Internet Access on Explorer

I am curious as to how the internet access works onboard the Explorer. I know they have the internet cafe there. I would like to post "live" and give updates to all of you from our vacation. I would also like to check email. How does this work and what is the cost? Any info. would be appreciated and thanks.

Stephanie,

I was able to post to the board from the Explorer. You should be able to just get on the net and go to this site and log on as you normally would (same for your e-mail account).

I am pretty sure there is a swiping mechanism on the side of the computers that starts charging your card. If not a swipe, then there is some self-serve type of thingy that you enter your Sea Pass card info in.

I think the rates are about $7 for 15 minutes. The connection is a bit slow so those 15 mins go by quickly. Be sure to check your account info in your tv at night so that final bill won't surprise you.

Hope this help!

You can post "Live" reports from the Explorer using Royal Caribbean On Line , however if you want to post pics from your cruise, you will have to take a laptop and use the Cybercabin connection.

Radio

;) ;)

You swipe your sea pass to access the internet. However, the connection is so slow I would recommend you find an internet cafe while in port if you want to do anymore than send one e-card or post one item. I posted one item to my family website and it too 11 minutes. I used the coupon for 10 miniutes free internet from the C&A book so it only cost me 50 cents

The basic cost of Internet access is 50 cents per minute and it can be very slow. You swipe your SeaPass card in a card reader built in to the keyboard or attached to your PC station. I was just on Voyager and they are now offiering discounted rates if you purchase large blocks of time. The option comes up when you first swipe your card. For example, you could buy 60 minutes for $25 which would reduce the per minute cost to 42 cents. There were larger blocks of time as well that reduced the cost even further. If you need a lot of Internet access your best bet is still to use the Internet cafes in the ports where you frequently get an hour on-line for 2 or 3 dollars.

Yeah, the internet on the ship is really slow. I sailed Explorer from 5-8 to 5-15 to the Western Caribbean. I took my laptop with me as I read internet access was available from your stateroom, with a "special device." The device they refer to is simply a Wireless NIC Card, and you'll be able to get online.

When you get to the ship, head to the Online and you'll have to login and swipe your card at a computer. It will let you setup a username and password to use to connect to the Wireless Network with. You can then connect on your wireless laptop at .50 cents per minute, or a little cheaper if you buy in bulk. I bought 60 minutes for about $24 or something, if I remember right. The internet was very slow and the 60 minutes went by quickly.

My review and pictures are at the link below..

http://www.mycruisepictures.com

Archived