Up Front tip for Steward? Yes or No? How much?

I have tipped prior many times and it does not always give you better service. Even at dinner. I learned it is better to tip at the end and increase if they go above and beyond. I would tip all the waiters, head, assistant and received the same service as others. Just my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I always give a $20 when we meet and introduce ourselves to our steward.I bribe :)

I know service will be fine either way but I like to take care of people that will take good care of us

And Pete was correct ,if you take care of your bartender you will get superior service

Yeah, I took care of my bartender one time and he kept triple shotting me! :eek:

One drink and I was whacked! :p

• 2 weeks later...

I tip upon arrival, when first meeting the room steward. I ask for ice in my small cooler everyday, extra pillows, wine glasses, etc. I'm sure they would bring it without the arrival tip, but I just feel better for doing it...

Never up front, I too call that a bribe. Most of the time I have had "ninja" stewards, the ones ya never see. I'd say on average I have seen my steward 2-3 times a 7 day cruise. Our last cruise he missed our room one night for cleaning and bed set, and he left only 3 towel critters all week ( yes, not mandatory..but sad for a daughter who compared hers at breakfast to her cousin on board.)

We see how it goes and at the end of the week we determine if the gratuity was earned. It might get adjusted at times, but never removed.

As for learning his name or our names, 90% of the time I cannot pronounce their name and I have never had a cruise ship staffer, be it steward or waiter ever greet me by name, nor has my wife??? We hear this happens, but we have never witnessed it??

Never up front, I too call that a bribe. Most of the time I have had "ninja" stewards, the ones ya never see. I'd say on average I have seen my steward 2-3 times a 7 day cruise. Our last cruise he missed our room one night for cleaning and bed set, and he left only 3 towel critters all week ( yes, not mandatory..but sad for a daughter who compared hers at breakfast to her cousin on board.)

We see how it goes and at the end of the week we determine if the gratuity was earned. It might get adjusted at times, but never removed.

As for learning his name or our names, 90% of the time I cannot pronounce their name and I have never had a cruise ship staffer, be it steward or waiter ever greet me by name, nor has my wife??? We hear this happens, but we have never witnessed it??

Its pretty easy to actually ask their name and if one cannot pronounce it after the introduction ask them again. Respect is a wonderful thing, Its appreciated everywhere in the world regardless of your occupation ;)

We have had wait staff call us by name the first day at dinner and through out our cruise

Absolutely on the first day when I meet the room Stewart I shake his hand and palm a $20 bill, look him straight in the eyes and say this is an act of good faith. All I ask is that you take good care of my wife. Has always always paid off. Keep std tips on account and a little extra at the end. Have never been disappointed.

JKrise

One thing I have been thinking about doing, was bringing some local made candy, the kinda stuff you can't get unless you live in the area. Something that we enjoy at home and wanted to share with someone who's gonna be dealing with us for a week. What do you guys think of that?

I always bring a variety of candies, chocolates, starburst, jolly ranchers and tootsie rolls. I put it on the stewards carts... They appreciate it and when I started putting it on other carts they inquired and our steward told them " it's okay to eat it, it's from one of our rooms :)

I guess you could say we over tip as well. I look at the sacrifice they are making to provide for their families back home. When we sail with the kids we see a huge difference in service, meaning its usually better.

It upsets me that many remove there gratuities just because they are cheap. If it can be justified that is one thing.

For the people that pre-tip aka bribe their stewards. Do you also pre-tip waitresses at restaurants on shore?

If the steward at first meeting came up hand out expecting a tip and saying you take care of me, I take care of you would you still be so inclined to pre-tip

I personally wait till end of cruise to tip extra. Even bar staff still remember me and I don't tip more than the auto 15% each drink

For the people that pre-tip aka bribe their stewards. Do you also pre-tip waitresses at restaurants on shore?

If the steward at first meeting came up hand out expecting a tip and saying you take care of me, I take care of you would you still be so inclined to pre-tip

I personally wait till end of cruise to tip extra. Even bar staff still remember me and I don't tip more than the auto 15% each drink

We eat out very often and yes the pre bribe nice tips work

I don't even need to ask because our waitress knows what we drink and what our needs are

Its automatic ;)

Some will never get the one thing universal in the world EVERYONE LOVES MONEY

For the people that pre-tip aka bribe their stewards.

