Sugar, Cream, Butter, etc.

JohnEZ

Hi everyone,

Just wondering, on Cunard ships, how is sugar, cream, butter, jam, etc. served? Do they bring it out in the proper container, or is this done via little packets of everything?

I'm sorry, but there's nothing I would dislike more than to see packets of sugar, butter, jam, etc. in the Britannia restuarant... or any restaurant, for that matter.

Thanks,

John

This is an interesting question. (I haven't been on Cunard yet, so I don't know the answer. Having lunch on QM2 next month and I guess I will be able to report back then but I trust that you'll have your answer by then from some other member!)

But I do agree with you. These little packets, pouches, tubs and other assorted single-serve containers are unacceptable in a fine restaurant, and should be on cruise ships too. They belong in fast-food outlets and in economy-class on airplanes (where I inevitably manage to stain my shirt while attempting to open those abominable little foil pouches of yogurt).

While we're at it, a black mark to any cruise line that uses wooden or plastic "stirrers" for coffee or tea. An actual, metal spoon is the only acceptable solution here. I also think we ought to take a stand against any and all disposable cutlery, dishes, cups/glasses, paper napkins, and such. I have encountered all these on cruises, and disapprove of all of it. Also, the ubiquitous re-usable plastic "glasses" found in most cruise ships' buffet restaurants are not acceptable.

It is irritating to no end to be served (or serve oneself) coffee in a paper "hot cup", take cream (or even worse, non-dairy creamer) from a little paper-and-plastic container and pour it in, then stir it with a peculiarly thin plastic straw, and finally set it down on the table with a paper napkin beneath. Virtually all cruise lines claim to provide an upscale environment, in which this scene should not be possible.

Getting off the soapbox now...

When we were on the Xmas 2004 cruise I pointed out to the maitre'd in the Princess Grill that the little packets of butter that they now use did not give the same impression as the butter curls did two years earlier and she informed me that everything 'open' is now not allowed due to the paranoia about the Norwalk virus.....she highlighted some of the changes that they have made to the buffet service because of it. Shame, because it just does not give the same impression...I am sure it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with sealed individual butter curls!

"When we were on the Xmas 2004 cruise I pointed out to the maitre'd in the Princess Grill that the little packets of butter that they now use did not give the same impression as the butter curls did two years earlier...."

So they are using the packets of everything? Bummer. I was hoping you wouldn't say that :(

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this view on such things ;)

And Doug... please, take the soapbox any time you like. You use it well :) I completely agree with every point your brought up.

Thank you!

-John

In Princess Grill in April 2005 the butter came curled on a silver tray/bowl. Jams/marmalade for breakfast arrived in small glass pots with proper jam lids on a trolley for the guest to choose. Sugar was loose and cream/milk was in jugs.

We didn't eat in Kings Court but I would think butter/milk etc is probably in containers airline style so that it can be picked up easily at the buffet.

In Princess Grill in April 2005 the butter came curled on a silver tray/bowl. Jams/marmalade for breakfast arrived in small glass pots with proper jam lids on a trolley for the guest to choose. Sugar was loose and cream/milk was in jugs.

We didn't eat in Kings Court but I would think butter/milk etc is probably in containers airline style so that it can be picked up easily at the buffet.

Thank you very much--that's precisely what I hoped you would say. :)

Thanks again,

John

And Doug... please, take the soapbox any time you like. You use it well

It is good to hear from iceman666 that the Princess Grill seems to be doing the right thing - hope they do in Britannia as well.

I hope I do not see any of those plastic "glasses" in Kings Court!

I can say just one word on the subject. Four actually. UNITED STATES PUBLIC HEALTH

While the ship is away from US waters the butter can be curled and served on a bed of ice. The sugar is served in bowls and the milk in small jugs. On arrival New York... or other US ports everything is switched to wrapped butter and packets of sugar and awful plastic milk containers. Sadly, it is just a standard routine that Cunard have followed for many years. Necessary just to keep the health inspectors happy!

Stephen

And also applied on a UK based cruise to Norway on the last day, even in Queen's Grill.:rolleyes: And it wasn't just the butter, sugar, and cream, but the other foods on the menu- eggs in particular were only available as omelets or scrambled (eggs mix from a carton versus fresh eggs).

And also applied on a UK based cruise to Norway on the last day, even in Queen's Grill.:rolleyes: And it wasn't just the butter, sugar, and cream, but the other foods on the menu- eggs in particular were only available as omelets or scrambled (eggs mix from a carton versus fresh eggs).

What!! No boiled or fried eggs for breakfast?

I guess the days when you could order caviar in Queen Grill for breakfast on the last day are over for good!

Stephen

Well, on Apr 05 crossing I could order shirred eggs with caviar, fried and poached eggs. They all looked remarkably like real eggs with white around the yellow centre !! And that was at breakfast in Princess while arriving in New York Harbour. Do I detect some inconsistency here ?

Yes, you do, Iceman! Maybe I can get a refund because I didn't get my last fix of caviar!:D But, as I said before, options were extremely limited on the last morning for arrival in Southampton in Queen's Grill. Perhaps the dif. between the two ships? Or was I getting the bum's rush?

We were lucky enough to be in the Queens Grill on our 12/04 cruise.

We had butter in foil for breakfast and lunch. The butter was in swirls for every dinner including the one leaving Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. The artificial sweetener was always in packets and only on the table when requested.

The oddest thing to me was the sugar bowl. There was no indentation for a special sppon to be in the bowl. You always had to use your own spoon so I am sure that "unclean" spoons were used.

We were very pleased with the food in the restaurant and had our fill of anything we could dream of. I learned on the QE2 that you were not limited to the menu or the a la carte menu. If you can imagine it, they most likely have it. I ordered King Crab Legs once and they brought a ten inch pile of legs. I certainly hope the staff enjoyed them as I could only eat 5 or 6. The restaurant did not have the magnificant setting of the Britannia but I enjoyed being able to dine whenever I wanted.

Karen & Jim, Cove Point, MD

Archived