Nikon coolpix 7900

Jerrudy

I'm thinking of purchasing this camera, when I can find someone with it in stock. So far, I haven't had much luck. Can anyone advise me if this is a wise choice? Does anyone own this model? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have it, but have had nothing but Nikons for a long time. In case this helps:

Samples:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/page10.asp

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/nikon7900_samples.html

Here's a photo sharing site, that allows users to search by the camera used. This way you can check out real world photos with the 7900:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/coolpix_7900

Are you shooting 8x10 or smaller. If that's the case, you might be happy with the Nikon 5900.

Most important.. Get it soon so you can start having fun!

• 2 weeks later...

About a month ago my father and I both bought the coolpix 5600 (which is similiar to the 7900...it just has a couple of more features) and we both really like it. I was almost going to get the 7900 but i figured I am not that big on doing fancy things with the camera so I didn't need it.

We have the Coolpix 990 and love it. The only drawback was it didn't have a large enough zoom for our Alaska cruise. So, we went to the local camera store and found out that the cost of a larger zoom and an adapter ring for the Coolpix would cost just as much as a new camera with a larger zoom. We explored many options and purchased the Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 with 12X Optical Zoom & 4X Digital Zoom. The camera also has an anti-shake feature and rapid AF system. We really loved the pictures that it took on our Alaska trip and wasn't sorry one bit we made the additional camera purchase. When deciding on a camera, make sure the zoom feature will suffice for what you want to take pictures of.

• 1 month later...

I just recently purchased a new Nikon Coolpix S1, for our October cruise, and at first i was not sure, the dealer told me this camera will suffice for all of our camera needs, i was looking too at the 7900's, but like he said unless your planning to do poster type picture, this little handy one is a wonder of camera, and truly after using it over and over for the last 2 weeks, man was he ever right, 2.5'' screen, quality picture, no red eye, all can of scene to choose from, with the 512 card that i purchased with it, i can go in to the movie mode with nice clear sound for about 28 consecutive minutes depending on the battery life, i used the video for over 6 minutes, beautiful result, you can take a detail picture of a picture already taken, you can get a better focus from a picture already taken, and to top it off there is also an underwater scene that you can choose if you opt for the waterproof case WP-CP5. Truly is the best little digital camera i ever bought :)

I got a great deal on this at Amazon.com. It shipped (free) in 3 days. Best you can getfor the money. And as far as the zoom goes remember that a 7 megapixel camera with a 3X zoom like the 7900 will give you a 6x zoom with the use of the digital zoom and you still have a 3.5 megapixel photo.

Buy smart, buy Nikon.

Cruzmann

I've been doing a lot of research and I really like the coolpix 7900. The S1 also looked good, and is much smaller, but I've seen examples of pictures from the S1 and there's a bit of distortion in the pictures. Now, it all depends on what size you want your photos and how small you want your camera, but the 7900 seems to be a lot of camera for a reasonable price. By the way, the 7900 also has an underwater scene setting and an underwater housing can be purchased as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived