Panama Canal Advise

blanca2

I have done Panama Canal many times. All with Princess. I would highly recommend both the Canal & Princess.

My favorite is the Grand Canal Cruises where you spend the day doing your entire canal transit. This cruise can range from 15-18 days. And is offered as the repositioning cruise in spring & fall.

There is also a 10 day Canal cruise that just goes thru one set of locks & to Gatun Lake.

The Coral Princess is a lovely ship to try.

If you have any more questions ask away.......

Good Luck with your planning. :)

Which cruise line would you recommend, we are planning on traveling Dec. 2006. Any suggestions, what was your experience.

We took a 10 night partial transit cruise in December of 2004 and had a wonderful time. The itinerary was outstanding (Costa Rica, Belize, the Canal, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, mixed in with 4 sea days) and the ship is beautiful. If you want a shorter cruise (although a full transit would be terrific), I can certainly recommend this one.

I would recommend the full transit, I've done it twice both directions and it's great! They have them in April/May and Sept., all the major lines reposition their ships at that time. Just my preference but I can't see doing a partial transit.

I went with Princess and RCI, you can't go wrong with either one. I'm currently looking at doing the Radiance, Miami to San Diego end of April, 2006. Radiance class, great ships to do the canal, lots of glass in the public rooms so walking around the ship you can see outdoors!

Susie

We Have Done Both The Trans-canal And The Partial Transit, And Each Has Its Own Advantages. We Went From East To West, And It Is Thrilling Going Under The Bridge On The Western Side. And Seeing Panama City's Skyline. That Said The Second Set Of Locks Was Not As Exciting As The First.

The Advantage Of Doing The Partial Transit (we Did The Coral Princess And Loved Her) Is That You Have The Opportunity To Get Off The Ship, And See Part Of Panama. We Did The Railroad Trip Across The Isthmas, And It Was Wonderful.

Either Way You Cannot Go Wrong. The Panama Canal Transit Is Awesome.

Some ships are too large to sail into or through the canal. If you're interested in actually seeing the canal from your ship, check to make sure. For example, Princess' Grand Class ships can't go into the canal. Coral Princess, however, is a great ride into the canal! Have fun!

I've done 2 full transits and one partial transit, all on Princess. I like the full transit better, but also enjoyed the partial transit on the Island Princess--it's one of my favorite ships. It depends on when you want to cruise, the full transits seem to be mainly when ships are going from the Caribbean to Alaska, or vice versa. Princess sails the partial transits during the Caribbean season.

If you do the partial transits, one of the shore excursion options is to take a smaller boat all the way to the Pacific side (through the Pacific locks and under the Bridge of the Americas). Worthwhile if you don't do the full transit.

If you do a canal cruise, I'd suggest reading "The Path Between the Seas" (about the building of the canal) beforehand.

Do a search on any online travel site, requesting round-trip to the same port (partials are usually 10 days). If a Panama Canal cruise begins and ends in the same port, this is partial transit.

Celebrity offers partial transits, along with Princess.

jff50......is the smaller-ship excursion only offered by Princess?

Can't say for sure, since I've only done it one time with Princess. I'd guess that other cruise lines have the same type of excursion on ships that don't do a full transit. You don't need it if the cruise ship is doing a full transit.

jff50......is the smaller-ship excursion only offered by Princess?

Only passengers booked on a Princess excursion will be allowed off in Gatun Lake. No one else will be allowed off the ship there. They will be tendered in and meet their tour guides.

The ship will then be moved back through the Gatun locks and relocated to Cristobal. The tour operators will return you to the ship there nce your excursion is over. Those who did not get off the ship will be allowed off at Cristobal (if they wish).

I'd really suggest that you check out the ports that each ship goes to. Also the amount of time in each port. You need to decide what you want to see, besides the canal. Another issue is where you live, plan on choosing the port closest to home for your return flight. We live near Los Angeles and opted for a cruise on Celebrity's Mercury (a long time ago) starting in Ft Lauderdale and ending up in Encinada, Mexico. You'll have a wonderful time, no matter what you choose!!

Shar

We have done two full transits, wonderful cruises. First one was on RCCL , Grandeur of the Seas. Second transit was on Princess- Regal Princess. Both were great. Highly recommend it. We went in Feb and March. Good weather both times.

Cori

Archived