AquaBus?

Since I'm not familiar with Vancouver or Granville Island, I would like to know if we can take the AquaBus from somewhere around the cruise docks (staying at Fairmont Waterfront) to Granville Island? Also, is there a stop on Granville Island that is walkable to the Market??

Do you recommend a visit to Granville Island? We will only have part of an afternoon and evening to see Vancouver.

Since I'm not familiar with Vancouver or Granville Island, I would like to know if we can take the AquaBus from somewhere around the cruise docks (staying at Fairmont Waterfront) to Granville Island? Also, is there a stop on Granville Island that is walkable to the Market??

Do you recommend a visit to Granville Island? We will only have part of an afternoon and evening to see Vancouver.

No, the geography doesn't work that way. The cruise terminal/Fairmont Waterfront is on the north side of the peninsula of downtown Vancouver, Granville Island is south of the peninsula. Easiest way of getting there is taking one of the many city buses that go there, such as the #50 False Creek, but there are other options too. http://translink.ca/ for full transit maps.

If you like shopping, or just browsing, then GI is one of the best places in Vancouver - tonnes of pretty unique shops, lots of artsy-craftsy stuff. You prior query about buying unique souvenirs...? If you thought any of the arty side of things sounded interesting, then GI will have many shops that cater to your desires.

OTOH there isn't a lot to actually DO there (although kids have access to one of the best indoor playgrounds I've ever seen in the kid's market, so if you're travelling with pre-teens you might need to drag them out kicking & screaming when you want to leave!) that isn't eating, drinking or shopping. I rarely get past the first two of those though, so I like GI a lot:D

The Aquabus/False Creek Ferries are a really pleasant way to get there - the GI stop is right behind the market, and you can get there in one hop from David Lam park or the bottom of Hornby Street. As already mentioned, none of them leave False Creek to come around to the Canada Place side, but you can do a mini-cruise of False Creek on both local ferry companies for $11 ($15 for a day pass instead of just one loop) that let's you see the Olympic Village, Science World, cruise past Yaletown and under a couple of our bridges. FCF also go a little further out to the Maritime Museum.

If it's a nice day, you can get some great photos from the water and you'll literally see a different side of Vancouver - personally I'd much rather throw a few bucks at the little ferries than take the Transit buses to GI. You can also tell your friends you came to Vancouver and cruised *twice* and they'll be even more jealous;)

Would it be worth our while to visit Granville Island, or is there another suggestion for some quick sightseeing around/near our hotel?

Granville Island is what as known in the shopping centre industry as a "festival market" the single largest component of which is a large public market. By all means it is well worth a visit and a person can well spend several hours or more there. Taking one of the little ferries is a great way to get there. With taking transit you will have to walk a couple of blocks onto the island. If you want to do something a little closer to your downtown hotel then would be to take the SeaBus from Waterfront Station to Lonsdale Quay, this will provide you with a harbour cruise and you can spend an hour in the Lonsdale Quay Market however, while it is fun the market is much smaller than Granville Is.

Archived