OCD Planner's Live ALASKA Photo Trip Report 16 day Cruise Tour aboard Radiance

I don't know how many hours it took you to write your review but I've been reading it for days and just finished. Your review is the best I have read on CC to date and reading it as well as Sandy's blog tells me I need to actually finish my reviews. I went to the Caribbean in May and wrote my review and never posted it. I think I did post a few things about my Mediterranean cruise but nothing elaborate. BTW, on our cruise a few years ago, we flew from San Francisco to Paris, spent a few days in Paris, took the night train to Barcelona, spent a few days in Barcelona and then boarded the ship in Barcelona. Our itinerary included Cannes/Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice, and Dubrovnik. We used RomeInLimodotcom in Florence, Rome and Naples and they were fantastic. You also get a discount if you use them for multiple cities. I prepurchased all my tickets, and it came in handy, especially for the Vatican. You will want a private tour guide in the Vatican. I did all the planning for 6 of us and did actually go on several tours in Barcelona with someone I had met on CC, so sometimes there were 8 of us on our tours. I will at some point go back to Italy and spend a month there, I loved it. You will have fun on your cruise - have fun planning and thanks again for the wealth of information you provided on Alaska. I definitely have a head start for my May cruise even if it's on another cruiseline.

Margaret,

Thanks so much for taking time to read & post. It was indeed time consuming to post the review, pictures & links but I loved doing it.

Our European group is now up to 15! I must get started planning :) Thanks for all the information that you provided in your post about Europe.

Another vote of thanks from a latecomer to the party! There was obviously so much time and effort put into your review! I have had a couple of days sick at home, and found your review when someone commented on it on the Celebrity boards. So it has helped me feel better and fill in time. I am so glad you wrote it and I loved your photos!

I am a big planner as well, and my husband was only just laughing at me and my folder full of Alaska information the other night! I am planning our Alaska adventure for next year, and almost have it fully booked! We only just got back from 3 weeks in Africa, and our Alaska adventure was well under way even while I was planning Africa! I have read so many Alaskan travel guides, websites, and of course cruise critic and trip advisor are invaluable sources of information.

We will be sailing on Radiance for Christmas this year, to the South Pacific out of Sydney, and your photos make me feel like I already know the ship!

I hope you have fun on your Med trip, that was our first ever cruise! We lived in Europe for 3 years, and I knew nothing about cruising. We went on our first cruise 'blind', I had not discovered cruise critic before we left. I actually think it made the cruise even more magical, everything was a brand new discovery and every day was a surprise. We did book all of our excursions through the ship that time!

Anyway, thanks again and have fun on your next cruise! Yvette

Another vote of thanks from a latecomer to the party! There was obviously so much time and effort put into your review! I have had a couple of days sick at home, and found your review when someone commented on it on the Celebrity boards. So it has helped me feel better and fill in time. I am so glad you wrote it and I loved your photos!

I am a big planner as well, and my husband was only just laughing at me and my folder full of Alaska information the other night! I am planning our Alaska adventure for next year, and almost have it fully booked! We only just got back from 3 weeks in Africa, and our Alaska adventure was well under way even while I was planning Africa! I have read so many Alaskan travel guides, websites, and of course cruise critic and trip advisor are invaluable sources of information.

We will be sailing on Radiance for Christmas this year, to the South Pacific out of Sydney, and your photos make me feel like I already know the ship!

I hope you have fun on your Med trip, that was our first ever cruise! We lived in Europe for 3 years, and I knew nothing about cruising. We went on our first cruise 'blind', I had not discovered cruise critic before we left. I actually think it made the cruise even more magical, everything was a brand new discovery and every day was a surprise. We did book all of our excursions through the ship that time!

Anyway, thanks again and have fun on your next cruise! Yvette

Yvette,

Hope you're feeling better by now and that you could find some entertainment for your sick days reading my review. You will love your upcoming trip on Radiance, she is a beautiful and well layed out ship.

