Guys Burgers - is it really only the way Guy wants it?

wmjrdn4ever

As someone else said........really temper your expectations...the burgers are cooked in mass and are rarely piping hot. They use 80/20 beef but then overcook them and they are generally dry.

I like the new toppings bar, but other than that I don't think they are any better than the old burgers were and I don't like that you can't also get a hotdog at the same station.

The fries on the other hand are much better than the old thin cut fries.

I can get much better burgers here in Tulsa at Claud's or Ron's or Goldies.

After sitting awhile they would take a burger stick it on the grill, toss some liquid on them while heating up.

Learned to ask for them to make it without mayo and a dry bun and take the onion ring and put it on the side of the plate. After that they kind of knew me and by the end of the cruise pretty much didnt have to ask.

I also hate mayo. I order the Plain Jane with no bun. They use mayo to grill the buns on top of what they put on the burger. I truly hate the stuff. :p Cut down on the fat and calories some as well, but still got the yummy burger taste (a splurge for me since I don't eat red meat that often.) Try the bbq sauce in the squeeze bottles at the toppings bar. It's yummy on the burgers.

Maybe for some of his speciality burgers.

But....not my experience - when you order the "plain" burger. Mine came with cheese and a toasted/grilled bun with no condiments at all. I took it to the condiment bar and added only what I wanted.

Can you explain this a little? There is no way to get a bun without the mayo?? So they basically slather the bun with the donkey sauce before they put the bun on the grill? Can you ask for a non-grilled bun??

I guess it doesn't really matter to me since I am not planning on being on a ship with Guy's, but I would still like clarification.

Maggie

Yes...there is! Just request the "plain" and you get the burger - with or without cheese - and bun. You can then add what YOU want from the condiment bar.

But....not my experience - when you order the "plain" burger. Mine came with cheese and a toasted/grilled bun with no condiments at all. I took it to the condiment bar and added only what I wanted.

Yes...there is! Just request the "plain" and you get the burger - with or without cheese - and bun. You can then add what YOU want from the condiment bar.

But I think you guys are missing the point of what the previous poster said. They said that Guy's uses the Donkey sauce WHEN THEY GRILL THE BUN. They slather it on the bun and then grill the bun. This is IN ADDITION to adding mayo to the burger as a condiment. At least that was my interpretation of what the poster said. That is what I wanted clarification on.

Do they use the donkey sauce to grill the bun or not??

Maggie

But I think you guys are missing the point of what the previous poster said. They said that Guy's uses the Donkey sauce WHEN THEY GRILL THE BUN. They slather it on the bun and then grill the bun. This is IN ADDITION to adding mayo to the burger as a condiment. At least that was my interpretation of what the poster said. That is what I wanted clarification on.

Maggie

And several of us have posted that the bun is plain. I think we would know if it was plain or not.

Believe who you want. I think I could taste donkey sauce if they put it on myself. I take off most of the bun anyway, just tastes like plain bread to me. I am not much of a bread eater.

In fact .. the buns I had on conquest didnt even taste toasted to me. They were cold and untoasted on what I ordered. I thought.. wonder why the cold buns?? with such a good burger. Maybe on some other ships they toasted the bun, but on conquest the two times I have been on it since guys added.. the bun was COLD and untoasted with the plain hamburgers.

My husband loved Guy's, he had several on our last cruise.

I had one, asked for it with no bun and just the cheese, then I loaded it up with carmelized onions and mushrooms. It was really delicious.

OP,When you place your order tell them how you want it, plain and simple ;)

Love Guy's burgers! We always tell them we are allergic to onions and not to put any on (not allergic just hate 'em!)

Guy's is the first place we head to once onboard! We really missed them on our Pride cruise!

Not donkey sauce on the bun, but they slather the bun in plain mayo before they toast it. It looks like butter once toasted, but it's actually mayo. I watched them do it then asked what they were toasting the buns with - sure enough, mayo. They would probably do one without toasting it, but the buns were pre-toasted as they assembled so I figured it was easier to ask for no bun (since i'm fine without the bread.)

The "Plain Jane" burger does not have mayo added to the burger as a topping, but is used to toast the bun.

Can you explain this a little? There is no way to get a bun without the mayo?? So they basically slather the bun with the donkey sauce before they put the bun on the grill? Can you ask for a non-grilled bun??

I guess it doesn't really matter to me since I am not planning on being on a ship with Guy's, but I would still like clarification.

Maggie

I always ask for my bun not grilled. It takes a moment longer, but I never have a problem getting it.

The wonderful thing about a cruise is try it... Throw it away if you don't like it!

I am in a minority. I tried the burger and fries. Thought both were horrible. Threw both away. Eating them was like eating grease. My DH tried one. Only one he bothered with on the ship as he did not like them

To us they just weren't the hype.

