Things wrong with aft balconies

warmwinds

On the Norwegian Sun, a 17 night thru Panama Canal.....got up close and personal photos of the exact suite we're staying in. We like the balcony (so far!) because of the shade (I am red haired and husband is blonde...errmm we BURN!. Also we can nap out there on the lounger/put it in the corner! The suite is aft and on the port side on the end. So it's bigger, we like that too.

As for a super soaker, will they let you on the ship with that...hahah........and I don't do the "naked" thing on my balcony ever so I guess big loss for whoever is parked behind us:)

I don't like aft balconies, I don't like that they exist. I lived in the aft portion of the Galaxy in Alaska and the Century in Europe. I love to feel the wake of the ship from different levels and find different areas of deck as a vantage point. I think that all aft balconies do is make a big part of the ship not accessible to all of the passengers and accessible to just a few. The one of the things that I dislike about many of the newest generations of ships sailing--less deck space options.

Another thing that some might consider a disadvantage is:

When you're docked sometimes there is a ship docked behind you or backed up to you so that you have people staring at you during the day.

Brings back fond memories of "mooning" in the 60's.

I don't like aft balconies, I don't like that they exist. I lived in the aft portion of the Galaxy in Alaska and the Century in Europe. I love to feel the wake of the ship from different levels and find different areas of deck as a vantage point. I think that all aft balconies do is make a big part of the ship not accessible to all of the passengers and accessible to just a few. The one of the things that I dislike about many of the newest generations of ships sailing--less deck space options.

Aft balconies are on passenger decks with cabins. These are not decks where you would have access to the back of the ship.

Aft balconies are on passenger decks with cabins. These are not decks where you would have access to the back of the ship.

Ships used to have every aft tier open to all passengers, regardless of whether the decks were passenger cabin decks or public area decks. This outside deck area was considered public area. The cruise lines found out they can make money by making this area private, and so they did. All Celebrity ships up to the Millennium and her sisters have the full area of the aft open to passengers.

the NCL "twins", Norwegian Wind and Dream have both forward and rear facing decks available to the general populace. there were benches in the fore and chairs aft. i spent many a dreamy day either approaching each of the Hawaiian islands or watching them fade in the distance. while i do enjoy an aft balcony on ships that have them i do wish there were more designed with access to all! ;)

Archived