train to Lucca?

LilMissK

Hi,

Quick question, re getting the train to Lucca.

When we get off at Pisa Centrale, is the train to Lucca, just called Lucca? Is Lucca the final destination?

And coming back from Lucca, is the train to Pisa, called the Pisa train? Final destination, Pisa?

Thanks!

Yes, Lucca's train station is barely outside the walls but about a 20 min. walk. Or you can taxi.

I suppose you are coming from Livorno and want to visit Pisa's Campo dei Miracoli and then your plan is to go on to Lucca? I would suggest going straight to Lucca, whether it's via the train or bus. After touring Lucca, take the bus to Pisa.

Yes, Lucca's train station is barely outside the walls but about a 20 min. walk. Or you can taxi.

Clearly we are talking about two different places, perhaps you are not aware that there are pedestrian-only entrances. It is one tenth of a mile from the front door of the train station to an entrance through the wall, on a footpath. As you exit the train station it's right in front of you.

In twenty minutes I could easily walk across the entire city (and halfway back).

I believe we are talking about the same place. I travel to Lucca twice a year, April and December, for business and pleasure - I own a rental apartment there, near Piazza San Michele.

I always recommend the bus because of ease and comfort, especially for the first time visitor. The bus station is within the walls at Piazzale Verdi and there is a TI nearby where a visitor can usually obtain a map of the city.

Despite the compact nature of Lucca's historic center, a visitor with limited time probably has certain sites in mind. However, if you are only spending 3-4 hours in Lucca including time for lunch, I would skip the churches and museums and just enjoy strolling through the beautiful city and upon the walls. Shopping is very good in Lucca, if that is important to you.

I just returned from a cruise of the Mediterranean and for the first time visited Istanbul and wanted to use the city's trams. I found the public transportation information in a Rick Steves guide book for Mediterranean ports to be quite reliable and would recommend it to to you if you aren't familiar with use of buses and trains in Italy.

You make a good case for the bus ... so there's no need to misrepresent the location or ease of the train to make your point. Readers here are pretty savvy, given the facts about the alternatives they'll be in a good position to decide for themselves which mode suits them best.

Can you provide us with a link to the bus service for schedule information and where to get the bus?

Is there a bus from livorno to Pisa? Or livorno to Lucca? I've heard there isn't, so would rather do the train the whole way, rather than half bus, half train.

No, no plans to stop at Pisa, just changing trains..

There don't appear to be any public buses from Livorno to Lucca, you'd need to go to Pisa and change bus lines/companies there for a bus to Lucca.

The previous poster makes a case for the ease of arriving inside the walls, vs. the train station (a 1/10th of a mile walk from the wall), but given that you need to change from one bus to another I don't see that it's all that more efficient. One bus from Livorno to Lucca would be another story, but I haven't been able to locate one.

There may be tours that you can pick up from the tourist office at Piazza Grande, but unless someone posts with actual information that would be a guess.

Bus from Livorno to Pisa: CPT line # 10: http://www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extraXlocalita.htm

Bus from Pisa to Lucca: VaiBus, I think it's line Q3: http://www.vaibus.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Archived