Any Regatta Alaska Returnees Yet?

curtdesilets

Well, here I am sitting late afternoon on our balcony, having had a great day off the ship and as we missed lunch, we headed up for afternoon tea in Horizons - now I truly do need a nap! LOL!

Beautiful dainty sandwiches, delicious scones (to rival my home-made ones and my other favourites scones at Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland) - and the most "calorie-free" choice of cakes I have ever seen (and eaten!) ;):D

It has been another truly glorious warm and sunny day hitting the high 70's again with blue, blues skies and the odd puffy white cloud. Everyone is lapping up this sunshine and of course the sun always makes everyone smile doesn't it?

Now I may have to eat my words slightly about my recent post about bear trips - we did another one today and it couldn't have been more different than the wonderful trip we did in Kodiak. I will not mention the operators name as I don't believe he deserves any publicity, but suffice to say, we were bitterly disappointed with the whole setup. It was an expensive mistake!

However, we are having a fabulous time and in spite of this disappointment, we enjoyed the rest of our day here in Prince Rupert looking at totem poles, the museum, which are all within short walking distance of the dock.

So, three more sleeps and then we are off ..... Boo hoo hoo! Never mind only about 5 months till we get on board the Riviera.

Hypercafe - I have spotted very few children, but the couple we have seen have appeared with crew who I imagine are looking after them, so I am sure they will be doing activities. The one time we did see them they came to the chef's cooking demonstration and the older child had on her chef's hat which had been coloured in and had her design on it and she got to "help" the chef out up on stage. Other than that, no visible signs of them apart from occasionally at dinner. There is one young baby and although we have seen him/her, we have definitely not heard him/her at all. So sorry I am not being much help with your questions on kids club and activities.

Have to dash my sail away Mimosa beckons! :D

BOO HOO HOO BOO HOO HOO BOO HOO HOO

can you all hear the wailing from Seattle ....

BOO HOO HOO ...... :eek:

Fabulous cruise, more to come when I've stopped wailing ..... ;)

Oh well, only a few months till Riviera ..... Yippee,!! LOL!

Have any of you who cruised Alaska this year done the Wild Bears of Anan excursion in Wrangell? I'm wondering if the bears have been sighted catching salmon.

Wrangell wasn't a port on the 10-day May 25 - June 4 Regatta cruise. Looking at the Oceania website for future cruises, it looks like Wrangell is only offered on cruises that start in late June.

May/early June is too early for salmon runs. From a website that describes a Wild Bears of Anan excursion:

Prime Wildlife Viewing: July through August

Each summer
thousands of spawning salmon attract Brown Bears, Black Bears...

http://www.alaskawaters.com/anan-bearviewing.html

You don't even need to go to Alaska to see bears. We have had several bears seen in the lower mainland here. On the news they had a video of two black bears decking it out on a homeowners driveway to determine who would earn this particular driveway. It seems at least three times a week, we are getting news about being careful about bears or cougars or some other wild life. too much encroaching on their habitats.

In fact, a few years ago, a bear hitched a ride from North Van to the CBC offices in Vancouver in a garbage truck. They had to call wildlife officials to come and use a tranquilizing dart and take the bear back to its natural habitat (which isn't exactly downtown Vancouver). It was all over the media.

And to think that we are spending hundreds of dollars on excursions to see bears in Alaska!!! Maybe we should cancel and go to the Kiwanis International Convention in Vancouver instead... Kill two birds with one stone.

A little over a month ago, I paid $25 for a 4.5 hour whale watching cruise in the Monterey Bay. We saw more whales, including a blue, than we did in Alaska where we paid over $100 for a short whale watching tour.

But, bear sightings and whale watching are only part of the equation for going to Alaska. The real reason is cruising with Oceania!!!!!

...A little over a month ago, I paid $25 for a 4.5 hour whale watching cruise in the Monterey Bay. We saw more whales, including a blue, than we did in Alaska where we paid over $100 for a short whale watching tour...

The first time we went to Alaska, the naturalist on board instructed us to look in the trees for tiny white spots resembling ping pong balls; they would be eagles! We didn't see any.

We came home to Okeechobee and, while looking out the window of my office, spotted an eagle scrounging for a branch to use in her nest. This shot was taken with an 18:1 zoom; she's really about 200 feet away...

112037.jpg

She flew away, but not far -- we were able to track her into her nest, in a neighbor's tree...

