Travel with a scooter

cjankowski

Hi

We travel this week and I am so worried about my husbands scooter. We have never taken it and would like to.

What do we need to know about travel on the airlines?

What do we need to take with us?

What about the batteries? Do we need to know what kind? (What if we are not sure about them, will airlines help out)??

Anything we need to take special??

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand in this matter.

Okay - I am not sure of the exact brand is. It is the reg type amigo size, NOT the travel size one. I will have to look at home.

I am more concerned about what / how they handle the batteies. Do we need to know for sure what kind they are? Will the airlines know how to handle them.

I keep seeing people talk about carring on them on the plane. Is this for small light weight ones? I know the ones we have are big, heavy. Like a 12v thing.

I will get more information tonight and hope someone can help me out more.

You don't say where you are travelling from/to, but on European airlines my xperience has been that you ride your scooter to the aircraft and then it is put into the hold with the battery connected.

You need to advise the airline in advance and also request any assistance needed. They will also ask the dimensions and weight of scooter and type of battery. You should have all the relevant information in the scooter handbook.

Are you traveling in the US or flying overseas? If flying domestically, you can drive the scooter to the entrance to the plane. If you still have the information booklet that came with the scooter it would help explain how to put the scooter in free wheel so it can be taken to the hold. A regular size scooter cannot be broken down and put in the cabin on the plane. Attach a name tag and itinerary to your scooter. I am guessing you have a sealed lead acid battery? If yes, it can stay on the scooter. Lithium should go on the plane with you and a standard car battery isn't going to fly I don't think.

If you are flying on a non-US carrier you need to research the requirements for that airline. I have flown on Iberia and there was no option to take the scooter to the door of the plane. I was required to transfer to a wheelchair and didn't see the scooter again until I landed in the US. That made me nervous.

Hello

We are flying on Delta Airlines from Michigan to Alaska. I will make sure and take the book for the scooter. I have a printed sheet with DH name, address and how to put in freewheel mode.

I have notified the airlines already, as he will need assistance between flights.

Thanks again, I just am so worried and I dont know why. So glad the doctor gave me meds to relax me on the flight - LOL. I think I just need a long vacation from my vacation.

We recently flew with Cathay Pacific, which granted, is not a US domestic airline.

But as part of the pre-flight disabled booking process they were very keen on batteries and types, so much so that it helped swing my decision not to take the electric wheels for my chair. There were also detailed questions at check in about spare rechargeable batteries for laptops and such like. The blurb said that some battery types need to be removed from scooters and wheelchairs before storage. They also needed to know dimensions and weight for the hold; it sounds like your DH's isn't a petite version so an advance contact might be appropriate.

I can't fault this approach. After the Dreamliner battery debacle I'm pleased that airlines are keen on power sources that might be a fire risk.

Delta might be much more relaxed, but I'd recommend checking up by telephone beforehand so that you don't have anything to fret about at the airport. Rest assured, whatever you have, they've seen it before and will have a way to deal with it, but advance preparation is always a good idea.

Archived