Invergordon to Inverness--Taxi?

I've read somewhere here that it's very do-able to take a taxi from the ship to Inverness. Celebrity wants about $32/pp for a roundtrip transfer. Assuming a minimum of two people, is a taxi going to be less expensive or similarly priced? Are taxis readily available at the port?

(I do know also about the train...so checking on a third option.)

I've read somewhere here that it's very do-able to take a taxi from the ship to Inverness. Celebrity wants about $32/pp for a roundtrip transfer. Assuming a minimum of two people, is a taxi going to be less expensive or similarly priced? Are taxis readily available at the port?

(I do know also about the train...so checking on a third option.)

Hi there,

We just got home from a British Isles cruise. In Invergordon, we took the local bus into Inverness city center. The 25 or 25X leaves from High Street (about a 2 min walk from the ship with many locals to give you directions to get there) it was 11.50(pounds) each for a round trip ticket. We actually got on the 25 (the non express) and it took about an hour (the 25X would take about 40mins) but the non express took us past the schools and around town and through little neighborhoods. We were not in a major rush, so we enjoyed the scenic tour. I'm not sure what day of the week you're in, but you can check out the schedule here:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_38427_25%2025A%2025B%2025X%20X98%20Highland.pdf

It was very easy. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pam

I'm wanting to do a Jacobite tour that starts in Inverness but I'm trying to figure out how to get there, would the bus schedule coincide? Also wondering on price of a taxi and also can't seem to find out much about the train?

Pam, thanks for the bus info. Tell me about your trip BACK to the ship? How did the times work out and where did you pick it up in Inverness for the return?

Hi,

Super easy all around. I see you're looking at the Jacobite Tour... that's what we did. We booked the Jacobite Sensation tour direct through their website. In summary, it was awesome! and I highly recommend it and them! Our tour guide was WONDERFUL! I was nervous about timing because we needed to be in Inverness at 10:15 to meet the bus for the tour. So I panicked when we were docking slightly later than originally noted on our itinerary, and I forced my husband to stand at the gangway until the Captain announced that we were cleared... we were the 7th people off the ship that day. Long story short, we weren't rushed at all and my concern was unwarranted.

So, we docked at 8, stood in line at the gangway, were off the boat by 8:15. As I mentioned the bus station is on high street, about a 2-3min walk from the ship. We planned on getting the 25X bus at 9:09, into Inverness but instead took the 25 at 8:26. Either would have made 10:15 easily. We paid directly with the bus driver, and it was a double decker bus and had lots of room.

The bus arrived directly at the Inverness Bus Station, where Jacobite has a check-in desk inside. We got our tickets and were told that the Jacobite bus would arrive, directly to the coach station (to Stance 1) at 10:05. At this point it was around 9:45 or so. The Jacobite coach was prompt and as I mentioned, Allison our tour guide/driver was fantastic.

After our tour was complete, Allison dropped us off in the center of town (not the bus station) to wander ( I don't recall exactly what time this was, but I think it was just before 2PM) We wandered around Inverness (it's beautiful there), saw the churches and the castle and did some shopping and general roaming. We then walked back to the Bus Station and caught the 25X bus at 15:26 back to Invergordon High Street (it was the last stop on the bus). We originally planned to take the 16:26 instead and felt comfortable with that amount of time, but decided we had seen everything we wanted to, so we headed out early. We were back in Invergordon at 16:05, most people went directly back to the ship, but we wandered Invergordon a bit. We were back on the ship by 5PM, I think we were asked to be back by 5:30 for a 6PM sail. We didn't feel rushed at all, at any point in the day. And the people at the bus station in Inverness were very helpful if you're feeling confused while there.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pam

Pam, thank you so much for going in advance and working out all of the details for us. What a very helpful diary of information. Sensation is the tour we've booked with Jacobite, too. They get great reviews all around and I've found them to be super responsive with stupid questions.

I'm printing off your details and will follow them to the letter in August when we sail.

Thanks!

Pam, thank you so much for going in advance and working out all of the details for us. What a very helpful diary of information. Sensation is the tour we've booked with Jacobite, too. They get great reviews all around and I've found them to be super responsive with stupid questions.

