Changing to your married name with Early Saver?

Since it's too late in the evening to call Customer Service, I'd thought I'd try you guys first :)

DH and I have booked a cruise for next April for our one year anniversary. I booked back in March before we were married, so everything has my maiden name on it. Currently, I am in the process to legally change my last name and want my cruise documents to match up. The problem though, is I booked Early Saver, which allows no name changes. Does this still apply if you get married? I mean, it will still be me in the cabin, just with a new last name. I am hyphenating (Maiden-Married) so even if I can't change my name, my new DL and Passport will still have my maiden name on it, but I am afraid that I will run into issues when trying to board. I still have a while to figure this out, but I'd like to get a jump on things and go ahead and take care of it.

Has anyone been in this situation? Are name changes allowed with ES if you are married and legally change your name? If not, will I be okay keeping my maiden name on my cruise documents? Any help is appreciated.

There actually is a little known $50 fee for changing your own name. They may waive it, but if for legal reasons you change your own name, it costs $50. (per my PVP who quoted me the rule when my sister got married).

they said better to sail on your old passport and then change your passport.

Firefly is right. We booked a cruise a year before we were married and the cruise didn't take place until a year after we were married. When we called to change my name on the booking I had to pay the $50 fee since we booked Early Saver. They told me that there was no way around it. I didn't have to provide any documentation to show the change though. Just had to pay them another $50.

I recently got married and had a couple cruises booked. I went to port with my passport in my madien name and drivers license in my married name.

This is what I was told at the port in Tampa. Your passport and the name you are booked under must match. I was booked on the Ecstasy with my madien name which matched my passport and had no trouble. Then we drove over to Tampa for our Legend cruise which was booked in my married name and the security people stopped me at the door. They went and got someone who said it was ok for me to come in the building. When I got to the desk where you register this is where they told me my name had to match and they changed it for me right there and they also had to make me a new room key.

I still have 2 cruises booked right now in my madien name so they match my passport which doesnt expire until 2015.

I held off on changing everything until after I cruised, brutal as it was to be on my honeymoon with my former married name. You definitely don't want to get into mixed forms of ID. if they'll take the $50, super and well worth it. Call them.

You can change your name on the reservation without the $50. I just did this a couple of months ago. In fact, 2 of 3 of the passengers (my son and I) had name changes. We had booked Early Saver. Called my PVP and got it done. I don't remember if I had to send any paperwork, but it definitely didn't cost anything to do it.

They are supposed to charge you $50. I got lucky thought - my mom/cousin booked our upcoming cruise and my mother booked me under the wrong name! I called and expected to have to pay but they changed it no problem, no charge.

You can change your name on the reservation without the $50. I just did this a couple of months ago. In fact, 2 of 3 of the passengers (my son and I) had name changes. We had booked Early Saver. Called my PVP and got it done. I don't remember if I had to send any paperwork, but it definitely didn't cost anything to do it.

Yes, my PVP changed my name with no charge as well. She changed it to my married name which was not a good thing in the end. If you are using a passport the name on your passport must match the name the cruise is booked under.

Also you can get your passport amended to reflect your married name. Getting it amended isn't an issue, but it doesn't change the main page, you have to flip to the amendment each time. My wife is thrilled to finally be due for a new passport that will have her married name up front. We once had someone at check in change her name in the system back to her maiden name (from the front of the passport) despite showing the amendment. It was more an annoyance than anything else. For our honeymoon we just booked my wife under her maiden name.

I was in the same situation and I brought my ID with my maiden name as well to get on the ship and my current married ID and passport. I was told it was $50 to change names and this was a way around the hassle.

On one of our cruises our PVP accidentally transposed a couple of letters in our last name on my husband's entry. I noticed it a few days later and I had to wait on hold while she got a supervisor to approve not charging me for the name change! :eek:

I would have been ticked if they charged me for their mistake............

I recently got married and had a couple cruises booked. I went to port with my passport in my madien name and drivers license in my married name.

This is what I was told at the port in Tampa. Your passport and the name you are booked under must match. I was booked on the Ecstasy with my madien name which matched my passport and had no trouble. Then we drove over to Tampa for our Legend cruise which was booked in my married name and the security people stopped me at the door. They went and got someone who said it was ok for me to come in the building. When I got to the desk where you register this is where they told me my name had to match and they changed it for me right there and they also had to make me a new room key.

I still have 2 cruises booked right now in my madien name so they match my passport which doesnt expire until 2015.

