island vs. sapphire

sjmbruce

hi!

it looks like the sapphire has an international café while the island does not. what other differences are there?

if you had to chose, which ship would you pick?

does the sapphire have a covered/indoor pool like the island?

thanks!

While the international cafe has great food...the Island is more elegant. I'm not fond of the main dining room configuration on the Sapphire and Diamond. There are four small dining rooms that are claustrophobic to me, and each dining room has a themed menu. I personally would go with the Island. Enjoy your cruise.

The Island. I love the Sapphire and have sailed on her many times plus she's been renovated, but I'd still pick the Island. She's being renovated in October 2014 but the renovations wouldn't sway me unless the ships were sister ships.

Both the Island and Sapphire have covered pool areas but are very different ship designs. On the Island, the buffet is at the front of the ship with gorgeous views. No Skywalkers, however. The biggest reason for choosing the Island is the passenger space ratio. She's longer but narrower than the Sapphire but had almost a third fewer passengers. She also has public decks both forward and aft for great viewing, particularly if you're on a cruise with scenic viewing.

While the international cafe has great food...the Island is more elegant. I'm not fond of the main dining room configuration on the Sapphire and Diamond. There are four small dining rooms that are claustrophobic to me, and each dining room has a themed menu. I personally would go with the Island. Enjoy your cruise.

Agree completely. Good points. The Island (and her sister the Coral) are my favorite ships.

I respectfully disagree. We were on the Sapphire last year for 28 days, LA, Hawaii, Tahiti back to LA. Anytime dining, never ever waited for a table, loved the 4 dining rooms. The HC has been renovated, lots more rooms to move around, beautiful dessert area just across from food stations but in its own area. All the public areas did not seem crowded at all and the configuration in the piazza works much better for traffic flow as the stairs meet in the middle giving much better place to view all the activities taking place there. Alfredo's pizza was wonderful, a new freebie to enjoy. I know everyone has their preferences, but I had to say something about our favorite lady, the Sapphire! We are on a 14 day on here mid July in Alaska, round trip Vancouver and can't wait. Not a bad choice to be made, all are wonderful.

I loved the Island and would sail on her in an instant! I thought I would miss not having an IC but I didn't miss it at all. The Lido pool on the Island and the big library are wonderful!

You cannot go wrong with either. I've just been on the Sapphire and did not mind the smaller anytime dining rooms. Exact same menu in all of them, except for one signature dish. The Sapphire has a covered pool area, the "conservatory". The ship is bigger than the Coral, but you never feel there are 2,675 passengers. Since the IC is one of my favourite hangouts, I have to make mention of the fantastic Tiramisu in a glass!! Oh my!! Not available every day though, so get yours as soon as you get on board! If you see a short fat guy with one in each hand, come say hello to me...;) Phil

Archived