I'm printing off your details and will follow them to the letter in August when we sail.

Thanks!

You're very welcome! I'm glad I can help... the information I've found on CC is invaluable and I'm happy to add to it where I can. We just completed a cruise of the British Isles and I plan to write a summary of each port as I get time... so if you need any more information on transport or ports or whatnot, I should be posting sometime soon... certainly before August! ;)

Hi,

Super easy all around. I see you're looking at the Jacobite Tour... that's what we did. We booked the Jacobite Sensation tour direct through their website. In summary, it was awesome! and I highly recommend it and them! Our tour guide was WONDERFUL! I was nervous about timing because we needed to be in Inverness at 10:15 to meet the bus for the tour. So I panicked when we were docking slightly later than originally noted on our itinerary, and I forced my husband to stand at the gangway until the Captain announced that we were cleared... we were the 7th people off the ship that day. Long story short, we weren't rushed at all and my concern was unwarranted.

So, we docked at 8, stood in line at the gangway, were off the boat by 8:15. As I mentioned the bus station is on high street, about a 2-3min walk from the ship. We planned on getting the 25X bus at 9:09, into Inverness but instead took the 25 at 8:26. Either would have made 10:15 easily. We paid directly with the bus driver, and it was a double decker bus and had lots of room.

The bus arrived directly at the Inverness Bus Station, where Jacobite has a check-in desk inside. We got our tickets and were told that the Jacobite bus would arrive, directly to the coach station (to Stance 1) at 10:05. At this point it was around 9:45 or so. The Jacobite coach was prompt and as I mentioned, Allison our tour guide/driver was fantastic.

After our tour was complete, Allison dropped us off in the center of town (not the bus station) to wander ( I don't recall exactly what time this was, but I think it was just before 2PM) We wandered around Inverness (it's beautiful there), saw the churches and the castle and did some shopping and general roaming. We then walked back to the Bus Station and caught the 25X bus at 15:26 back to Invergordon High Street (it was the last stop on the bus). We originally planned to take the 16:26 instead and felt comfortable with that amount of time, but decided we had seen everything we wanted to, so we headed out early. We were back in Invergordon at 16:05, most people went directly back to the ship, but we wandered Invergordon a bit. We were back on the ship by 5PM, I think we were asked to be back by 5:30 for a 6PM sail. We didn't feel rushed at all, at any point in the day. And the people at the bus station in Inverness were very helpful if you're feeling confused while there.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pam

Thanks so much for this posting.

At the Jacobite check in desk can you purchase your Sensation tickets there?

Do you know if the bus there to Inverness and the Jacobite bus can accomadate a fold up wheelchair? The wheelchair person can climb a few steps.

Thanks so much for this posting.

At the Jacobite check in desk can you purchase your Sensation tickets there?

Do you know if the bus there to Inverness and the Jacobite bus can accomadate a fold up wheelchair? The wheelchair person can climb a few steps.

I'm honestly not sure if you can purchase at the desk. I'd personally suggest pre-purchasing; our tour was sold out before we got there, so it's probably in your best interest to pre-book; it was the same price. But, I'm sure if you emailed them they'd give you a more definitive answer.

Regarding the wheelchair, I'd say definitely for the Invergordon/Inverness bus since it's the local bus. I think there was one or two steps to get on and then plenty of room (it was a typical commuter style bus). As for the Jacobite bus, it was smaller, but I'm sure they could accommodate you (there may have been under bus storage as well). Again, they're very quick with email replies, and I'm certain they'd give you a better answer, so you're not guessing.

