Verizon Wireless in Bermuda

Pompein

Just switched from AT&T to Verizon. Have an iphone 5. Anyone have Verizon wireless used it in Bermuda? How is the coverage?

Trying to decide what plan to use if any or to just turn it off. Was going to try to buy the 72 hour wireless access. Might need to make some calls to our tour guides, etc.

Thanks!

Just wondering, if you have the Verizon signal, what exactly does that mean? Guess the real question is, how much is having that signal costing you, does it depend upon what plan you might have? I too have Verizon and was just gonna turn off the phone, but of course, I'd rather not.;) I appreciate the advice.

Just wondering, if you have the Verizon signal, what exactly does that mean? Guess the real question is, how much is having that signal costing you, does it depend upon what plan you might have? I too have Verizon and was just gonna turn off the phone, but of course, I'd rather not.;) I appreciate the advice.

You won't have a "Verizon" signal. Verizon does not have its own cells in Bermuda. Your Verizon phone will be roaming on a local Bermuda cell carrier. You can find out the roaming rates and International plans on the Verizon web site.

• 1 month later...

Is there anything you need to do to your phone to allow it to work? I stopped by the Verizon store ad the person there told me no but she answered me very quickly because she was doing something else on her computer and I'm not sure she knew. M wife has an iphone 4 and I have a lucid which is android based. What does *228 do...I saw that on an old post? I really only need to text when on the island.....cell to cell with my wife...maybe text my son at home as well.

As far as 8 understand you need to contact Verizon and have them activate your account for international use. I believe it is free, but you have to pay the roaming charges which can be quite expensive.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As far as 8 understand you need to contact Verizon and have them activate your account for international use. I believe it is free, but you have to pay the roaming charges which can be quite expensive.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's what I thought but the girl at the counter told me I didn't.....I guess I will give their customer service a call.

Is there anything you need to do to your phone to allow it to work? I stopped by the Verizon store ad the person there told me no but she answered me very quickly because she was doing something else on her computer and I'm not sure she knew. M wife has an iphone 4 and I have a lucid which is android based. What does *228 do...I saw that on an old post? I really only need to text when on the island.....cell to cell with my wife...maybe text my son at home as well.

This is how I understand it, anyone feel free to correct me :)

If you want to use your phone you can, but you will be paying roaming charges and per call / per text charges.

I will be putting my phone in airplane mode so that I get no data or phone calls - then I will be turning wifi back on and buying the 72 hour package that I've read is available at the dock for $15. Then my phone can text, email, facebook, facetime etc., but all through wifi and I won't get any roaming or data charges. Of course I will be limited to where I can use it, but that's ok with me. (I have an iPhone 4s)

I've tested this at home.. (turning it on airplane mode and then turning wifi back on) I wasn't able to receive phone calls, but I was able to text etc.

*228 is to update your roaming capabilities to the closest towers. You don't need to do it on an iPhone - I'm not sure about the Lucid.

*228 is to update your roaming capabilities to the closest towers. You don't need to do it on an iPhone - I'm not sure about the Lucid.

I just talked to a Verizon rep two days ago. He told me anytime I get out of my home location, I need to do *228 to update towers.

But I guess since Bermuda doesn't have any Verison towers...no need to do it there!

I have an iPhone 4s. I talked to a Verizon rep a couple days ago. He told me anytime I leave my home area, I need to *228 to update towers in new area.

But I guess since Bermuda doesn't have any Verizona towers...no need to do it.

I don't know about iphones but with androids make sure you are in CDMA mode. I have never had an issue with cell coverage on the island,even think its better than here at home. The price to use your phone for calls is steep so if you don't HAVE to use it don't. One sent text is 25 or 50 cents (don't remember anyone feel free to correct me) one received text is 5 cents even if you don't open it to read it.

Just bought the latest Ipad and I love it. I heard that Verizon has a cruise ship data plan. Anyone familar with the particulars? Thanks in advance.

Don't know about Verizon data plans for iPads, but if they have any you would be roaming. That is usually not economical. Your best bet will likely be purchasing cruise ship WiFi for Internet while at sea and the WiFi package being sold on Bermuda to use while docked.

Archived