal (4 euro per person for Terravision) and the service is very easy. I've used Terravision (link below) but there is at least one other.

http://www.terravision.eu/rome_fiumicino.html

Totally OT: How was your cruise? Are you putting up a review somewhere? Did you buy new Supergas??? I saw Converse everywhere. I loved their billboard:" Shoes are boring, wear sneakers" :)

I'll eventually get a review of the cruise part together and (hopefully) published on CC reviews. For Rome (as you've already seen) I'll probably just review some bits and pieces.

On my Rome shopping list this time, I wanted to buy some Italian perfume (Acqua di Parma Colonia) and a nice leather purse. That and a couple of scarves shot my budget, lol. I did see a cute display of Supergas in a window, but at that moment my feet were aching and the last thing I wanted to do was try on shoes. (I liked the ones that looked like they'd been faded and then overdyed with a different color.)

Hi there,

We are taking a cruise that has us coming in and out of Civi. We are flying into FCO a day early and plan to do Rome in 24 hours (where's Anthony Bourdain when I need him? :rolleyes:). So, from what I can tell, we will need 3 sets of trains:

1) From FCO - Rome (is this Termini)?

2) Termini - Civi

3) Civi - FCO

We are a party of 2 and we are planning on having 2 bags and 2 carry-ons with us. We have no mobility issues and are pretty self sufficient.

That being said, it's our first time in Rome, so we want to make sure we have all the right information and don't leave us high and dry!

Is there a good website that we can look at trains at?

Do you think we'll be okay hauling our luggage and catching the trains?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

We are taking a cruise that has us coming in and out of Civi. We are flying into FCO a day early and plan to do Rome in 24 hours (where's Anthony Bourdain when I need him? :rolleyes:). So, from what I can tell, we will need 3 sets of trains:

2) Termini - Civi

3) Civi - FCO

We are a party of 2 and we are planning on having 2 bags and 2 carry-ons with us. We have no mobility issues and are pretty self sufficient.

That being said, it's our first time in Rome, so we want to make sure we have all the right information and don't leave us high and dry!

Thanks in advance!

Can you carry your bags up and down a huge flight of stairs? That is usually required at the Civi station. Be sure to have your passports, money, and bank cards secured under your clothing because of pickpockets. Be alert even though you'll be exhausted. Also, try to pack as little as possible and plan to use the cruise lines laundry service.

I'll eventually get a review of the cruise part together and (hopefully) published on CC reviews. For Rome (as you've already seen) I'll probably just review some bits and pieces.

On my Rome shopping list this time, I wanted to buy some Italian perfume (Acqua di Parma Colonia) and a nice leather purse. That and a couple of scarves shot my budget, lol. I did see a cute display of Supergas in a window, but at that moment my feet were aching and the last thing I wanted to do was try on shoes. (I liked the ones that looked like they'd been faded and then overdyed with a different color.)

I like Acqua di Parma. For awhile, the St. Regis down in SoCal had toiletries from them. Very nice scent. I only bought one scarf, but it was 70EU. I did wear it everyday after I bought it, to the displeasure of the 3 scarves I brought. I bought that Sherpani purse before I traveled, so I didn't need another one ;-) I saw lots of cool Supergas and some exceptional Converse AND Vans. too. The "deck shoe/skateboard shoe" look is definitely in in Rome:D

I looked at the Voyages to Antiquity website - very interesting.

Thanks Cruisemom42! I didn't know about the bus and it does seem like a pretty reasonable way to do it if the BIRG ticket doesn't include regional trains from Termini to FCO. We were planning to leave our bags at Termini while we do our express sightseeing...is the left luggage facility there safe and reliable? Cheers, Charles

Hi there,

2) Termini - Civi

3) Civi - FCO

Thanks in advance!

Tiffnco:

You DO know that AB made an episode of The Layover on Rome? ;) Go to Travel Channel and you can find it. And, a counterpoint to this is the blog by Katie Parla on what she thinks AB should have done for his 30 hours. I have to admit, I do like hers better...

http://www.parlafood.com/the-layover-rome-parla-food-edition/

She does have 3 of my faves on her list: Pizzarium, Roscioli and Armando al Pantheon.

