What ID to take in port?

Jen & Kim

We have always just taken our drivers license and sign & sail card. If you have a passport I would take it too. You should be fine with DL, passport and S & S card. Have a great time!:)

Of those ports .. I do not think passport would be required to get the 'tax rebate'. In Europe and other places (not so much cruise destinations) they require the passport to know you are going to leave the country .. and will do the tax rebate. But since these places are typically used to cruise traffic .. passport would not be required.

I tend to take enough ID and keep my passport locked in the safe! Also, lock up two of your three credit cards... in case something does happen you will have an alternative.

Jamaica is a bit of an issue should you venture on your own (vs with the tours). Grand Caymen is pretty much fine as is Cozumel.

Be aware in Cozumel (depends on which terminal your ship goes to) . there are large shopping complexes right at the pier. The 'new pier' is nicer and has FAR more shops .. its a 5 minute walk from the older pier. Going into town is NOT needed unless you want more! I was 'looking' at a mans bracelet at a shop near the ship on the old pier .. it was gold and had the diamonds in a slider on the braclet. It was listed at over $6k... and he immediately dropped it to $4,500 . and as I was leaving . they followed me .. lowering it to somewhere around $3k .. I skipped it . as I was not comfortable with THAT much of a bargain for something of quality. Bargaining is REQUIRED in Cozumel .. but be comfortable with the location you deal with (follow the ships recommendations for shops).

I've read several posters that said they made a photocopy of their passport and left the passport in the safe. They said this comes in handy should you have any problems or have to go to the hospital. Good Luck!:)

Make a color copy of the information page of your passport and take that with you along with your driver's license and sign and sail card. You never want to take passport off the ship especially if you're going to be at the beach. Passports are pure gold in the hands of criminals and a perfect way to get terrorists into our country---stealing passports is a huge business in tourist areas. I've done more than 20 cruises in the Caribbean and I've never been asked for my passport--it stays locked in the safe.

Another school of thought - Copies of passports are not accepted as legal documents in any foreign country/island. The copy would do you no good if you encountered a problem. Saying "the original is in the safe" cuts no ground with foreign officials.

I would never go on foreign soil without my passport, and that is reinforced on the U.S.Passport website.

When snorkeling on an island, I rent a locker for my passport, S&S card, cameras, and other items. Most of the parks have lockers for a minimal fee.

Archived