Shuttle service in ports?

gymfreak

Hi

We shall be cruising for the first time on Oceania on board Marina in less than 2 weeks. Does anyone know if they provide a shuttle service in most ports? We are particulary thinking about Stockholm ,Helsinski, Tallinn and Riga. Any information gratefully received

Thank you

Vicki ana Charlie UK

In my experience they do not tell you well in advance

Why I have no idea ..it is very annoying to make other arrnagements then find out they had a free shuttle :eek:

I do not see why they cannot post the ports with the shuttle in the cruise booklet ...surely they must know by then what arrangements they have made

Off my rant

Tallin has a bus to the old town or you can walk it if you are fit

In my experience they do not tell you well in advance

Why I have no idea ..it is very annoying to make other arrnagements then find out they had a free shuttle :eek:

I do not see why they cannot post the ports with the shuttle in the cruise booklet ...surely they must know by then what arrangements they have made

Off my rant

Tallin has a bus to the old town or you can walk it if you are fit

Agree with Lyn. It has been my experience that the shuttles have been mostly provided by the port and not Oceania. I have never been to the ports you mentioned so I can't comment. I have called O very close to sailing and they would not provide an answer as to whether a shuttle would be available or not.

Agree with Lyn. It has been my experience that the shuttles have been mostly provided by the port and not Oceania. I have never been to the ports you mentioned so I can't comment. I have called O very close to sailing and they would not provide an answer as to whether a shuttle would be available or not.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we shall have to wait until the ship sails to be sure and have back up plans

Vicki

Hi

We shall be cruising for the first time on Oceania on board Marina in less than 2 weeks. Does anyone know if they provide a shuttle service in most ports? We are particulary thinking about Stockholm ,Helsinski, Tallinn and Riga. Any information gratefully received

Thank you

Vicki ana Charlie UK

If you read posts from earlier, similar O itineraries there could be some helpful info. regarding shuttles. Post this question on your RollCall, someone may have

an idea. Have a wonderful trip.

Vicki, last August on Marina, there was a shuttle in Helsinki (but beware of 2 hour lunch break!!) and Tallinn. Of course, if you're on the smaller ships, you might dock right at the harbor/market in Helsinki as Nautica did last year. No shuttle was needed for those guys! In Riga the vast majority of ships dock right along the river there and you really don't need a shuttle unless you have very limited mobility. If you walk down the street about 10 minutes, keeping the river to your right, you'll end up at a big statue of 3 riflemen, and HOHO buses start from there. There are also a few interesting places right around there. If you like art nouveau, the art nouveau district in Riga is astounding, and close to where the vast majority of cruise ships dock. I'm not sure I'd recommend spending the money for the HOHO, but the buildings on Alberta and Elizabetes are worth seeking out.

We started and ended in CPH and Stockholm, so can't help you there. There was a shuttle in Gydnia if you go there, but then you need to get yourself to Gdansk (beautiful place), as there isn't a whole lot to see in Gydnia. Our itinerary included Ronne, Denmark (shuttle provided), but I don't think O is going to Ronne (a shame!) this year. If you're lucky enough to be going to Visby, there's no shuttle needed there. St. Petersburg didn't have a shuttle. Berlin is quite a ways from Warnemuende, so no shuttle there, but Warnemuende is a nice place for a stroll and not far at all from the dock.

Enjoy the Baltic. It's fabulous. If you're still here and would like me to look up where the shuttle in Helsinki or Tallinn drops, I can do that tomorrow. We found the tram in Helsinki and took it several places. In Tallinn we just walked up into the old part of town.

We're headed to your neck of the woods this summer (UK and Norway).

As to publishing shuttle info: I'd love shuttle info in advance, but since many of the shuttles are provided by the port and not under Oceania's control, I can certainly understand that they would be leery of promising something that could vanish overnight. I think it's better to not promise something that might be withdrawn by the vendor or port at the last minute. Some shuttles don't run on Sunday; some don't reliably run if there are multiple cruise ships in town; and, some port assignments change, leaving passengers without a shuttle at the last minute. It's just too variable to publish in advance.

Archived