Steak house. Is it worth it?

fsugurl

We are boarding the Freedom on Sunday and contemplating making reservations. How is the food compared to the MDR?

OMG, yes it is well worth it. We celebrated my mother's birthday in Freedom's steakhouse toward the end of the cruise. We left dinner wishing we had dined there earlier in the cruise so we could do it again. IMO the food is a step above the MDR, but it would have to be to justify the added expense. What stood out with me was the personal white glove service we received. We've already decided that we'd do the steakhouse at least three nights on our next cruise:D:D:D.

We are boarding the Freedom on Sunday and contemplating making reservations. How is the food compared to the MDR?

Its better but not worth $35 IMHO. Maybe $25 but thats it.

My experience was not that great. The food was good but really not all that its hyped up to be. The service was amatuer as well. Heck they dont even offer a Porterhouse.

Well worth the extra money! Make reservation for first night (Sunday) and enjoy your complimentary bottle of wine! I took my (well behaved) 10 year old two years ago on MAGIC steakhouse with a large group and we all enjoyed the experience and extra pampering by waitstaff! Be aware that this is a longer than normal dining experience and enjoy the time with friends and family.

The key to success is to save room for the Chocolate Sampler for dessert! Enjoy!

-Boomer

I'm going on a 5 night cruise on Sunday (Glory) and booked the Steakhouse for the last 2 nights of the cruise. I've been to the steakhouse on each of my last 5 Carnival cruises.

I'm on vacation and would like a great dinner. I'm a bit of a food snob too. The steakhouse is worth it to me.

Its better but not worth $35 IMHO. Maybe $25 but thats it.

My experience was not that great. The food was good but really not all that its hyped up to be. The service was amatuer as well. Heck they dont even offer a Porterhouse.

That is unfortunate. What ship were you on?

We're not sailing until August 11th so is it too soon to book a reservation? Also, we plan to eat there on our first night onboard so is there a casual dress code in the steak house? And finally, just to clear up my own confusion, are kids allowed? Our DS is 11 years old but we have never had a problem with him acting up when we go out to restaurants...and he looooves steak.

That is unfortunate. What ship were you on?

Liberty but it was back in 2011 when the Steakhouse was called Harrys. They also refused to cook my Ribeye Medium Rare.

I have heard of other having their steaks cooked MR though so maybe it was th chef that cruise?

OP I say try it, you might like it. Seems most have good experienced.

Thanks for the responses! Can anyone give me an idea of the menu? My husband is a meat fanatic and worships his "big green egg" so we are foodie snobs! LOL!

Here is a link to the "sample" menu that I pulled off the site...hope this works:

https://secure.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Steakhousemenupdf.ashx

Thanks for the responses! Can anyone give me an idea of the menu? My husband is a meat fanatic and worships his "big green egg" so we are foodie snobs! LOL!

Let's see if this works. If it does, the steakhouse menu should be attached.

Steakhouse.pdf

Hands down worth it! My wife and I both thought which as much food as they serve you that we wouldn't leave without feeling uncomfortably full. The food while being a lot was just enough. Our meal lasted about 2 hours and the service was impeccable.

We are going on the Dream in 2 weeks and have our reservation. Probably won't order surf and turf again but will probably order that 20 or something once steak they have.

It is absolutely worth it! DD and I love eating there and have reservations for three nights on our upcoming 12-night cruise. I enjoy eating there after a relaxing day at sea.

Rottweiler Puppy, they used to have a Porterhouse but took it off with the last menu change. :(

We're not sailing until August 11th so is it too soon to book a reservation? Also, we plan to eat there on our first night onboard so is there a casual dress code in the steak house? And finally, just to clear up my own confusion, are kids allowed? Our DS is 11 years old but we have never had a problem with him acting up when we go out to restaurants...and he looooves steak.

It is definitely not too early to make your reservation. If you know when you'd like to eat there, I'd go ahead and make it. Yes, children are allowed. DD started dining with me there when she was 8 years old. She's never had a problem sitting through a two-hour meal and she loves fine dining. The steakhouse is a highlight for us--there was no steakhouse on the last ship (Inspiration) we sailed, and we both felt something was missing from our experience. Some will say there shouldn't be children in the steakhouse and that it's a "romantic" and "adult" experience, but that's their interpretation. I always take my DD and we have a lovely family meal. There are no restrictions on bringing children. So, if your child would appreciate an excellent meal and be able to sit thorugh a couple hours, then by all means, bring him. :D

Liberty but it was back in 2011 when the Steakhouse was called Harrys. They also refused to cook my Ribeye Medium Rare.

That's crazy! I've heard of chefs being upset about cooking a steak medium well or well, but medium rare? And, if that's how you like your steak then that's how they should serve it! Sheesh!

We did the steakhouse one time. The meal was very good. But I was disappointed in the servers - they basically recited a speech about the dish, its preparation, etc. ... I realize that many aren't very proficient in English, but I expected more at the steakhouse. Still, we'll probably dine there one night on our upcoming cruise.

Keep in mind, the cost of the meal is really the $35 pp plus whatever cost you place on the MDR meal you're not eating. :)

Keep in mind, the cost of the meal is really the $35 pp plus whatever cost you place on the MDR meal you're not eating. :)

How did you figure that out? When your meals are included as part of your cruise fare you cannot really count whatever it would have cost to eat in the MDR. That does not even make sense to figure it that way.

The cost is a flat $35 and that includes the tip.

Am I understanding this correctly that if you make a reservation for the first night onboard, you get a free bottle of wine with dinner? Is this written anywhere? Do you get to choose what kind of wine you'd like? TIA!

Am I understanding this correctly that if you make a reservation for the first night onboard, you get a free bottle of wine with dinner? Is this written anywhere? Do you get to choose what kind of wine you'd like? TIA!

For some reason, I think that I read the same thing regarding the free bottle.

Archived