Freedom cabin temperature too warm

is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?

• 76 is too warm
    • 76 is acceptable

People are missing the point.

The tempurature itself is not the problem. But the inability to lower the temperature is absolutely UNacceptable.

That's just the nature of air conditioning, especially once its a few years old. Carnival likely has very little control over it at this point. I'm sure the thermostat can be set lower but the ac can't go down that low when its hot enough out. It was the same thing when we rented a beach house last year, there was a sign by the thermostat saying that the ac cannot cool to more than 15 degrees or so below the outside temperature.

It would have been pointless to complain if it had gotten too hot (not that it did) because there's just nothing the landlord could have done.

Perhaps you can engineer a more effective and efficient air conditioning unit for cruise ships.

~Katy

Clarify something: Are you saying the A/C would not go lower than 76 in your room?

I'm saying we had our thermostat set as low as it would go. Our room stayed way too warm, when we complained we were told Carnival standards in 76 or below. Our room read 75.4.

In the original post he said the room would not get cooler than 76. Can't you change the temp of the rooms on the Freedom? I sure hope you can because we're sailing her in September!!!!!

The room we were in doesn't have a thermostat like you would have in your home with a temperature you can set. All it has is a slider that shows blue for cool and red for warm.

We had ours set as cool as it would go and we would roast at night. When guest services checked it (right under the vent) the reading was 75.4. Carnival standards are 76 or below. They were generous enough to give us a fan. I don't know what floor you're booked on, we had a 10th floor balcony. Good luck!

That's just the nature of air conditioning, especially once its a few years old. Carnival likely has very little control over it at this point. I'm sure the thermostat can be set lower but the ac can't go down that low when its hot enough out. It was the same thing when we rented a beach house last year, there was a sign by the thermostat saying that the ac cannot cool to more than 15 degrees or so below the outside temperature.

It would have been pointless to complain if it had gotten too hot (not that it did) because there's just nothing the landlord could have done.

Perhaps you can engineer a more effective and efficient air conditioning unit for cruise ships.

~Katy

A/C can cool lower than 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the outside temp. You have to have a large enough cooling unit to work with the square footage of your home. If you can only cool 10-15 degrees more than the outside temp, why are the common areas freezing?

I live in Alabama where it's not uncommon for the temps to be in the upper 90's and sometimes 100+, my home is 73 during the day and 70 at night.

Yes, I have experienced this. Carnival is not cooling cabins like they used to to save money on energy costs. I have been told the same thing that you were, and gone through the same thing about trying to get the cabin cooled. I'm not happy about it either. I cruise with my travel fan now.

Looks like the Liberty is having A/C issues now.

I keep my condo at 68 degrees in the winter and 72 in the summer. Always wear shorts and short sleeves. 76 would scald me. I did notice the temp on my last cruise on the Freedom never got below 72, and that was keeping the shades drawn closed during the day. If the norm is 76, the thermostat should reflect that when in the middle not the cold end. All the Conquest ships seem to be getting warmer with each cruise and I have traveled on 22 conquest ship cruises.

• 2 months later...

Trying to keep it going until Carnival listens to their loyal customers and adjust the temps to a more comfortable setting. I know some people are cold blooded, but those people can throw on a sweater, for us warm blooded people we should be comfortable in our cabins. Doing a B2B in October and dreading trying to sleep in the heat. Yes they will give you a fan, but that just blows hot air around.

CARNIVAL HEAR US AND COOL DOWN THE TEMPS!!!!!!!!

It looks like Carnival is making a big mistake. I was on the Magic this past May and our cabin was hot. I wish everyone would complain to the Corp leaders who make these decisions. I could not believe it when they told me the standard cabin temp was. Do you think they sleep in a room as warm as they want us to? If they keep this up I know I will have to find a new cruise line. I cannot handle such warm cabins. I have been sick from the third night night of our cruise to now. I know it is most likely from mold from people leaving the balcony door open letting in all of that humidity. I cannot believe I am saying I was extremely disappointed in this cruise.

We too were on the Freedom July 27 in a balcony cabin. We roasted too! We never complained to Guest Services, but in hind sight, I wish we did! I made every attempt to keep the cabin cool by always closing the heavy drapes even though I would have preferred to admire the gorgeous view! In our Carnival survey we did comment on the comfort level in the cabins. When I'm on vacation, I don't expect to have to deal with ac issues! Come on, Carnival, listen to your guests!!!