112057.jpg

112226.jpg

If you look really close in the highest tree above my neighbor's shed, you'll spot the nest. We set up the telescope and watched the nesting pair all the rest of the season, feeding the babies and watching them take their first flight.

083137.jpg

This was March, 2010, and they haven't been back to that nest. We learned from the Florida Wildlife Commission that eagles often rotate nests and may not be back for 4 or 5 years. We keep watching (as do they; the nest is registered on their website).

We love to cruise, especially Oceania, but this is one of the reasons we really love to get back home.

Every day we watch the eagles soaring in the sky. The smaller birds attack them as the eagles rob their nests. There are a fair number of eagles down the inside passage from Nanaimo to Victoria and along the Vancouver coast. Throughout the Gulf Islands, you can see lots of nests as you sail by if you have your binoculars handy. Unfortunately, most cruise ships tend to sail this area at night, so you can't see the full beauty.

The weather at the glacier yesterday was picture perfect -- blue skies as far as you can see and not a cloud in sight! Gorgeous.

Lovely to hear from you and that all is going so well - I am glad you are having the great weather too! :D

Thanks for the reminder---pack binoculars so we can spot the white speck in the trees! Maybe we'll be lucky and see the eagles in flight! We just finished a transatlantic on the Marina and one morning while at sea we spotted a small falcon---perched on the back of a chair outside the Terrace Cafe!

The first time we went to Alaska, the naturalist on board instructed us to look in the trees for tiny white spots resembling ping pong balls; they would be eagles! We didn't see any.

We came home to Okeechobee and, while looking out the window of my office, spotted an eagle scrounging for a branch to use in her nest. This shot was taken with an 18:1 zoom; she's really about 200 feet away...

112037.jpg

She flew away, but not far -- we were able to track her into her nest, in a neighbor's tree...

112057.jpg

112226.jpg

If you look really close in the highest tree above my neighbor's shed, you'll spot the nest. We set up the telescope and watched the nesting pair all the rest of the season, feeding the babies and watching them take their first flight.

083137.jpg

This was March, 2010, and they haven't been back to that nest. We learned from the Florida Wildlife Commission that eagles often rotate nests and may not be back for 4 or 5 years. We keep watching (as do they; the nest is registered on their website).

We love to cruise, especially Oceania, but this is one of the reasons we really love to get back home.

Those are great pictures Hondorner - we saw lots of eagles recently in Alaska, so it was a thrill as although we do have Golden eagles in Scotland, they are much more elusive and rare. I think I have seen 2 in my entire life.

Nofusstravel - it's not the bears we have to worry about here in Scotland, it's the native haggi. They can't half run fast with their two short legs and two longer legs which are perfect for running around the slopes of the hills. They run so fast you can never get a photo of them. Some say they are almost extinct but in some parts, they appear in vast numbers in January. ;):D

Those are great pictures Hondorner - we saw lots of eagles recently in Alaska, so it was a thrill as although we do have Golden eagles in Scotland, they are much more elusive and rare. I think I have seen 2 in my entire life.

Nofusstravel - it's not the bears we have to worry about here in Scotland, it's the native haggi. They can't half run fast with their two short legs and two longer legs which are perfect for running around the slopes of the hills. They run so fast you can never get a photo of them. Some say they are almost extinct but in some parts, they appear in vast numbers in January. ;):D

Robbie Burns brings out the best of the native haggi.:D

Recently returned from June 4-18 cruise to Alaska on the Regatta. It was my first cruise and it did not disappoint. The ship was beautiful, food offered for any appetite, loved the 4pm tea time with the string quartet in the Horizon Room, room small (we chose the least expensive) but well appointed and our cleaning person, Freddy, was delightful and always available, cleaned twice a day at least, folded our jammies and left the chocolate and daily newsletter on our beds. The other passengers were diverse, friendly, and interesting to converse with, especially when they shared cruise experiences. Many were seasoned cruisers. Alaska was overwhelming in beauty. Because our ship was mid size, we were able to go to ports unavailable to larger ships. I especially enjoyed the First Nation presentations, flora and fauna, and zippy zodiac rides. We were abel to view Humbacks, Orca, bear, wolf, glaciers, petroglyphs, the Tongass rainforest and much more. The Buchart Gardens were in full bloom and tea at the Empress was very "civilized." The weather was perfect, the staff on the ship friendly and accommodating. It was a perfect introduction to taking a cruise.

Just got back on July 5. Cruise was fabulous. For those who are interested, the Youth Explorer program was fabulous. Kept the kids quiet (generally) and busy. My grandson had a fabulous time.

Archived