Crazy Le Bistro experience

LADinCT

. . . There were two tables of 6 on the banquettes, loud & drunk, leaning over the sides to talk & yell to each other & swearing. :. . . .

I actually don't care about how people are dressed, particularly on a cruise line that touts its "freestyle" concept. But I have to say that I have just about had it, not only on cruise ships, but everywhere, with the fact that it has somehow become acceptable to use foul and offensive langauge in public. I will admit that I am no stranger to using words of which my mother would not approve -- in private, or with others whom I know will not be offended. But these days its as if by walking out in public you have somehow consented to be assaulted by whatever foul and filthy language anyone within earshot wants to use.

I actually had a fight in a New York parking garage a couple of weeks ago with a guy who was mad at the attendant for whatever reason and was shouting, at the top of his lungs, obscenities that would make a sailor blush. I finally had had enough, and told him that I didn't appreciate being subjected to that kind of langauge. He looked at me, dumbfounded and said "Lady, I wasn't even talking to you." I looked back even more dumbfounded and said "I'm standing right next to you. What? Did you think if your face is pointed the other way I can't hear you?" he wasn't happy, kept yelling at the attendant, but at least he did omit some of the worst obscenities he'd been using (and yes, I get that things were MUCH worse for the attendant than they were for us bystanders).

Trust me, I'm really not a prude, and I do undertand that when you go out into the world, you can't go in a little bubble; feelings and sensibilities are going to get bruised. But when did we collectively agree to abandon all sense of decorum, decency and consideration for the feelings of others around us? There use to be SOME rules for public conduct (and I'm NOT elderly -- I'm talking about maybe a decade or two ago). Where did they go? And can we bring them back by just calling people out on their probably unthinking choice of words? I'd like to think so

If I had requested a table change and it couldn't happen I would ask the maitre'd to get me another table at Cagney's or wherever and if that doesn't work request for the Hotel Mgr. to come to see you asap. Trust me this will get action!

We were in a very nice, expensive restaurant in Las Vegas when the same thing happened. There was a group of younger guys there for a bachelor party. They were very drunk, swearing, and eating steak with their hands. The manager or assistant manager was a young guy. This guy expertly handled this table. He came to the table asking who was the groom and where they were from. He must have talked to them for ten minutes. Then he asked them to do him a favor and keep it down. By then he was their buddy. If they started acting up again, he would go talk to them at the table again. I thought the situation was brilliantly handled.

I would hope the cruise ship has someone who can diffuse the situation.

If it could not be fixed to my satisfaction, I would tell the Manager we are leaving to dine elsewhere and do not expect to be charged or at least adjust the bill accordingly. Why should a few losers ruin it for everyone?

We were in a very nice, expensive restaurant in Las Vegas when the same thing happened. There was a group of younger guys there for a bachelor party. They were very drunk, swearing, and eating steak with their hands. The manager or assistant manager was a young guy. This guy expertly handled this table. He came to the table asking who was the groom and where they were from. He must have talked to them for ten minutes. Then he asked them to do him a favor and keep it down. By then he was their buddy. If they started acting up again, he would go talk to them at the table again. I thought the situation was brilliantly handled.

I would hope the cruise ship has someone who can diffuse the situation.

I would expect NCL's Brian Walters or Glaspole Facey would diffuse any unpleasant situation with finesse. I am sure there are others but these two are my heroes.

Archived