With all due respect, you choose to project the negative characterization of a bribe.

However, others like myself view it as a gesture of good faith/good will, capitalizing on trusting in repreocity from the crew. This in turn sets the expectations and ensures my wife has an exceptional time. Happy wife - happy life.

JKrise

With all due respect, you choose to project the negative characterization of a bribe.

However, others like myself view it as a gesture of good faith/good will, capitalizing on trusting in repreocity from the crew. This in turn sets the expectations and ensures my wife has an exceptional time. Happy wife - happy life.

JKrise

p

if that worked, you would find more employers paying their employees before they do any wonk, but would quickly find their performance would not be affected.

i know no one that prepays their butlers or housekeepers.

the bartender? different story, as well as a separate tipping system anyway.

Always tip extra at the end. The amount of the tip depends on the level of service. I've never tipped at the start. It would feel awkward to me.

I think it would feel awkward too. I usually tip at the end, as I have never had anything but exceptional service provided by our room stewards.

The last couple of cruises I have given our room steward a gift of a baseball cap from our home town MLB team (our MLB team happens to be the first American major league team - so there's some interesting history). This is simply a way to introduce to the steward where we are from. It also breaks the ice a little bit ... sets us up for a little less formal interaction. Not a bribe ... just a friendly gesture.

Absolutely on the first day when I meet the room Stewart I shake his hand and palm a $20 bill, look him straight in the eyes and say this is an act of good faith. All I ask is that you take good care of my wife. Has always always paid off. Keep std tips on account and a little extra at the end. Have never been disappointed.

JKrise

Just curious--have you ever not "palmed a $20" at the beginning? I think you'd find the same service regardless. That's all some of us are saying--you'll get the same service whether you bribe them or not and can them give them a reward at the end (better than a bribe at the begining, IMHO).

Some will never get the one thing universal in the world EVERYONE LOVES MONEY

I think we all get that. :D I do believe that when we're talking about the small percentage who tip extra, those who bribe believe they get better service because of it and those who don't believe they get the same service and give a reward after the fact.

I think it would feel awkward too. I usually tip at the end, as I have never had anything but exceptional service provided by our room stewards.

The last couple of cruises I have given our room steward a gift of a baseball cap from our home town MLB team (our MLB team happens to be the first American major league team - so there's some interesting history). This is simply a way to introduce to the steward where we are from. It also breaks the ice a little bit ... sets us up for a little less formal interaction. Not a bribe ... just a friendly gesture.

Yikes. Can you imagine if only one passenger in every room they service gave them a "token" of some sort? Their rooms are so very small...

I think we all get that. :D I do believe that when we're talking about the small percentage who tip extra, those who bribe believe they get better service because of it and those who don't believe they get the same service and give a reward after the fact.

I have always bribed and always had awesome service :)

I have no data to compare ;)

I always do it. Im not sure how effective it is though. There are a couple of times that I know for a fact I got much better service. And then there have been a couple that i knew I the service was just standard.

I tend to be messy in the room and leave clothes everywhere, so I think he/she deserves it.

EDIT - Forgot to add that I usually tip $20.

Yikes. Can you imagine if only one passenger in every room they service gave them a "token" of some sort? Their rooms are so very small...

I don't expect everyone will do this, or nor do I suggest that anyone do so ... this is simply what I choose to do. I don't expect to receive affirmation from an online forum anyway. ;)

I don't expect everyone will do this or even want to do ... this is what I want to do. I don't expect to receive affirmation from an online forum.

Do you think though that the $15 hat that you have to lug from home will mean anything to your cabin steward ? $15 in cash to support their family at home will mean something!!

Don't get me wrong its a nice gesture

I don't expect everyone will do this, or nor do I suggest that anyone do so ... this is simply what I choose to do. I don't expect to receive affirmation from an online forum anyway. ;)

I was neither affirming nor flaming, just commenting. While it may make you feel good to do it, it's just one more thing a steward has to take care of (I doubt he or she keeps it) and adds to his work. Just looking at it from a different perspective.

even if someone were to inform you they simply throw the junk in the trash?

Archived