Les Baux from Toulon on our own

travellingshoes

During our day in Toulon, I'd most like to go to Les Baux. I've been to many of the other local sites and want to see more, and I think that DH (who hasn't been to Europe) would love it. The cruise line (rccl) isn't offering an excursion to Les Baux, which gives me four (I think) options:

1. Public Transport- I'd do this in a bigger city, but I don't think there's a good option for it here

2. Private Tour- possible (I think) but pricey

3. Taxi- maybe the most time efficient, but not cost effective

4. Rent a car- self explanatory, but lots of unknowns

Any suggestions? What would you do?

We love Les Baux, not to mention the surrounding region (we have previously rented an apartment in nearby St Remy). If you want to go to Les Baux from Toulon, and do not want to take a tour (we personally avoid nearly all tours) then you will need to either rent a car of hire a private car/driver (very expensive). There is no way to get to Les Baux via public transit. We have driven thousands of miles within France and its not difficult (as long as you stay out of Paris) if you rent or own a GPS to handle the navigation. If you do decide to drive to Les Baux, you should consider that its unlikely you would want to spend an entire day in this small village. So you might want to consider driving directly to Les Baux, and if you have time you can stop in Aix en Provence on your way back to Toulon.

Hank

We love Les Baux, not to mention the surrounding region (we have previously rented an apartment in nearby St Remy). If you want to go to Les Baux from Toulon, and do not want to take a tour (we personally avoid nearly all tours) then you will need to either rent a car of hire a private car/driver (very expensive). There is no way to get to Les Baux via public transit. We have driven thousands of miles within France and its not difficult (as long as you stay out of Paris) if you rent or own a GPS to handle the navigation. If you do decide to drive to Les Baux, you should consider that its unlikely you would want to spend an entire day in this small village. So you might want to consider driving directly to Les Baux, and if you have time you can stop in Aix en Provence on your way back to Toulon.

Hank

Great! Thank you, Hank. I was hoping to hear from you.

If you own a GPS, such as Garmin or Magellan, bring it along. You can download Europe maps and program the route before you leave. Go to viamichelin.com to get maps and alternate routes, tolls, driving times and distances that you can then use when you program your own GPS. It would save you a lot of time and you don't have to get used to a new device in the rental car.

Archived