Thank you for this! I already changed my DL but haven't changed my passport yet and after reading some of these comments, I may not. I still have 7 years on it anyway but of course, it's under my maiden name. I just assumed that all identification had to match (booking, passport, and DL) so that's had me worried. I'm still going to call Carnival today but if I can do this and avoid having to pay $50 to change my name, then I will.

OK, I got married in October and my passport is in my maiden name, with my License in my married name.

I also booked under mymaiden name.

I was told by carnival 3 different times that I can change my passport to my married name, but bring our original copy of our marriage license with me and that will show my maiden name into my married name.

I asked if I could send in my marriage certificate to Carnival and have the name changed and I was told each time that I couldn't.

We are booked under early saver.

ANYONE ELSE do that?

in my passport, I am a blonde. NOW I am all natural with no color on my hair and it is natually a level 3. (which is really dark)

UPDATE: You guys were right! Just spoke with Carnival and they said to just keep my passport in my maiden name as it and my booking information would have to match; that's all I need to board. Otherwise, I'd have to pay the $50 fee to change my name. So, yay! Thank you for your help!

OK, I got married in October and my passport is in my maiden name, with my License in my married name.

I also booked under mymaiden name.

I was told by carnival 3 different times that I can change my passport to my married name, but bring our original copy of our marriage license with me and that will show my maiden name into my married name.

I asked if I could send in my marriage certificate to Carnival and have the name changed and I was told each time that I couldn't.

We are booked under early saver.

ANYONE ELSE do that?

in my passport, I am a blonde. NOW I am all natural with no color on my hair and it is natually a level 3. (which is really dark)

Have you already changed your passport to your married name or is it still your maiden name? Per Carnival this morning, if your passport is in your maiden name and so is your booking info, then you're good to go (just don't change your passport before your cruise).

My DH just had to change his on our last cruise. We realized when we printed our boarding pass that it was his nickname and not his legal name. Called customer service and had it changed immediately for no charge. Was told he would not have been allowed to board if we wouldn't have changed it.

Have you already changed your passport to your married name or is it still your maiden name? Per Carnival this morning, if your passport is in your maiden name and so is your booking info, then you're good to go (just don't change your passport before your cruise).

No, I haven't changed my passport. However, my drivers license is in my married name.

The last time I was on a cruise they checked my passport AND my drivers license.

MAN, I wish they just did and had ONE policy and everyone was familiar with it.

It gets to be so stressful with the what if's. I bring all my documentation all the time but GEEZ!

This sounds confusing...what does the name change matter as long as you have your marriage certificate to show?

My wife has her drivers license (with married name) and her Birth Certificate (with maiden name) so all she'll have to show them is our marriage certificate to connect the dots right?

This sounds confusing...what does the name change matter as long as you have your marriage certificate to show?

My wife has her drivers license (with married name) and her Birth Certificate (with maiden name) so all she'll have to show them is our marriage certificate to connect the dots right?

because the name on the booking must match the name of your passport

No, I haven't changed my passport. However, my drivers license is in my married name.

The last time I was on a cruise they checked my passport AND my drivers license.

MAN, I wish they just did and had ONE policy and everyone was familiar with it.

It gets to be so stressful with the what if's. I bring all my documentation all the time but GEEZ!

I know, right?! I hyphenated my name so my DL still has my maiden in the form of First Middle Maiden-Married, so at least there's that connection if there are any issues. I did ask the man I spoke with about that and he said the passport serves as your federal ID over your DL, and as long as your passport matches your booking information then I will be fine. Still makes me nervous but this way saves me $$$ on the ES name change fee and what it costs to get a new passport!

Guess we could just pay the fee and get our passports changed, but ehhh. I would prefer to use that money for an excursion or something, haha

I got married in 2008. I did not want to pay the fee to change my passport which does not expire until 2016. I still travel under my maiden name.

My drivers license now has my maiden name as my middle name and have had no trouble using it to get back on the ships in port.:)

because the name on the booking must match the name of your passport

And if you don't have a passport? She is booked under her married name and her birth cert has her maiden name, so we were under the impression that is where the marriage certificate came in to bridge the name gap.

And if you don't have a passport? She is booked under her married name and her birth cert has her maiden name, so we were under the impression that is where the marriage certificate came in to bridge the name gap.

I guess in this situation, then they would use your DL and birth certificate as your main form of ID opposed to a passport. I would assume that as long as the DL matches the booking info, then you're good? And the marriage certificate would be used as a back-up if there are any questions. Don't take my word for it though, as I just figured out my issue today! lol

Archived