Changing to your married name with Early Saver?

A drivers license is NOT proof of citizenship. Either a birth certificate or passport is proof of citizenship. The drivers license is used in conjunction with a birth certificate as photo ID. The marriage license is a legal document showing that you were married and changed your name. With that said, if you are traveling with your spouse with the same last name as on your drivers license, they don't take issue with the name on your birth certificate being different.. Now if you were not traveling with your spouse, then you might have a problem with having conflicting names so in that scenario you SHOULD bring your marriage license with you.

And if you don't have a passport? She is booked under her married name and her birth cert has her maiden name, so we were under the impression that is where the marriage certificate came in to bridge the name gap.

I would bring the marriage certificate just to be sure. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared.

For the longest time I had my DL in my maiden name because it would have cost money to change, and my passport in my married name, because it was still free to change your name on your passport when you got married. I think I changed it in 2002 when we took our first international trip after getting married, but before all the much stricter post 9/11 rules started. Holy heck it was confusing, because they didn't actually change my name, but just put a note on the last page that I was now known as FirstName MiddleName NewName. People never looked and always gave me the stink-eye because it really didn't look official at all.

Also you can get your passport amended to reflect your married name. Getting it amended isn't an issue, but it doesn't change the main page, you have to flip to the amendment each time. My wife is thrilled to finally be due for a new passport that will have her married name up front. We once had someone at check in change her name in the system back to her maiden name (from the front of the passport) despite showing the amendment. It was more an annoyance than anything else. For our honeymoon we just booked my wife under her maiden name.

Yes you can get it amended for no charge if the name change happens within one year of the passport being issued otherwise there is a $60 charge if it has been longer than one year.

Archived