It looks like Carnival is making a big mistake. I was on the Magic this past May and our cabin was hot. I wish everyone would complain to the Corp leaders who make these decisions. I could not believe it when they told me the standard cabin temp was. Do you think they sleep in a room as warm as they want us to? If they keep this up I know I will have to find a new cruise line. I cannot handle such warm cabins. I have been sick from the third night night of our cruise to now. I know it is most likely from mold from people leaving the balcony door open letting in all of that humidity. I cannot believe I am saying I was extremely disappointed in this cruise.

I agree, let's all bombard the powers that be about this We deserve to have our cabin temperature set to our standards, not Carnivals!

I agree that we should have our voices be heard! Why should we have to worry about lugging a portable fan to take on a luxury cruise? It almost sounds ridiculous when we are paying good money to stay in a comfortable cabin! Carnival, please listen to your loyal customers. Bring on the chill so we can sleep at night!!!

i agree that we should have our voices be heard! Why should we have to worry about lugging a portable fan to take on a luxury cruise? It almost sounds ridiculous when we are paying good money to stay in a comfortable cabin! Carnival, please listen to your loyal customers. Bring on the chill so we can sleep at night!!!

hear hear!!!!!

I live in Alabama where it's not uncommon for the temps to be in the upper 90's and sometimes 100+, my home is 73 during the day and 70 at night.

...I live in South Florida, where it also gets well into the 90's. We keep out home at 76 basically 24/7. My wife and daughters would freeze if the house was ever lowered to 70 degrees!

...76 degrees seems to be a comfortable temperature for us. Carnival's cabin temps, especially in the balcony cabins, could stem from people propping their doors open. The only times that we were warm, was when we stayed in the balconies. I guess if enough people keep their doors open to hear the sounds of the ocean, the whole floor could get warm. Just a thought...

Yes, this is the point since a lot of people prefer it warmer while others prefer it cooler. This is exactly why the customer should be given a choice about the room temp. My elderly parents who live in Florida think 78 degrees is a comfortable sleeping temperature . Whenever I visit them, I have to sneak to the ac thermostat in the middle of the night drenched in sweat and lower it! I don't even have that luxury on a Carnival cruise because the coolest is 76 degrees? Ridiculous!

There is a thermostat, it was down as low as it would go. Still too hot.

THere could have been the problem. We found on the Valor that to get good a/c had to keep them thermostat set about 5 degrees above the bottom right around 65. Below that it would run for about an hour then shut off for 5 to 6. Talked to a friend who service HVAC systems he said sounds like setting it too low, when you do the system will freeze up, which will cause it to shutt down till it thaws. Of course if you leave it set too low, will refreeze before you even know it is working again.

Neither choice in the poll was good for us. We live in Texas. In the winter we keep the house at 72 when the heat is on (for about 5 minutes). But with our summers in the mid 90's to 100"s we keep the thermostat at 79 or 80. The AC will only cool to 20 degrees less than the outside temperature without straining, so when it is 100 we feel nice and cool at 80.

We will probably get into a battle of the thermostat with the steward as we keep it in the red zone usually. The steward turns it as cold as possible. We prefer it to be about 78 in the cabin. At 76 I am sleeping under the duvet wearing the bathrobe.

We live in Mansfield, Tx. 100 outside.....we set to 76 inside, 74 for sleeping upstairs!!

...I live in South Florida, where it also gets well into the 90's. We keep out home at 76 basically 24/7. My wife and daughters would freeze if the house was ever lowered to 70 degrees!

...76 degrees seems to be a comfortable temperature for us. Carnival's cabin temps, especially in the balcony cabins, could stem from people propping their doors open. The only times that we were warm, was when we stayed in the balconies. I guess if enough people keep their doors open to hear the sounds of the ocean, the whole floor could get warm. Just a thought...

I live in Alabama where it isn't unusual for us to be in the mid 90's in the summer. My home thermostat is set at 73 during the day and 70 at night. 76 is not acceptable to us. I also feel it shouldn't be up to Carnival to decide what is "comfortable", that is a personal preference. As stated before if you're cool you can put on a sweater, if you're hot you can't walk around nude. ((THANK GOODNESS) I guess we could all go sleep in the theatre, it usually freezing it there.

Yes, this is the point since a lot of people prefer it warmer while others prefer it cooler. This is exactly why the customer should be given a choice about the room temp. My elderly parents who live in Florida think 78 degrees is a comfortable sleeping temperature . Whenever I visit them, I have to sneak to the ac thermostat in the middle of the night drenched in sweat and lower it! I don't even have that luxury on a Carnival cruise because the coolest is 76 degrees? Ridiculous!

If you got your room to 76 consider yourself lucky. By afternoon, even with the balcony drapes closed it would get up to 78, and 80 at one point.

I wish Carnival would have it where the A/C turns off when the balcony doors are open. That would stop alot of that. I think some of the newer ships may have that.

Archived