You are very smart planning ahead for Alaska and booking excursions and such as early as possible. Alaska is absolutely breathtaking... you will have an awesome trip!

Happy Sails!

We are just finalizing our Aug 2014 Alaska Cruse Tour and the information you posted was just what I needed to answer the many questions, especially the land portion where little or no information was available. It helped clarify my planning and confidence before paying the down payment tomorrow. We will be doing cruise first and land portion second (as that is our preference.)

You pictures are Awesome! :)

Thanks for all the details, menu prices, etc. It is a big help.

SK Johnson

Edited by SKJSKJ

Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your OCD Trip planning and experiences with us. I just finished reading the Trip Report. I will be traveling next year in August on the Celebrity Millennium (thanks to CC, I was able to book the outer Sweet 16 double size balcony room) headed to the same ports you went to only headed Northbound with our interior Alaska portion at the end of the trip. This blog will come in handy as I plan. I am traveling solo but part of a larger group put together by a friend who owns a Travel Agency and will be sailing with many friends. I hope I can utilize some of the money saving ideas if I can get someone who shares some of the same interest to split the cost of the Tour Savers or Northern Lights book to save on excursions.

I plan on trying out my Carry-on size suitcase plan with my five night Bahamas cruise in October with a pre and post cruise Florida vacation for a total of two weeks. I am a major over packer and usually have more clothes than I need with me, so I figure this will be a good test for Alaska.

We are just finalizing our Aug 2014 Alaska Cruse Tour and the information you posted was just what I needed to answer the many questions, especially the land portion where little or no information was available. It helped clarify my planning and confidence before paying the down payment tomorrow. We will be doing cruise first and land portion second (as that is our preference.)

You pictures are Awesome! :)

Thanks for all the details, menu prices, etc. It is a big help.

SK Johnson

SK,

Appreciate your compliments regarding my pictures and report. Thanks so much for taking time to read and post. Have fun planning over the next year... it will be here nd gone before you know it!

Happy Planning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your OCD Trip planning and experiences with us. I just finished reading the Trip Report. I will be traveling next year in August on the Celebrity Millennium (thanks to CC, I was able to book the outer Sweet 16 double size balcony room) headed to the same ports you went to only headed Northbound with our interior Alaska portion at the end of the trip. This blog will come in handy as I plan. I am traveling solo but part of a larger group put together by a friend who owns a Travel Agency and will be sailing with many friends. I hope I can utilize some of the money saving ideas if I can get someone who shares some of the same interest to split the cost of the Tour Savers or Northern Lights book to save on excursions.

I plan on trying out my Carry-on size suitcase plan with my five night Bahamas cruise in October with a pre and post cruise Florida vacation for a total of two weeks. I am a major over packer and usually have more clothes than I need with me, so I figure this will be a good test for Alaska.

tlcoke,

Sounds like a great trip with a great group of friends, surely one of them will want to save some money with the tour books.

Good lucky with your carry-on trial, i think if you can do it one time you will convince yourself that its the only way to travel!

Thanks for taking time to red my report and comment on it.

Happy Sails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cindy, my family and I had a fantastic land tour and cruise. Your review and tips put me at ease. Because I did all planning prior to the trip, I was able to relax(but only after making sure everyone was on time for excursions). I would definitely do land tour 13A again. Thank you again, Laura

Cindy, my family and I had a fantastic land tour and cruise. Your review and tips put me at ease. Because I did all planning prior to the trip, I was able to relax(but only after making sure everyone was on time for excursions). I would definitely do land tour 13A again. Thank you again, Laura

Laura, I'm so glad to hear that my report helped you make the best of your trip. I agree, I would also do tour 13 again.

Now, its your turn to post your report & lets hear how yours was different than mine. I need to see some more pictures!

As all the others have said, I have greatly enjoyed your review. My sister and I will be taking the Radiance on the August 9 sailing out of Vancouver.

