Grand Princess Overview - Cruise to Alaska May 20, 2013

MilliesMom

If you want to know more about the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) I have links and information on my blog:

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/03/20/princess-bon-voyage-experience/

Anyone can sign up for it ... you do not need to know a passenger on board. You do NOT need a travel agent to sign you up either. Just call and make your own reservations.

Passengers are not allowed to purchase the BVE for themselves HOWEVER they can have guests sign up for the BVE and link the reservations and then enjoy all the same benefits.

I'm also posting a day by day review of our cruise on my cruising blog.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/

Wee took and end of season cruise to Alaska a couple of years ago. Price discounts on board and in the shops on shore were incredible. Some as deep as 75%. We bought out the Princess blankets in the gift shop (fleece on one side, and microfiber on the other with an Alaska embroidery). Used them for gifts and everyone wanted more. They have lasted well thru wear and tear and several washings.

Also bought several fleece windbreakers on shore for presents at deep discount.

Enjoy the cruise AND the shopping!

MilliesMom - Thanks for the information - it is really very helpful, as we will be boarding in less than 8 weeks.

I was wondering about the pools. Was one of them covered, and was it used much?

I am glad to hear your positive comments about the Tuscan Inn, as we are staying there three nights prior.

If you want to know more about the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) I have links and information on my blog:

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/03/20/princess-bon-voyage-experience/

Anyone can sign up for it ... you do not need to know a passenger on board. You do NOT need a travel agent to sign you up either. Just call and make your own reservations.

Passengers are not allowed to purchase the BVE for themselves HOWEVER they can have guests sign up for the BVE and link the reservations and then enjoy all the same benefits.

I'm also posting a day by day review of our cruise on my cruising blog.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/

We're doing the BVE for 2 guests, and there will be the two of us and 3 other family members cruising. I've been reading conflicting reports on whether wine is only for guests and not passengers. I've read that passengers must purchase their own wine. I'm wondering if since our guest reservations and ours and our family members are all linked if maybe they will serve wine to all of us. It seems awkward that they would pour wine for just two at the table and ingnore the passengers/relatives! I guess we'll find out soon enough when we board the end of the month!

Your review and pictures are amazing. Thank you so much for spending the time to clue us all in with so much information. It is truly appreciated.

Thank you so much, MilliesMom, for the video of E725...we have that cabin booked for next March. It was good to see! We are also doing the BVE at the end of the month to check out the ship, it's our first Princess cruise!

Thank you so much, MilliesMom, for the video of E725...we have that cabin booked for next March. It was good to see! We are also doing the BVE at the end of the month to check out the ship, it's our first Princess cruise!

IBookHePays - Love your screen name! Perhaps we'll meet onboard at the BVE. We'll be doing it on June 29th! Hope you have a wonderful time on Princess. Though we've never been on Grand Princess, we have cruised many competing lines, many other Princess ships and have found "our fit" is with Princess! Enjoy!

Thanks for your reply. We are looking forward to the 15 days away since my mom passed six weeks ago. Just need to get away for a while. Anxious to see more posts from you in the future....

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Never easy to lose a loved one.

Lots more posts on my blog in the works. Just had to do some real work today for my home based businesses. :D

MilliesMom - Thanks for the information - it is really very helpful, as we will be boarding in less than 8 weeks.

I was wondering about the pools. Was one of them covered, and was it used much?

I am glad to hear your positive comments about the Tuscan Inn, as we are staying there three nights prior.

Yes, there is a covered pool. It is just below the conservatory (deck 15). Pool is on deck 14 and is called Calypso Reef & Pool. YES, the pools and hot tubs were used during the cruise (not by us .. LOL). They were not super crowded but a few people in them.

We're doing the BVE for 2 guests, and there will be the two of us and 3 other family members cruising. I've been reading conflicting reports on whether wine is only for guests and not passengers. I've read that passengers must purchase their own wine. I'm wondering if since our guest reservations and ours and our family members are all linked if maybe they will serve wine to all of us. It seems awkward that they would pour wine for just two at the table and ingnore the passengers/relatives! I guess we'll find out soon enough when we board the end of the month!

Your review and pictures are amazing. Thank you so much for spending the time to clue us all in with so much information. It is truly appreciated.

They offered wine to all of us at the table. When we declined, the server assured us there was no charge for it or soft drinks.

The BVE luncheon is in its own section of the dining room that only the BVE & guests were in that section.

I'm glad you are enjoying the review.

You are going to love this cabin. It was pretty perfect. My only surprise was how low the sofa is ... I have creaky hips and knees so a bit lower than I am use to. Worked out tho, not a complaint but an observation. Good water pressure in the shower too.

Have fun at the BVE and your cruise.

Just a reminder, there are always people that insist on showing up at 9:45 or so in the morning and are really angry when they are not allowed into the terminal. No one will be allowed into the terminal until after 11:00am and then those will be the BVE guests and traveling guests with them.

Sometimes they will move it up to 10:45, but will be the earliest anyone will be allowed in.

Elite/Platinum/suite passengers need to wait in line outside the terminal with everyone else and will be given priority checkin once INSIDE the terminal.

Be sure and check your baggage with the porters and do NOT be intimidated by them. A small tip may be offered, but is NOT required. If you are hassled by a porter, get his number and report it to a uniformed agent at curbside right away. They will be disciplined and probably sent home (without pay) for that day. They wear a bright vest and it has their number on it.

