Accessible European River Cruises

mikedw

My wife usually takes both her scooter and a travel wheelchair when we cruise and I've started doing some research into European River Cruises. From what I can see, most of them say they can't accommodate anyone with a disability.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I find it hard to believe that they can't have some modifications on these boats considering their target demographic is older. Thanks for your help.

Like your wife I use a scooter and w/c when I cruise. It's not just the river boats that are not accessible, it's where they dock. Steep stairs, often the ships are way below street level without any accessibility even if you could get to shore,

I would love to take a river cruise but I don't think it is possible

Our TA and friends that have been on river cruises have confirmed this for me

Guess I will just have to stick to ocean/ sea going ships

Wish I had better news for you

You might want to post on the River Cruising board -- some ships and itineraries might be more accessible than others. From what I've read it does seem as if they would be difficult for someone with major disabilities.

The other concern I would have is how the river boats "dock". I have heard that sometimes instead of tieing directly to the dock, they tie up to another river boat. To get to the dock, you may have to go thru another boat or two. So even if your boat was completely accessible, you might not be able to get to the dock.

MikeDW

Try 'Googling' accessible holidays for disabled or something similar. I don't know if you have been using the words 'handicapped' or 'vacation', but I found quite a lot of information just by a quick search. Sorry, I didn't have time to read it all, but there is a boat called Ms Alegria that appears suitable and a company called Scenic Tours UK based. You could also try www.accessibletravel.co.uk

We've fancied a river cruise for quite a while but worried too about accessibilty.

Last year I found a (new?) line call Avalon, who have quite large cabins which looked suitable for a wheelchair and the boats looked quite accessible. At least, that was the case on one of the newbuilds that I was looking at a cruise on. I can't remember if there were any X cabins, because I personally can mange in a standard if it is large enough. I phoned up and they were very helpful, no guarantees but if I wanted to investgate further they would do some more work.

The main point made wasn't about berthing but about the tours, which IIRC were included. Apparently, they can be quite energetic and I might find myself floundering behind, with DW breathlessly pushing the chair while I wheeled along.

But give them a ring, maybe they have something for you.

Chunky2219

I haven't been on a river cruise, but as far as I know the boats berth in town centres. I would imagine that it makes seeing the sites easier. When we were in Honfleur, Normandy last year there was one very near to where we parked our car which was a flat walk to the town centre.

We enquired with several lines that offer river cruises. H uses a small mobility scooter, which we have never cruised without. Some had or were building boats that catered for people with mobility issues or who used aids/scooters etc. Lifts, larger cabins etc. The warnings we got were primarily about getting ashore, getting around on shore and being able to enjoy the included tours, dinners etc on shore. In some ports the river level is very low ( and can in some seasons prevent cruising on that stretch) involving steps as mentioned by other posters. The cobbled streets, stepped levels in older streets and kerbing can also be a problem when exploring the town independently. Many of the tours are rightly to historic buildings for dinner or viewing and these are not scooter or even wheelchair friendly and acessible transport cannot be guarrenteed. We reluctantly took this honest advice which fitted with our memories of Europe along the Rhine and Danube, when we were land based travellers.

• 2 weeks later...

cjm66

I understand your concerns, but I don't know when you were last in Europe, but things have improved drastically in recent years for disabled people. Obviously, there are castles, old palaces etc tha are not possible to visit, but many places do have lifts in place only for the use of disabled visitors.

At present I am in Normandy and revisited Honfleur the other day and used my Pride GoGo scooter. Admittedley, it was a bumpy ride on the cobblestones, but a lot of the roads have tarmac and they all had dropped kerbs.

I find most European destinations disabled friendly. In my experience Italy is the least friendly of the European countries we visit.

I don't know your personal requirements and understand the problems with tides etc. I have limited mobility and can manage steps, so maybe I can do a bit more than you. l know you have spoken to the agents arranging these tours but have you spoken to the boat companies direct, or sent them an email. A lot of tour companies tell you things are not possible, when in fact they are. I have particularly found this to be the case in the Caribbean. At the end of the day they are covering their own a***s.

Maybe with some good research you could find a river cruise to suit your needs.

Thank you London Towner. I agree that everyone should do their own research directly as we did mainly by email, rather than relying on agents advice or tour companies. Or for that matter on reports on Cruise Critic. We do hope to return to Europe but will skip the river cruise component for the reasons I outlined. We need more flexibility to work around stairs, raised wharves and steeply raked streets so will stick to land based travel and a mix of car and train travel as before with the odd day cruise thrown in. I would not wish to put anyone off travelling in Europe with a scooter or wheelchair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last fall, we took one of the new Viking longboats from Amsterdam to Budapest. I use a three wheel rolling walker and found the boat itself easily navigable. At the time I reported that parked by the elevator were several wheelchairs and four wheel walkers, and even more passengers used canes.

We had a balcony with two chairs and a small table which I enjoyed very much floating the river on days that I did not go on walking tours.

These tours were based on activity level and usually included one for those who were slower, or being pushed in wheelchairs.

The staff went out of their way to accommodate individual needs.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from my first river cruise. We went with AMA waterways going from Prague to Budapest. I had with me a Luggie (compact, lite weight and foldable travel scooter) a collapsible walker and a folding cane. I had a fantastic time. The crew aboard the AMABella were fantastic and always willing to help. The CD was very informative in letting me know which shore excursions he felt I could handle and which would be too difficult. When too difficult I stayed on board and watched the scenery from the bow of the ship which had a nice outside seating area and was totally accessible without having to use any stairs.

I can negotiate stairs slowly using a handrail and a cane. Walking long distances I can't do so that is when the Luggie came to my rescue. The cobblestone streets were a bit jarring but I had an extra cushion which helped tremendously. I was able to do Prague just fine (they have lowered curbs on most of the street corners) so I was able to go from the Old town Hilton hotel all the way to the main market square, through the Jewish quarter and down to the river and across the Charles Bridge and back again. I handled Budapest just as easily although we didn't spend as much time there as in Prague.

The shore excursions were probably the most challenging especially when we were double docked. That meant having to go up a full flight of stairs to the sun deck across our deck and the adjoining boats deck and then down their stairs, across their lobby and up and over the gangway. I used my walker to make that distance while my DH wheeled the Luggie up and across. Then when we reached the bike path or street I climbed onto the Luggie and off I went.

I think a river cruise is possible for the disabled, but you have to be totally honest with what your limitations are. If you have a great deal of difficulty with stairs, then IMHO I think a river cruise would not be that enjoyable. But as others have mentioned, do your research first and find out as much as possible about the different cruise lines and their ships etc. We went with AMA as they seemed to make the most concerted effort to assist folks who have difficulties getting around.

I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions about this particular cruise and our experiences in dealing with this cruise line in more detail if you want to email me at cambillsoop@live.com.

Archived