Spain & vat tax question

yvonneh

Hi,

Could someone please explain the VAT tax to me?

I am sailing out of Barcelona next month. What gets taxed? And more specifically, if I pay to upgrade my classic drink package to premium when I board in Barcelona, will that amount be taxed? How much is it?

Thank you!

I believe it is an 8% tax, applied to all purchases (food, beverage, hard goods) made while the ship is in Spanish waters. We were alerted to this on our last two cruises (fall 2012 and fall 2011), and made sure we made purchases (wine at dinner) before the ship entered Spanish waters.

I believe it is an 8% tax, applied to all purchases (food, beverage, hard goods) made while the ship is in Spanish waters. We were alerted to this on our last two cruises (fall 2012 and fall 2011), and made sure we made purchases (wine at dinner) before the ship entered Spanish waters.

Does X let you know when you are in and out of Spanish waters?

Does X let you know when you are in and out of Spanish waters?

This is also what I would like to know. This fall, our TA leaves from Barcelona and remains at ports in Spain the next three days. Frankly, I don't know what "Spanish Waters" means, as in, are there also international waters further from shore we might be sailing in during those days:confused:

I did call Celebrity this week and the CC woman I talked to was great. However, I think she thought my question about this was pretty weird about buying a soda package during the first three days of the cruise. She talk to the resolution dept and told me there would be no such 8% tax added. However, have read about this vat tax too many times to trust the answer I was given.

The following is the exact quote from the Celebrity Today (Silhouette TA, Dec 2012):

"..we are required to collect an 8% Spain VAT on all bar and specialty restaurant sales while the vessel is within 12 miles of territorial Spanish waters and while calling in Spanish ports. The VAT will be added to the total amount of the sale."

This is followed by a statement of times when the ship would be in Spanish territorial waters for the call at Barcelona. Our port call at Tenerife was NOT mentioned, however.

Archived