This is so much fun!

I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into your review.

It was very much worth it!

Thanks !!!

:)

As all the others have said, I have greatly enjoyed your review. My sister and I will be taking the Radiance on the August 9 sailing out of Vancouver.

This is so much fun!

I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into your review.

It was very much worth it!

Thanks !!!

:)

Thanks so much for reading & commenting. You & your sister are going.to be amazed at the scenery in Alaska.

Have a great cruise & happy sails!

Thanks so much for reading & commenting. You & your sister are going.to be amazed at the scenery in Alaska.

Have a great cruise & happy sails!

I did have one question for you, you offhandedly mentioned that you did not buy any internet packages. Are any of the packages on offer unlimited wireless? I am sort of addicted...:confused:

I did have one question for you, you offhandedly mentioned that you did not buy any internet packages. Are any of the packages on offer unlimited wireless? I am sort of addicted...:confused:

Radiance did not offer an unlimited package on our cruise. I'm pretty addicted too but we just used our cell phones in port when we were on the ship I don't even think we even cashed in our free C & A internet coupons this time on the ship.

Radiance did not offer an unlimited package on our cruise. I'm pretty addicted too but we just used our cell phones in port when we were on the ship I don't even think we even cashed in our free C & A internet coupons this time on the ship.

Just to add to Cindy's comment, I kept and scanned the Internet info from our June Radiance cruise. It is the first two pages at THIS LINK.

As Cindy confirmed, no unlimited package. My understanding is that the only RC ships that offer unlimited are Allure (for sure) and Oasis (some reports say yes).

Just wanted to update what I posted earlier in my review regarding Marriott Rewards Points for Anchorage. During our stay we were told by Marriott guest services that we could add our rewards number to our room and we would receive points for the stay.

It's been about 6 weeks now and our points still haven't shown up. I placed a call to the hotel direct yesterday and was informed that we were mis-informed by hotel staff.

You will NOT receive points for your stay since it is booked in a group booking thru RCU. I just wanted to put this out there so no one thinks I purposely gave incorrect information.

What a wealth of information!! Thank you for your review and OCDness! I'm looking at booking a cruise for next summer, but am now seriously considering waiting until 2015, just so I can plan properly.

Do you know when in March the dates for 2015 will be posted? Where do I go to find that information?

Thank you!!

I believe it is early to mid March when the Alaska itineraries are released. After the first of the year they usually announce the release schedule for each itinerary such as Caribbean, Europe, Alaska, etc.

Someone usually posts it in the forum and it will stay at the top for a while since everyone comments about what they are waiting on.

What a wealth of information!! Thank you for your review and OCDness! I'm looking at booking a cruise for next summer, but am now seriously considering waiting until 2015, just so I can plan properly.

Do you know when in March the dates for 2015 will be posted? Where do I go to find that information?

Thank you!!

We booked on board, they are filling up quick, contact Royal Caribbean, they can tell you.

We booked on board, they are filling up quick, contact Royal Caribbean, they can tell you.

I believe that you can only book thru the 2014 season right now. So if you are looking for next summer, then yes, definitely book now!

If you are looking for 2015 you'll have to wait until next March 2014 until the schedules come out.

I believe that you can only book thru the 2014 season right now. So if you are looking for next summer, then yes, definitely book now!

If you are looking for 2015 you'll have to wait until next March 2014 until the schedules come out.

I read all your blogs on Alaska, really helped. Our trip on the train and cruise were fantastic! Thank you for all your information you posted.

I read all your blogs on Alaska, really helped. Our trip on the train and cruise were fantastic! Thank you for all your information you posted.

Awesome! Glad to hear that it helped with your trip. Wasn't the train wonderful? Would love to read a review of your trip too.

Loved the train and we had great weather. Saw a bear, moose and caribou.

I did post a small review.

I'll have to look for your review. Glad you were able to see some wildlife as an added bonus to beautiful scenery!