Enchantment of the Seas

GeoSci64

Any advice for a first timer for tours (or not) in Bar Harbor, Portland, Halifax? Want one lobster (of course) and to see the area. Wife loves lighthouses and old houses. I am interested in shoreline scenery and geology.

I hear Peggy's Cove in Halifax is supposed to be a great sight to see. Its been said to have great landscapes, lighthouses, and everything!!!;) You can book that tour with a lobster lunch or without. We are doing that excursion without the lunch.

In Bar Harbor, we are going to go kayaking in the a.m and then Acadia on our own. Not sure yet how.

Check out this thread to answer some of your questions... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=48217

Good luck!!!! :D

GeoSci64,

Many people who visit Portland make a trip over the bridge into Cape Elizabeth where Portland Head Light is. It is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the country. Interesting to note that the lighthouse was built under the direction of George Washington and first illuminated back in 1791. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow spent alot of time writing poetry there.

Many tourists and locals alike spend the day picnicing, flying kites, playing ball and some actually swim (BRRRR!). The symphony orchestra also performs outdoor concerts there in the summertime.

I would be surprised if the cruiseline DIDN'T offer an excursion there.

Also many large old houses visible along the shoreline as you drive to Fort Williams Park where Portland Head Light is located.

We are on the Enchantment July 11 out of Cape Liberty to Boston, Bar Harbor, and Halifax. We plan to take the Duck Tour on our own in Boston, Spend the day in Acadia National Park with a ship's tour in Bar Harbor, and visit Peggy's Cove with a ship's tour and the boardwalk on our own in Halifax. I'll let you know what we thought when we return. Can't wait to see the ship after the stretching! Anyone here if this is running on schedule? It is supposed to return to service July 7.

I live in Portland and love this city. There is a trail that follows the shore to the right as you leave the terminal area. This will take you to the Eastern Promenade and East End park. Up the hill are old houses that overlook the water, some with widows walks. In that same area is a red tower that looks like a lighthouse. The Observatory was used to spot ships arriving in port. Flags would be flown to signal the various shipping companies that their ships were arriving. Hard to imagine in this era of radio and satellites. Should be open for tours for a good view of the harbor and islands.

Just went to Bar Harbor for dinner with a friend tonight. I live about 45 minutes away but its one of those spots that you forget about if you live here.

I would say that almost all of the restaurants in town serve lobster. My husband used to be a lobsterman and also drive trucks to deliver lobster to different restaurants. One of the places that he used to deliver to was a place we would go to get lobster dinners, (we usually just cook it at home) was the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/

I made a point of looking tonight to see how far it is from Bar Harbor, its about 10 miles right on the main road, Rt. 3. Its a traditional lobster pound, i think you can pick the lobster you want, they cook it seawater right outside in wood fired cookers. Its NOT a fancy place!! Just good.

You have to go by "the park" to get to it, i think its about 5 miles down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith:

I'm looking into a private van tour of Acadia and other key parts of Mt. Desert Island (Northeast Harbor; Seal Harbor). It would be a 5-hour tour that would begin around 8-8:30 a.m. and end early enough for us to have a lobster lunch in Bar Harbor and still have some time to walk around the town. I've heard that the shoreline walk (it's about a mile) is supposed to be lovely, especially in good weather. We've done many private tours and they are often considerably less expensive and more thorough than the cruise-sponsored bus tours. This way if we want to spend a little more time at one place in Acadia and less in another, we can do it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate the day we're there.

David

Anyone familiar with the Enchantment of the Seas (new retrofit)? Where are there open decks to look around? We will be sailing out of Philly - down the Delaware Bay on Sunday - and I would like to see what my home area looks like from the water! Also - where are the smoking areas located (not me - but....) - any near 4048??

Archived