Hummm, I wonder about the Sapphire.

ChrisB123

Hi! Yes, I don't see many of the names from that roll call. Back in January to the CB? That'll be very nice, like visiting an old friend.

We've done the Caribbean four January's in a row, it was time to try something new. So we chose the Sapphire Princess out of LA.

Hello again, Paul.

Our first Princess cruise was on the Star out of LA - maiden voyage of that ship to the Mexican Riviera. We happened to be visiting our DD & family in that area at the time. Like yourself, our usual winter travel time is mid- to late-January (including my 1/27 birthday).

The Caribbean Princess was so "grand" that we simply didn't have time to take it all in: never did MUTS, never ate at Cafe Caribe, didn't see either production show, never had a seat for Bert Stratton - you get the picture, I'm sure. As soon as we disembarked, we said to each another, "We have to sail on this magnificent ship again. That's all there is to it!" Hence, the encore cruise next January.

We visited Dan & L'Anne during our last trip to Toronto. We went to their lovely home in the 'burbs, then they drove back into downtown Toronto to have dinner with us. They are such wonderful people, and we look forward to seeing them in the fall/winter when our season at the ballet resumes.

Happy Cruising!

Chris & Mike

ChrisB, what date are you going? Maybe you'll find a rollcall with some people to meet ahead of time.

We went on the Star for the MR cruise, probably a few weeks after the other Chris who posted here. There will be plenty to do. The only question mark is weather out of San Pedro. If it's betw. November and March, you can get rain. The coast will usually be around 60s.

Have a great time Chris and don't worry! The Sapphire is nearly new and pristinely clean. the FIVE fresh water passenger pools are awesome and open 24/7! Upper decks are great for viewing everything. Promenade circles entire ship including the bow with is so fun. The Lotus spa and the Kids areas are on opposite ends of the ship, rather nice for relaxing. The main complaints from people have been:

1. Anytime dinning table availability. Try to dine before 6:30 or after 8:00 and you will probably just walk in. The longest we waited was 10 minutes once at 7:00. Large groups of 6+ are more of a problem, as they would at any land based restaurant.
  2. Too large. Not a problem for me as I love to walk. Mostly a problem for older people and I can certainly understand that. My parents walked a tad bit more than they wanted.

I liked the Sapphire so much that I am probably booking the Diamond, her sister ship, next. I am in the minority in that I liked it a little more than the Coral, which was also beautiful and probably has better service.

I am still trying to find people on the 12/31 Sapphire. Have had a roll call going for awhile now without response. If anybody knows somebody on this cruise, send them to the roll call.

Archived