Activities/cruise for a 3 year old

telli01

Hey guys

We need some help :) We've been on several cruises in the past but we are thinking about taking our first cruise with our son in March (he'll be 3 in January). We are thinking about the Liberty, eastern caribbean (half moon cay, san juan, st thomas, and grand turk). Are there any activities that you can think of that he'd be able to do besides playing in the sand at the beach? We are fine with booking excursions on our own and we're an active family. He loves the water and riding in the boat/4 wheelers. We are just trying to decide if we should take him now or wait until he's a little older. Any help you can give us would be great!

You might want to post this on the ports of call boards for each destination to find suggestions for kid-friendly activities. In any given location, there are often museums, zoos/aquariums or gardens that would be a good outing for a 3 yr old. I vaguely remember that there are some pirate-themed attractions in St. Thomas and there's a park and skyride for a scenic view right by the cruise terminal. In Puerto Rico, my 4 yr old would likely be fascinated with the bioluminscent lagoons but I'm not sure he'd be able to do the boat ride through them at his age/swimming ability. We also tended to look for parks where we might find a playground, or any open space where he could run around with bubbles, kites, etc.

Definitely get a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know what might interest your family...and it will give hints on how to do them!!!

At 3, all the mainstream ships have kid's clubs, with activities suited to age. Most ships do require that kids (and adults) NOT be in diapers of any kind, if the ship's pools will be important to you, that's something to keep in mind!

It's totally doable with a 3 year old, but he won't really remember or appreciate it until he's older....but he will have a good time on a vacation...any vacation with his parents! Whether it's a cruise or something else!!!

We're taking our son on his first cruise this nov (he'll be 3 year and 4 month old) and DD (who will be 6 years 4 mos.)

As for excursions we're planning to do a dolphin encounter (more for DD) DS may or may not care, but the photos will be priceless. We're also doing a pirate themed adventure on a big pirate ship with real pirates in costume (DS and DD and DH will all love it!) Then, our 3rd port is going to be a beach day. I'll try to remember to stop back if I have any helpful hints after we cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
We're taking our son on his first cruise this nov (he'll be 3 year and 4 month old) and DD (who will be 6 years 4 mos.)

As for excursions we're planning to do a dolphin encounter (more for DD) DS may or may not care, but the photos will be priceless. We're also doing a pirate themed adventure on a big pirate ship with real pirates in costume (DS and DD and DH will all love it!) Then, our 3rd port is going to be a beach day. I'll try to remember to stop back if I have any helpful hints after we cruise.

Hmmm... Somehow I doubt the pirates are actually real ones. You certainly wouldn't want your kids around them if so. ;)

Archived