Tender ports

Alibobs

I have not yet had the experience of a tender port on my travels - Would I be right in assuming people on ship's tours take precedence when leaving the ship?

We will be stopping in Andalsnes on our forthcoming voyage. We would like to take a trip on the Rauma railway. (The ship does do a tour which incorporates this but also involves a coach trip.......my DH is terribly coach sick so we would prefer to avoid this)

My concern is the number of trains each day as limited and that we may not be off the boat in time to get the 9.27 train if we have to wait to tender.

(Our other option is to stay aboard and just enjoy an empty ship which has it's own merits!)

Yes, passengers on ship sponsored tours have boarding priority for the tenders. The ship will also issue "Tender Tickets" on a first-come, first served basis for those wanting to go ashore independently. They will be called as tender space becomes available. If you get to the tender desk early you may get off early. Once the initial rush is over no tickets are needed, one just shows up in one of the tender lounges.

Depending on when the ship anchors and how soon local authorities will allow anyone off, 9:27 may be cutting it close.

I have not yet had the experience of a tender port on my travels - Would I be right in assuming people on ship's tours take precedence when leaving the ship?

We will be stopping in Andalsnes on our forthcoming voyage. We would like to take a trip on the Rauma railway. (The ship does do a tour which incorporates this but also involves a coach trip.......my DH is terribly coach sick so we would prefer to avoid this)

My concern is the number of trains each day as limited and that we may not be off the boat in time to get the 9.27 train if we have to wait to tender.

(Our other option is to stay aboard and just enjoy an empty ship which has it's own merits!)

Tours do take precedence but they often use 4 or 5 tenders if allowed by the port authority so they go pretty quickly. Important factors will be how far the tender trip is plus what time you arrive in the port and how far away the train is!

On one ship (I think Princess line) I discovered that people in suites had precedence in the tenders. One person I spoke to said that she could just turn up to any tender without having to queue or wait in the lounge with the rest of us. I wondered if they routinely left a few unfilled places on a tender to fit in those from suites who would just wander along as the whim took them.

I don't know if Cunard has a similar policy for Grills cruisers.

To paraphrase a line from a notable movie regarding certain ocean liner, "Will the tenders be loaded according to class?":eek:

"Will the tenders be classified according to load?"

"Will the classes be loaded according to tenderness?"

"Will the classes be tendered according to load?"

"Will the loads be classified according to tenderness?"

"Will the loads be tendered according to class?"

I'm in favor of loading and classifying by tenderness.

"Will the tenders be classified according to load?"

"Will the classes be loaded according to tenderness?"

"Will the classes be tendered according to load?"

"Will the loads be classified according to tenderness?"

"Will the loads be tendered according to class?"

I'm in favor of loading and classifying by tenderness.

Good one!

Who gets the job of poking each cruiser to see how tender they are?

On one ship (I think Princess line) I discovered that people in suites had precedence in the tenders. One person I spoke to said that she could just turn up to any tender without having to queue or wait in the lounge with the rest of us. I wondered if they routinely left a few unfilled places on a tender to fit in those from suites who would just wander along as the whim took them.

I don't know if Cunard has a similar policy for Grills cruisers.

No, they havn't. There is a queue for each exit to tenders that cannot be passed except by using the elevator for the disabled. I have never been offered this (Q5). Tours leave on a scheduled system, the first mayority of individuals leave on a ticket system.

Archived