Touring with people from other ships

Has anyone joined in with people you don't know from a different ship for tours, having arranged it in advance through boards like these? How did it work out FBOW, were the tour operators helpful, and any suggestions?

Has anyone joined in with people you don't know from a different ship for tours, having arranged it in advance through boards like these? How did it work out FBOW, were the tour operators helpful, and any suggestions?
If you're looking for poeple to tour with either on your own ship or another ship that will be in port that day, you need to do that over on the roll call board for that sailing. Find whichever cruise line roll call board you need and search for the sailing you want. You can't use the ports of call board to organize private tours. I hope that helps.

I can't see wading through 18,483 threads and then the itineraries of each ship within date and place range to see if someone is going to be in a particular port on a certain day. It seems the port of call boards are where people from different ships are already exchanging information--isn't that the purpose? It seems that as long as they made the actual arrangements off the boards, the initial contact here makes sense. Is there some kind of rule in effect on this?

let me rephrase that to be legal:

Has anyone joined in with people you don't know from a different ship for tours? How did it work out FBOW, were the tour operators helpful, and any suggestions on how to meet up with strangers in a strange land?

I can't see wading through 18,483 threads and then the itineraries of each ship within date and place range to see if someone is going to be in a particular port on a certain day. It seems the port of call boards are where people from different ships are already exchanging information--isn't that the purpose? It seems that as long as they made the actual arrangements off the boards, the initial contact here makes sense. Is there some kind of rule in effect on this?
Yes. You can't use this board to hook up with other people to form tours. Here's the guideline for that: Organizing Private Tours

I think it would be problematic in StPb because the ships don't necessarily dock in the same part of town and the one near us used a different passport control and parking area for the buses and vans. So I think you would waste valuable time dealing with the logistics of trying to pick up people you don't know in a different location, when both parties are dealing with a different ships with different clearance and passport control.

It might work but it might also lead to major headaches.

CMI

CMI...actually I know of people who've done it...usually the companies keep eyes out for people who want to expand their group and then will link them up to others from other ships...It can be done, but I agree it would seem more confusing than it would be worth...

It might work but it might also lead to major headaches.

CMI

Yes, like what happens if your friend's ship has to change itinerary?

Too much of a possible mess to deal with IMO!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back--I would trust the guide company to coordinate a meeting, but there are jsut too many variables that could go wrong--a delayed ship or even slow disembarking would be a waste b/c you are truly on a meter there; you want to make every minute count. ALso your intended companions might not show up; people change their minds and they haven't put down a deposit, or may have a medical problem and not be able to go. You'd be standing around waiting. If they are from another ship you won't be able to give them a piece of your mind!

RO put me in touch with someone on my ship and it worked great. I had a panic, though, when I couldn't find them on board and thought they weren't listed at all (turns out it was my bad, I had misspelled their name) and expected to have to shell out full freight, but they were there, actually waiting for us and maybe wondering the same thing?

Archived