I like Acqua di Parma. For awhile, the St. Regis down in SoCal had toiletries from them. Very nice scent. I only bought one scarf, but it was 70EU. I did wear it everyday after I bought it, to the displeasure of the 3 scarves I brought. I bought that Sherpani purse before I traveled, so I didn't need another one ;-) I saw lots of cool Supergas and some exceptional Converse AND Vans. too. The "deck shoe/skateboard shoe" look is definitely in in Rome:D

I looked at the Voyages to Antiquity website - very interesting.

This is a fun thread! I've got narrow feet and always interested to hear of footwear tips. I googled 'supergas' and got a fuel station in Rotterdam:o:D

OT but where is good to look at these??

I know you cannot use the BIRG if you want to take the Leonardo Express train to FCO from Termini -- it's not covered.

I am less sure about the regional trains as I haven't ever made use of them to get to the airport. I'm sure eurocruiser will chime in with the correct info.

Another option, if you plan to leave your bags at Termini, is to take one of the express bus services from Termini to FCO. The cost is minimal (4 euro per person for Terravision) and the service is very easy. I've used Terravision (link below) but there is at least one other.

http://www.terravision.eu/rome_fiumicino.html

The train line from Rome to FCO is the FR1 line and with a BIRG ticket, from Roma Termini you can take regional trains or metro, and transfer at Ostiense or Trastevere to get to FR1. But, with luggage in tow, it may be a good idea to use the shuttle bus (based on tripadvisor, it's 4 euro on line or 6 euro at ticket booth).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c144716/Rome:Italy:To.And.From.Fco.html

The BIRG tickets specifically exclude the airport, so you cannot use that ticket on any airport train.

Oh, sorry I have missed this in my earlier post. :eek:

Does it mean BIRG is not valid for all FR1 trains or just the FCO stop (meaning can still use BIRG to get to the stop before FCO)?

If BIRG is not valid for FR1, then it may not be cost efficient for chasfliesu to buy a BIRG.

Oh, sorry I have missed this in my earlier post. :eek:

Does it mean BIRG is not valid for all FR1 trains or just the FCO stop (meaning can still use BIRG to get to the stop before FCO)?

If BIRG is not valid for FR1, then it may not be cost efficient for chasfliesu to buy a BIRG.

It is only the FCO stop that is excluded so, yes, they could get off one stop prior but then what?

chasfliesu needs to get from Civitavecchia to Rome, around Rome during the day, and to FCO that afternoon/evening. Purchasing individual tickets for the lowest cost options would mean:

• Trenitalia ticket from Civitavecchia to Rome = 5 Euro
  • ATAC BIG ticket for Rome transit (full day) = 6 Euro
  • Terravision (or competitive) bus from Termini to FCO = 4 Euro

This would be vs. a 12 Euro BIRG plus the 4 Euro bus to FCO, so not much difference at all. It might be easier to have the BIRG to only have to purchase one ticket.

Thanks Eurocruiser and Sthelder for weighing in. I suspect that it's just as easy to buy a single train ticket from Civitavecchia to Rome and then a one day pass for Rome transit...and I do think the bus idea from Termini to FCO will be easier than changing trains at Trastavere and getting off one stop before FCO and trying to get the rest of the way to the airport. As we'll be leaving our luggage at Termini, does anyone know how safe/easy that is and how much it costs? Also, our flight departs FCO for London at 1915...so we'd be leaving Termini at about 1600 or so to allow one hour travel to FCO and two hours at the airport before departure. Do you think one hour travel from Termini to FCO is adequate at the time of day? Thanks for your insights!

Charles

The left luggage office at Termini is perfectly safe but the relatively high security and human personnel slow down the process, so be sure to leave time for pickup ... it can take a while.

Here are the fees:

5,00 € the first 5 hours

0,70 € /hour from 6th to 12th hour

0,30 € /hour from 13th hour on

You can read more about it on Termini's web site here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Leaving from Termini you don't have the option of the local train, so bus really makes more sense. From Termini you'd need to take either a train or the metro to another train station (Tiburtina would be the closest/fastest) to get the local train to the airport. It's simply not worth the effort.

I've been very pleased by the Terravision bus service, although some have complained about unsafe luggage during the boarding process. If that's a concern one of you can get on the bus and save your seats while the other stands by the luggage hold until it's closed.

The bus ride usually takes just about an hour. I think your timing makes sense. You can purchase tickets in advance here: http://www.terravision.eu/rome_fiumicino.html?adwd=1

Archived