Cruisin' Like a Hawaiian - Pride of America 05.04.2013 Review

puddles99

Did I miss the rest of this review ? It seems to have just stopped in the middle .

Sorry if it seemed a little choppy - I couldn't get the entire thing & all pics uploaded in one sitting. It's all here though & I just got the dailies scanned and added a link to those as well.

It's all here, Cousin! See page 4 for Big Island and Kaua'i, page 5 Circle Island Tour Oahu and sad goodbyes plus epilogue. I think we just all wanted it to keep on going forevah ;) because it is soooo good!

Awwww, you're too sweet. Isn't it so sad that all good things must come to an end? Now it's back to worky, worky so I can pay for my next getaway! :D

So for the specialty restaurants, the cover charge covered all of your meal expenses?

Yes, with two exceptions:

- Alcoholic beverages or soda

- Multiple entrees

You can select more than one app or dessert, but you're limited to one entree. O course, if you have an issue with the entree, they'll gladly correct it or bring you something different.

I thought I couldn't BE more excited about our upcoming POA cruise, and your posts have definitely given me some great ideas! We're going with my sister and BIL, and it'll be our 10th anniversary... absolutely once in a lifetime. Thanks so much for the reviews and suggestions!

Enjoying your review so far! :) I followed you from out Gem Roll Call, I am only on page 3 but I wanted to get my comment in.

I really hope to do this cruise sometime soon. I have been to Hawaii before (back in the late 90's) but it was on a much older ship (built in the 60's I think).

The Captain at the time had planned to do a lava sail by type thing but something delayed us in port that day and he was in a hurry to get to the next port so we didn't have the time, he had to go a different route. So we never got to see any Lava but it was neat to see in your pics.

I thought I couldn't BE more excited about our upcoming POA cruise, and your posts have definitely given me some great ideas! We're going with my sister and BIL, and it'll be our 10th anniversary... absolutely once in a lifetime. Thanks so much for the reviews and suggestions!

Oh how wonderful - Congratulations on your anniversary! Have a fantastic adventure!

Enjoying your review so far! :) I followed you from out Gem Roll Call, I am only on page 3 but I wanted to get my comment in.

I really hope to do this cruise sometime soon. I have been to Hawaii before (back in the late 90's) but it was on a much older ship (built in the 60's I think).

The Captain at the time had planned to do a lava sail by type thing but something delayed us in port that day and he was in a hurry to get to the next port so we didn't have the time, he had to go a different route. So we never got to see any Lava but it was neat to see in your pics.

Keep an eye on http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php and the Hawaii Port of Call Forum to track the current flow. Most of last year, there was no visible flow from off shore but it started up again in December (if I recall correctly). It was a fantastic sight to see.

Great review and pictures!!! I am just staring my research for my trip in 2015 for my 45th bday. Your report is a great kickstart for me!!!

Oh what fun! You will have an amazing time . . . if you think of any questions, ask away; there are many of us who would love to me of help if there's any way we can.

Puddles99

You may be the only one who knows when MODERNO CHURRASCARIA will open on POA. NCL website says it's finished but ‘What’s on board?” does not list it. I have read your prior postings "Moderno is now open and it looks beautiful! We hope you enjoy dining in there during your cruise!" Now I read about your cruise and your 5/19/13 posting with the following brief statement, "The crew on board has no control over what corporate does or says - including the mis-information about Moderno."

Can you provide some details?

Thank you so much.

Thank you for the great pictures and review. Just booked this cruise for Sept. Can't wait. We are spending a few days before in Honolulu, any other suggestions you can offer? For instance, you didn't rent a car, can we easily walk around to sightsee, or will a car be necessary? By the way we were on the sun also last April! Small world

Puddles99

You may be the only one who knows when MODERNO CHURRASCARIA will open on POA. NCL website says it's finished but ‘What’s on board?” does not list it. I have read your prior postings "Moderno is now open and it looks beautiful! We hope you enjoy dining in there during your cruise!" Now I read about your cruise and your 5/19/13 posting with the following brief statement, "The crew on board has no control over what corporate does or says - including the mis-information about Moderno."

Can you provide some details?

Thank you so much.

Here's what I know:

Corporate said it was open - but it wasn't. Apparently when I asked, they checked the construction schedule, saw that it should have been done, and told me it was. I'd heard rumors that it wasn't, and that was confirmed when we boarded. It was not open and the best on-board estimate was that it would be another week or so.

Let me email the on-board head of Guest Services and see if I can get an update - stay tuned!

Thank you for the great pictures and review. Just booked this cruise for Sept. Can't wait. We are spending a few days before in Honolulu, any other suggestions you can offer? For instance, you didn't rent a car, can we easily walk around to sightsee, or will a car be necessary? By the way we were on the sun also last April! Small world

It really depends what you want to do & see. There are lots of things walkable from Waikiki and if you're looking for some down time on the beach, no transportation is necessary. We chose activities that included transportation for anything additional we wanted to do. It just requires a bit of research.

Do you know what you'd like to do? If so, let me know and I'll be happy to share any research or advice I have on the topic. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

To confirm the good info that Chuck already posted, I just got this response to my email inquiry:

I remember you! Yes, Moderno is complete and has been in operation for two weeks now. We certainly appreciate you providing helpful information so others can have a great experience on our ship. Take care and all the best!

Thank you,

Sayeed Razavi | Guest Service Manager

Have I mentioned how AWESOME the on-board team is? :D

Thanks for the review. We booked this trip for November. We will be in an aft 2 bedroom family suite. So excited, especially after reading your review and seeing your pictures.

I'm sure you'll have a blast! All if the renovations are scheduled to be done by then so you'll have lots of new areas to explore in board. Enjoy your adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

What was the second snorkling excursion you went on?

Second on the ship or second of the trip? Our snorkeling excursions in order were:

• Hanuama Bay (through Hanuama Bay Snorkel Adventures, pre-cruise)
  • Molokini Crater / Turtle Town (Pacific Whale Foundation / booked through NCL)
  • Kealakekua Bay (Captain Zodiac Adventure / booked through NCL)

puddles99 - WOW thanks for putting together such a great review. It has certainly given me much to look forward to.

We're taking our first cruise onboard the POA departing Honolulu 3rd August 2013 - V, V Excited.

We're travelling out from England to Oahu via a 4 night stop in San Fransisco. Arriving in Honolulu 30th July 2013 for a 4 night stay in Waikiki before POA cruise.

BIG trip of a life time - to celebrate my 40th (2nd August), other half turned 50 (18th February), oh & we thought we'd do the deed & tie the knot whilst in Waikiki!!!!!

So, we're all set, but your posts have given us lots of info & it's greatly appreciated.

Just wondering if you have a direct contact email address for pre-cruise concierge, and also for Guest Service or Cruise Director onboard as I'd like to get in touch with them as our 1st cruise will also be our honeymoon!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.