PADI Certification Onboard Freedom of the Seas

Does anyone happen to know how we would go about signing up for the PADI certification on Freedom of the Seas? Is this an excursion? Can we sign up in advance or do we have to wait until we are onboard? Thanks.

I'll be on Freedom June 9 and am thinking about doing this as well. I did find it under excursions online. I'm on the Western itinerary and found the excursion was listed under Grand Cayman. Excursion ID ZG03. It may or may not be different for your sailing (especially if you're on the Eastern route).

I almost did this last cruise and know that you can also sign up at the Seatrek Dive Shop once onboard. Its located on deck 11, near the entrance to the WJ. You just have to make sure to sign up on on Day 1 as I believe the course starts right away (maybe early Day 2, not sure).

I signed up in advance a couple years ago on the Navigator. I thought it was a great course, and I finished up the final pieces to get my full OW certification after I got home. I thought it was worth it.

If you really want to dive on your trip, I would try to get your basic open water done before the cruise. There's classroom and pool time involved that will cut into the trip.

If that's the route you want to go, have fun and be safe! Diving is an extremely rewarding hobby.

Note that this is a PADI SCUBA Diver certification and not PADI Open Water Diver certification. See PADI web site for differences. There are a few.

You may have noticed something I missed but PADI has several different certification courses. They begin with the Open Water Diver then the Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, Master Diver and Dive Instructor. Each certification course builds on the previous level. If this is the OP's first certification it would have to be the "PADI Open Water Certification".

I suspect the title "PADI Scuba Diver Certification" encompasses all the levels because the ship's dive instructor could also be certifying someone to the Advanced Open Water or Rescue Diver levels.

Edited by Don Pedro

You may have noticed something I missed but PADI has several different certification courses. They begin with the Open Water Diver then the Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, Master Diver and Dive Instructor. Each certification course builds on the previous level. If this is the OP's first certification it would have to be the "PADI Open Water Certification".

I suspect the title "PADI Scuba Diver Certification" encompasses all the levels because the ship's dive instructor could also be certifying someone to the Advanced Open Water or Rescue Diver levels.

Nope. The Scuba Diver certification is a specific certification by PADI. It includes the first two open water dives, and would allow the holder to dive to 40 feet, accompanied by a dive master.

On the contrary. The SCUBA cert is the lowest level and requires you to dive under the direct supervision of a divemaster.

From the site:

"This course requires less time than the PADI Open Water Diver course, covering only the first three of five sections of knowledge development, the first three of five pool sessions, and the first two of four open water training dives, resulting in a limited certification. "

Nope. The Scuba Diver certification is a specific certification by PADI. It includes the first two open water dives, and would allow the holder to dive to 40 feet, accompanied by a dive master.

I'm sure you have a good basis for your comments and it is just something I've missed but when I go to the PADI site he lowest certification level I see is the Open Water Diver.

We did PADI Open Water cert on our 2007 Adventure cruise. There were 4 open water dives. Most people just did the 2 dives, and then it was us (my dad, brother, and I) and maybe one or two more people that went on to the open water cert (more classroom time and dives). We loved it. It didn't take up too much time and we liked doing our cert dives in the tropics, versus the Long Island Sound or Atlantic Ocean up here :eek:

Thanks, don't know why I couldn't find this on the PADI website. Years ago I was an avid PADI diver and don't recall this course being available. It certainly fits the bill for cruise ships. Their limited time in port coupled with the required surface intervals, between dives, would make it difficult to get the required four open water dives. It could be done but it would be an exhausting day for most people.

Edited by Don Pedro

I obtained my PADI Open water certification 14 years ago on the Grand Princess. It was a wonderful experience. Yes, I used a lot of my ship time in class, but was 17 at the time and loved it. I did my open water dives in beautiful tropical locations that would not have been available to me at home in Pittsburgh. It definitely started me off with a great experience. Sadly, not many ships offer this any more.

While the Scuba certification is limited, it would be possible to complete the other open water portions at a facility at home, and do your next 2 open water dives on your next vacation. Since you're already limited to diving with a five master until you get the open water, you're not really losing anything anyway.

If this interests you, go for it! I'm sure once you're done, you'll be ready to continue your certification education!

• 1 year later...

I got Certified on my last cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

To sign up you have to visit the SeaTrek Dive Shop on Deck 11 before 5pm on Embarkation Day.

Typically, you would get a instruction package and they would ask you to read about 3 chapters over night. Just to prepare for a classroom session the next day.

The next day, a sea day, they would put you in a classroom and make all the students watch a video the chapters you read. Its' from 12:45 to 5:30. I don't think I needed to read in fine detail the instructions because the video covers what you just read.

You get a free day on day 3, but on day 4, you do the pool dives/sessions. Where you actually go into the pool to do exercises. You'd do this from 7 am to 10:30 am on the day you go to Jamaica.

then on day 5, in The Grand Caymans, You do your Shore dive.

the schedule is quite flexible, depending on how many students there are.

When i went, it was low season, so i went on a 1-1 instructions. so the video only took like 3 hours and the pool session was like 2 hours.

quite an experience on a cruise ship. My instructor Laura was quite helpful.

There is an option to get the full open water certification, just a longer classroom session, pool session, and an extra 2 dives in Cozumel.

its' a lot of work, but it's so convenient and makes your shore excursions so much special.