Tipping in Copenhagen

I can't speak for every restaurant, but it is usually included in the final bill. If you feel you want to give an additional tip, that's up to you, but it is not expected, but surely will be appreciated. (maybe anther 10% if you feel generous).

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...

In theory, all tips are included in all services: Restaurants, taxis, hotels etc. So the correct answer should be not to tip. Some people, especially tourists tip anyway, mostly out of habit or in order not to appear stingy, but there is really no reason. Tipping at restaurants or taxis will over time encourage a tipping regime where waiters will expect tips even though they are already paid wages that reflect no tipping, and prices in this city are high enough as they are now. So my recommendation is not to tip! For your information, around 40 % of all Danes say that they never tip at restaurants in Denmark.

See, the downside of not having to tip everybody is that these functions become rare. You will only see these porters at the most expensive hotels. And there is really no standard per bag. And it is also OK not to tip them. But if you feel like tipping, I would say tip them as you would do in the US, not more.

Archived