Up Front tip for Steward? Yes or No? How much?

Just got back from the Breeze and did not bribe the steward. I lacked nothing and he was perhaps the best cabin steward I have ever had. He really couldnt have been any better.

You got lucky, we were on the same cruise and this was the worst steward we have ever had. This is the first time we did not leave any extra money....Every night we had to track him down because he took our beach towels and didn't replace them!

We did, however have an amazing dining staff at ATD and we requested her every night. We gave her the money we put aside for her AND gave her the extra money we would have given to the steward...

I felt guilty not extra tipping, but we did still give him the pre-paid tips.

My ... you certainly are the friendly sort, aren't you? Have a wonderful day ... ! :rolleyes:

I think he is probably right.

I had a boss who used to travel constantly. He would bring things back for us representing where he went. Of course I would act appreciative and thank him at the time but I did end of tossing the items. Why? Because trinkets from a place I have never been have no value to me. And I am sure it works the same with the crew. They will act like they like it but probably toss it as soon as the guest is gone. A MLB hat with a team logo on it probably means nothing to that crew member. Who knows if they even like baseball. My question would be why wouldn't they toss it.

I feel like people that feel the need to give trinkets want/need appreciation from the crew member. It's all about the person giving the trinket wanting to feel good. When in reality, unless the crew member tells you something specific they need/want, they would much rather have the $15 the hat costs vs the hat.

I think he is probably right.

not probably. there was a time when many carnival crew facebook groups were set up as "open". your head would be spinning if you ever read how they think of "us", how some treat them like pets, and the junk they got that they would smile and bring the stuff to the nearest recepticle in crew only area. of course, there were some things they didn't. that was an interesting list.

most admins got smart and eventually made those groups private, but they were fun while they lasted. but there may still be some out there.

Archived