Conch Shells in Nassau

Rambler5678

When my Gf and i were in Nassau last year on the Carnival Pride. I purchased a Starfish that was just pulled out of the sea and we brought it home. Took several days to dry out.

I have a "queens helmet" conch shell we bought from a street vendor. It just had a little sand in it. Not sure if they are illegal to bring back or not. We went right through customs without a problem and I told them I had some shells.

Can you buy them there and how much are they? Are they legal to take home? How do you get rid of the smell issue?

Yes, you can buy them right there along the walkway by the water near the ships and right near the ferry that goes to Paradise Island. In 2010, I got one for $5.00 (decent size). They also had conch horns for $10.00. To avoid smell, I brought a large (at least 1 gallon size) zip lock freezer bag to transport it back. Went into main suitcase, no problems getting it back. If there is a smell, just soak in half bleach/half water solution. That will also get the outer skin off. Mine was fresh, still kind of wet, and did have a little smell, but the freezer bag kept it from stinking everything else. Soaked when I got home to clean it up, then let it dry and no more smell. You may find one already cleaned for more $$$.

Archived