Different Cash Currencies for Ports.

Im sailing on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas leaving from Singapore on June 8th 2013.

Port of call are Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), Hong Kong, Naha (Japan), Jeju (South Korea) and finishing in Shanghai.

I've a couple of questions regarding money, instead of me bringing 4 or 5 different currencies for each port (im travelling from Ireland, if you didnt guess by the user name!!) its impossible to know how much to take for each port.

Does the ship have an ATM and if so will it give out the different currencies for each port or will it only give American Dollars or Singapore Dollars?

Or is there a bureau de change on the ship either, although I'll probably get charged alot in commission!!!

Ill be using my credit card to pay my sea account, for excursions etc, just dont want to have to use it for small things when in port, rather just use cash.

Thanks,

Craig.

The ATM on the ship gives out US Dollars. There will be Bureau de Change available at Customer Services but they will not give the best exchange rates however I doubt you will want much foreign currencies anyway.

My suggestion is to find a fee free credit card and use that for purchases. For cash, use a local ATM to withdraw local currencies. Of course not all the ports/cities you go to will have easy access to ATMs.

• 7 months later...
Im sailing on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas leaving from Singapore on June 8th 2013.

Port of call are Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), Hong Kong, Naha (Japan), Jeju (South Korea) and finishing in Shanghai.

I've a couple of questions regarding money, instead of me bringing 4 or 5 different currencies for each port (im travelling from Ireland, if you didnt guess by the user name!!) its impossible to know how much to take for each port.

Does the ship have an ATM and if so will it give out the different currencies for each port or will it only give American Dollars or Singapore Dollars?

Or is there a bureau de change on the ship either, although I'll probably get charged alot in commission!!!

Ill be using my credit card to pay my sea account, for excursions etc, just dont want to have to use it for small things when in port, rather just use cash.

Thanks,

Craig.

Hi Craig

Just wondering what you ended up doing? We are doing a trip with Mariner of the Seas and I was wondering whether to use their ATM, or get some currency here at the bank before I leave.

Thanks! Lyn

Hi Craig

Just wondering what you ended up doing? We are doing a trip with Mariner of the Seas and I was wondering whether to use their ATM, or get some currency here at the bank before I leave.

Thanks! Lyn

I would not be totally dependent on the ship's ATM for cash. I've seen them out of order quite often.

Hi Craig

Thanks! Lyn

Hi Lyn,

I ended up using the ships ATM as I don't like carrying large amounts of cash. The ATM gave out US Dollars which I changed at customer services for each port, any cash that I had left over from the day in the country I just changed it into the currency for the next stop. Hope this helps and have a great cruise, I'm counting down the days until March.....

Craig