Once you check your luggage it would be a nice day to walk to pier 39 and enjoy a short visit before returning to the pier at your assigned time to check in instead of waiting in line in the heat. Just sayin.

Just a reminder, there are always people that insist on showing up at 9:45 or so in the morning and are really angry when they are not allowed into the terminal. No one will be allowed into the terminal until after 11:00am and then those will be the BVE guests and traveling guests with them.

Sometimes they will move it up to 10:45, but will be the earliest anyone will be allowed in.

Elite/Platinum/suite passengers need to wait in line outside the terminal with everyone else and will be given priority checkin once INSIDE the terminal.

Be sure and check your baggage with the porters and do NOT be intimidated by them. A small tip may be offered, but is NOT required. If you are hassled by a porter, get his number and report it to a uniformed agent at curbside right away. They will be disciplined and probably sent home (without pay) for that day. They wear a bright vest and it has their number on it.

Once you check your luggage it would be a nice day to walk to pier 39 and enjoy a short visit before returning to the pier at your assigned time to check in instead of waiting in line in the heat. Just sayin.

I agree, great advice.

Aerobear...great advice. How early can you check the bags with porters outside of terminal? Once they allow people in line in the doors, does the line move quickly?

cheers

The porters were already hard at work and accepting baggage at 10:45am. Remember the ship is still unloading passengers at 10:30 am and the porters are helping them carry luggage to the taxis and waiting rides. Pier 39 is really close by and a great place to visit. Love all the shops and restaurants and viewing area.

thanks aaerobear. as you can see, i'm going on the grand on september 7th. we have a thread that's been going on for some time now, and i've posted your last reply there so fellow cruisers have a better idea of what to expect on departure day.

i think we are all concerned about september 7th since it's the start of the america's cup yacht races. we're thinking that the usual zoo atmosphere of the embarcadero will be multiplied many times over because of this added event. can you speak to what you think or know will be happening that day. will it take longer to disembark and embark the grand princess?

here's the title to the roll call thread on cc i mentioned above.

Grand Princess Sept 7 2013 SFO - ALASKA RT

thanks for your help.

David, the America Cup Race will be using the new terminal so at least you won't be sharing the terminal with them. The cruise ship part of the new terminal will not be open till next year.

I agree, it is going to be one busy area that day.

About the new terminal ... Pier 27

http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=282

The America’s Cup Authority is planning an outdoor amphitheater and race village to go with the new terminal, which it will initially use as its headquarters until the racing is completed in the Fall.

Once the America’s Cup moves out, the city will install a new waterfront park. The terminal is expected to receive its first cruise ship around the first quarter of 2014.

“Physically, the terminal will be able to accommodate today’s large ships,” said Dailey, “and the future generation of large cruise ships that are being built.”

While the terminal isn’t expected to attract more cruise ships, tourism industry insiders said it will accommodate larger ships, carrying more people.

mary...that's such good information, thank you. i knew a new cruise terminal was being built but i didn't know when it was going to open. next year in october, i'll get to see it as i've booked a 10 day star princess cruise to mexico.

gosh mary, you really are an encyclopedia of cruise knowledge!

by the way, i thought aaerobear's commentary was so informative and useful, i posted it to our roll call for the grand on september 7th. someone from the roll call accused me of plagiarizing the information. it's really hilarious. you should go read what's going on between this other person and myself and you'll get a good laugh. as a matter of fact, when i posted aaerobear's comments, right in the title i put "great information from aerobear" so i don't know what that person's problem is all about.

cheers

We did BVE or its equivalent in LA a couple of years ago when we had four cruisers. This year, we have nine. Do you think they will allow nine to attach to one BVE person? We are in four different cabins. We do this cruise in July and I've checked and it's offered. Thanks for your review.

mary...that's such good information, thank you. i knew a new cruise terminal was being built but i didn't know when it was going to open. next year in october, i'll get to see it as i've booked a 10 day star princess cruise to mexico.

gosh mary, you really are an encyclopedia of cruise knowledge!

by the way, i thought aaerobear's commentary was so informative and useful, i posted it to our roll call for the grand on september 7th. someone from the roll call accused me of plagiarizing the information. it's really hilarious. you should go read what's going on between this other person and myself and you'll get a good laugh. as a matter of fact, when i posted aaerobear's comments, right in the title i put "great information from aerobear" so i don't know what that person's problem is all about.

cheers

Sorry about the issues on your roll call. I often quote others in other threads. I, like you did, reference who said it and also try to include the link to the post if they have questions.

I love doing research, always have. I knew about the new terminal, so it was a quick reference check to double check and post.

We did BVE or its equivalent in LA a couple of years ago when we had four cruisers. This year, we have nine. Do you think they will allow nine to attach to one BVE person? We are in four different cabins. We do this cruise in July and I've checked and it's offered. Thanks for your review.

Well, it might be a bit of a stretch but I would think it is doable. Just be sure ALL the reservations are LINKED to each other and to the BVE person. Our reservations had to be linked to our friends on the BVE. Our boarding pass DID not show BVE, but theirs did. When we went to check in they went to an agent and we went to another. We just told our agent that we were booked passengers accompanying the BVE guests. There was no issue.

IBookHePays - Love your screen name! Perhaps we'll meet onboard at the BVE. We'll be doing it on June 29th! Hope you have a wonderful time on Princess. Though we've never been on Grand Princess, we have cruised many competing lines, many other Princess ships and have found "our fit" is with Princess! Enjoy!

Perhaps we will meet! :)

And thanks, again, Mary, for all the good info!

Archived