Sorry to bother again, but I was just wondering about the order of the tour? Was it coach tour, boat tour then castle? Was there a lunch stop? Thanks again. (I'm also looking at the Sensation)

No bother at all, the Sensation was a pickup in Inverness, a bus tour through Inverness/surrounding area to the Clansman Inn to pick up the boat for the cruise down the Loch Ness. Then a 30min cruise on the Loch, where you arrive to the castle by water (awesome view!). We had a little over an hour at the castle, then met back up with the bus to continue to the Loch Ness Exhibition Center, where we had an hour to tour there and then a bus ride back in to Inverness. There was no set stop for lunch, but there is a small cafe at the Castle if you wanted to make it a quick lunch (I'm not sure what they had, but my guess is small pastries or sandwiches. We didn't get to look because we were busy tasting whisky samples ;)). I'd suggest just bringing a snack with you to maximize your time. We got back to Inverness around 2 and could've eaten there if we wanted.

If I may chime in on nanatink's questions:

1. The people at Jacobite strongly encouraged me to book my tour now, since they frequently sell out in advance when cruise ships are in port nearby.

2. The Jacobite website discusses wheelchairs in their FAQs: "If you need wheelchair access. the ideal tour for you is the Reflection cruise on the Jacobite Queen. This tour has good access for wheelchair users but please note that to reach the toilet or snack bar involves some fairly steep steps. Cruises from the Clansman harbour are not suitable for wheelchair access. There are a number of steps and a steep hill with uneven ground leading to the cruise departure point and then another steep hill when you disembark at Urquhart Castle."

I found the people at Jacobite to be VERY helpful with the most basic of questions, so you should go to the website, have a look around, then send them a note via their inquiry system if you still have questions.

If I may chime in on nanatink's questions:

1. The people at Jacobite strongly encouraged me to book my tour now, since they frequently sell out in advance when cruise ships are in port nearby.

2. The Jacobite website discusses wheelchairs in their FAQs: "If you need wheelchair access. the ideal tour for you is the Reflection cruise on the Jacobite Queen. This tour has good access for wheelchair users but please note that to reach the toilet or snack bar involves some fairly steep steps. Cruises from the Clansman harbour are not suitable for wheelchair access. There are a number of steps and a steep hill with uneven ground leading to the cruise departure point and then another steep hill when you disembark at Urquhart Castle."

I found the people at Jacobite to be VERY helpful with the most basic of questions, so you should go to the website, have a look around, then send them a note via their inquiry system if you still have questions.

Thanks so much for all who have helped with your answers.

We just returned. A taxi from Invergordon to Inverness is about £40 each way. The train is inexpensive and is about a 20 minute walk from the ship, but does not run frequently during some times of the day. We checked and there was a train at 2:45PM, and then the next one was at 5:15PM arriving in Invergordon at 6:05, so we would have had the choice of leaving early or cutting it too close for comfort. So check the train schedule to see if it works for you.

We just returned from a Princess Cruise around the British Isles. We used the local bus in Invergorden to Inverness. We had contacted the tourism office and the bus company and were assured with the understanding that there would be extra local buses running when the cruise ship docked.

We had no problem getting to Inverness on time. The bus stop was just a few minutes' walk from the cruise terminal and easy to find. We bought return tickets from an agent who was there helping everyone get on the bus. The problem was on the return trip. There were smaller capacity buses and no extra buses in the afternoon. We queued for over an hour and a half in the rain, because the express bus filled to capacity with not enough seats for those of us in the queue. We then waited for the next one, which was not the express bus, many stops, and over an hour to get back. So, I will just add a caution to those who plan to do this to start queuing early on the return or try to find another couple to share a taxi if the queue looks too long.

Don't mean to sound like a complainer, but the Jacobite Sensation tour was a little bit of a disappointment for us. We had booked the Jacobite Sensation tour months in advance but the tour was oversold so we were not able to get on the coach at the pickup point. The company eventually provided a van to pick us up, but the driver apologized saying she could not give us the usual tour. We missed the instructions and the information about how the tour would progress and where to find the return coach. We eventually figured things out on our own, but it was not ideal. The boat and the castle were fun, but very, very crowded, of course. The exhibition was so crowded that we could not all fit in the rooms where you stand to watch the presentations. Just not the day we thought we would be having.

Chloe, were there multiple ships in port at Invergordon, or was the crowding you experienced a result of just your ship?

As far as I know, we were the only ship in port that day. It was the Caribbean Princess, about 3100 passengers.

Archived