Not donkey sauce on the bun, but they slather the bun in plain mayo before they toast it. It looks like butter once toasted, but it's actually mayo. I watched them do it then asked what they were toasting the buns with - sure enough, mayo. They would probably do one without toasting it, but the buns were pre-toasted as they assembled so I figured it was easier to ask for no bun (since i'm fine without the bread.)

The "Plain Jane" burger does not have mayo added to the burger as a topping, but is used to toast the bun.

I find these posts so odd since I never got a toasted bun that I could tell. It was always cold and I wondered why they didnt toast them on conquest. I decided maybe it got the buns hard, so thats why they gave cold untoasted buns.

If my bun was toasted, it must not have been much, and never saw them toasting buns on conquest. I guess its possible they toasted them a little before they brought them out so thats why I never saw them toasting them and they were cold when served to me.

And several of us have posted that the bun is plain. I think we would know if it was plain or not.

Believe who you want. I think I could taste donkey sauce if they put it on myself. I take off most of the bun anyway, just tastes like plain bread to me. I am not much of a bread eater.

In fact .. the buns I had on conquest didnt even taste toasted to me. They were cold and untoasted on what I ordered. I thought.. wonder why the cold buns?? with such a good burger. Maybe on some other ships they toasted the bun, but on conquest the two times I have been on it since guys added.. the bun was COLD and untoasted with the plain hamburgers.

I think this was unnecessarily harsh. I wasn't doubting anyone. What I meant was that I think people were confusing my question. Both the people I quoted said you could ask for the burger with no mayo/donkey sauce as a condiment. But didn't answer my question about whether it was true if they grilled the bun with mayo.

As I said, it doesn't really matter to me because I don't have any plans to sail on a ship with a Guy's burger joint. But if I did, I wanted to know about the bun because I would gag if I found mayo on my bun.

Maggie

I think this was unnecessarily harsh. I wasn't doubting anyone. What I meant was that I think people were confusing my question. Both the people I quoted said you could ask for the burger with no mayo/donkey sauce as a condiment. But didn't answer my question about whether it was true if they grilled the bun with mayo.

As I said, it doesn't really matter to me because I don't have any plans to sail on a ship with a Guy's burger joint. But if I did, I wanted to know about the bun because I would gag if I found mayo on my bun.

Maggie

Not meant to be harsh...at all!

Just shared my experience - and thought I did answer your question that not all had mayo! :/

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Seriously? Oh, I hate that, too. I'm Fancy Jayne, but I hate the term "plain Jane." Ugh. I wouldn't order it just on principle. :eek:

They used to call me PJ for short as a nick name. If one guy said it 1000 said it, You Jane, me Tarzan, as if it was the first time I ever heard it and so funny.

I too had trouble ordering the Plain Jane. I would order something else first even if I had to remove stuff off of it.

Maggie

Maggie

You posted that we are missing the point.. after I already said I cant taste anything on the ones I have had. You said the point was you read they put donkey sauce on it, and I had already said I cant taste anything on the bun and if they did put donkey sauce on it I think Id have tasted it. Just my own experience.

Im sorry, I was answering my experience that my bun was cold and didnt taste any sauce.. and then someone tells me I missed the point.

Well try the french fries.. they are really good and only have salt.

I was just having fun on the thread .. and now you want to be critical again and this time aimed at me. Im too direct, sorry, but thats me. I didnt mean any harm.

I think this was unnecessarily harsh.

Maggie

Maggie

I do not believe I have missed anything. NONE of my burgers have ever had Donkey Sauce.

I have always ordered the plain one - and I've watched the bun go from the bag, to the grill and to my plate. With no condiments added.

Which...I still believe is what I have said in my previous posts - when I listed mine were a burger, with cheese and a toasted/grilled bun with no additional condiments

I will add I've only had them on the Breeze and am looking forward to them again in August.

Are the lines longer for Guys burgers than on other ships for the burger place?

Also, is this the only grill on the ship or is there still the place with the hot dogs burgers fries and chili?

If it is the only place, does it have the hot dogs and cold salad stuff also?

Also, is this the only grill on the ship or is there still the place with the hot dogs burgers fries and chili?

We never waited more than a few minutes - at Guys. But we don't eat at "prime times" - breakfast or lunch.

Sorry can't help with the dogs....missed them all together when we were on the Breeze :(

LOL- definitely on our list for August.

Not meant to be harsh...at all!

Just shared my experience - and thought I did answer your question that not all had mayo! :/

Sorry, didn't mean that about your post.

Maggie

Yep , :cool:

BreezeDec2264.jpg

They used to call me PJ for short as a nick name. If one guy said it 1000 said it, You Jane, me Tarzan, as if it was the first time I ever heard it and so funny.

I know, I've heard it all, too. People think they're so funny. :cool: Nope, it's just lame.

I too had trouble ordering the Plain Jane. I would order something else first even if I had to remove stuff off of it.

Totally understand that. There's nothing more personal than your name. :p

Archived