Key West transportation for 17

polymerpig

A group of 17 of us will be in Key West from 7:30 - 1:30. I have done many searches, so I know most things would be an easy walk, and it's an easy town to negotiate. But my mother-in-law can not walk any distances at all (and will not use a wheelchair), so even taking one of the trolleys she would have trouble walking from the central stops to the various places around that stop. So I have been trying to book some sort of van or limo service that could take us basically door-to-door for her. When you add up the cost of 17 trolley tickets a limo is actually a good deal.

The problem is I have contacted at least 6 transportation services and have not found anyone who can help us! These are taxi or limo services who advertise Key West service for up to 20 people, yet my replies have been "Key West does not allow Limos that large" (though they are advertised) "try City View" (even though I explained it doesn't go where we want to go), etc. or no reply at all. Very frustrated at this point. Maybe we will simply have to take 5 taxis, but I was hoping for fewer vehicles, and perhaps a service who could drive us around and tell us a bit of local history.

Because of the early arrival time I thought we could start at the Southernmost Point, then go to Fort East Martello Museum. Those are our primary goals as a group...then I was hoping for a drive by of some of the places like Hemingway House, Little White House, etc. for my MIL, then a drop off at Mallory Square, where we can split up and everyone walk back to see what they want individually, or just hang around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Taxi rates? Driver/vehicle services who will actually do what their website offers?? Thanks!

I would try Five Sixes Taxi. 305-296-6666

They have vans than can carry 6 or more which would still mean renting 3 vehicles; but the cost of chartering a trolley I think would be prohibitive.

At least give Five Sixes a call and explain the situation to them and if they can't help you they should offer an alternative solution.

A 20 passenger limo could not navigate the streets in Key West.

Mike

I would try Five Sixes Taxi. 305-296-6666

Thanks for their number. They are one of the places I emailed, because their website says they have many sizes of vehicles that could work and it looked promising. They suggested City View instead, which surprised me, but I sent another inquiry today explaining the situation again. I will call directly if I do not hear back again.

• 1 month later...

another option.. seeing as everything is so close to each other... rent an electric car for your mom and 3 others and the rest walk.. you can plan each stop and meet there... everything in key west is walkable

Archived